Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

George Ziets opening a new RPG studio - Digimancy Entertainment

DeepOcean

Arcane
I prefer 10 or so hours of good well made content, specially from an indie studio. MotB wasn't a super long expansion but absolutely fascinating, people forget but Fallout 1 isn't super big and super long RPGs don't lend well to good C&C, the more developed C&C is, the shorter the game must be because all that content takes time and money.

I think the length of the Shadowrun games by Harebrained Schemes is ideal, I just hope for more mechanically rewarding games and not RPGlites. The worst it can happen is to try to make a way too big of a game and be stuck on development hell with no budget. If you guys are successful, you can always make a bigger sequel later. At this point, I prefer 10 hs of incline than 100hs of a broken half finished game.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I would find a 10hs NumaNuma game about exploring the different anal sphincters of the Bloom more rewarding than that game ended being.

G Ziets

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
G Ziets

What's your preferences on game length? Tight campaigns like Fallout and MotB, ~100 hour grand adventures, or something in between?
On the whole, I prefer a tighter game where everything reinforces the story / themes, and filler content is avoided. If budget allows a somewhat longer game that still manages to avoid filler, I’m fine with that, but that’s rare for an indie team.

Fairfax

Arcane
Opinion on RTwP versus TB?
Turn-based. I can play and enjoy RTwP games (e.g., Infinity Engine, Pathfinder), often by setting them up to pause on all the optional events, but I still enjoy turn-based systems better.
What about phase-based? :M
(declaration phase -> (ideally non-simultaneous) resolution phase)

I checked what kind of setting this Ravenloft is. And now I want Ravenloft RPG.

ravenloft.0.jpg

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I checked what kind of setting this Ravenloft is. And now I want Ravenloft RPG.
Yeah, me too... them talking about Ravenloft in the video got me really hyped for one. There are two Ravenloft first person action RPGs that came out back in the 90s that are really cool, but they'd probably be pretty hard to get into now if you're not used to that kind of game.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Just give him Arcanum, Ravenloft and Dark Sun is a tryhard shallow settings. You can make anything in Forgotten Relams and it will be better than Ravenloft or Dark Sun not because WotC forces FR, but because it is much much more developed. And developing Dark Sun or Ravenloft is a chore. Yeah, survival and gothic nightmare but they damn look like b-movies, trying to be apocalyptic and terrifying.

Diggfinger

Arcane
People who have been interviewed about Wasteland 3 in recent months other than Brian Fargo - Tim Campbell (game director), Jeremy Kopman (lead area designer), Thomas Beekers (senior narrative designer). At this stage in development they could probably fill lead designer tasks.

So Brother None is now the senior narrative designer? That's quite a career.

Why do we hate him again?

you forgot teh most important part: HE INTERVIEWED JASON ANDERSON!!

Something us mere mortals can only dream of.

Brother None should be a fucking Diablo IV boss :cool::cool::cool:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Whatever setting you chose, please, gives us atmospheric visuals, don't go for that pastel cartoony indie crap that has been plaguing low budget games since forever now.

That's ok if you can't afford Deadfire's levels of visual quality, just make it look "serious", please.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
You can make anything in Forgotten Relams and it will be better than Ravenloft or Dark Sun not because WotC forces FR, but because it is much much more developed. And developing Dark Sun or Ravenloft is a chore. Yeah, survival and gothic nightmare but they damn look like b-movies
Don't talk shit about Gerald Brom.

Darkzone

Arcane
I’ve currently got a document full of RPG and RPG-hybrid pitches. We’ve started prototyping one of them – I can’t say much about it yet, except that it’s an original setting with a vibe you’d expect from us. Down the road, we’re planning to develop some concept art pieces and setting info that we can share. Of course, there are also some existing IPs that I’d love to work in. For example, I’d happily drop everything for a Ravenloft RPG. In fact, a number of the WotC IPs would be fantastic, like Dark Sun and Planescape. In the Matt Chat interview, we talked about some other possibilities too - spiritual successors and novels that would lend themselves to great RPGs. (I think he’ll be posting those segments soon.)
George
Dark Sun and Planescape is preferable before Ravenloft. You should only make Ravenloft, if you love victorian era type of horror and even then it is easy to fall to modern tropes that miss the mark and horror games exits in masses. You rather struck me as a mindfuck guy and i think that this is your strength, instead of being a Mary Shelley. So instead of the fear or a warning, go for the confusion and manipulation.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Opinion on 2D vs 3D?
Isometric or 2D. Mainly this is because 3D games lend themselves more to action combat systems IMO, while isometric or 2D encourage a more tactical, strategic perspective, which is what I prefer. (I know that’s not always the case, but I still prefer the overhead view.)

I'm free from Feb 2020 if you are looking for an artist. :D

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Opinion on 2D vs 3D?
Isometric or 2D. Mainly this is because 3D games lend themselves more to action combat systems IMO, while isometric or 2D encourage a more tactical, strategic perspective, which is what I prefer. (I know that’s not always the case, but I still prefer the overhead view.)

Yes plox give this guy a call.

maxresdefault.jpg

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Opinion on 2D vs 3D?

Need a bigger
:shredder:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom