Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
you can disable quest markers.
I failed to find a way to de-select a quest in the journal and remove the quest arrow from the compass. Is there a way and did I just fail the PER/INT check?

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
One good review from a not so good youtuber:M

Digimon Cyber Sleuth is so good. Go play people. Drop this game and play it later.

LudensCogitet

Learned
you can disable quest markers.
I failed to find a way to de-select a quest in the journal and remove the quest arrow from the compass. Is there a way and did I just fail the PER/INT check?

I couldn't find a way to disable the quest marker, but I did disable the entire HUD and as far as I've gone that way (only half an hour or so) it's actually improving the exploration and combat quite a bit.

I've been pleasantly surprised to see that the world and dialogue don't require the use of waypoints for navigation so far, except the map in the case of a side quest.

Remains to be seen how well that will work as I continue. I'm doing the first main quest on Monarch, however far in that is.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Obsidian's new overload is very happy with The Outer Worlds current state. It seems is doing p.well. +M

I've seen plenty of random people in social media (most of whom I didn't even know were gamers) talk about playing it, so it does seem to be attracting the casuals. I guess Obsidian wins.
rating_negativeman.png

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I found the Inventory UI pretty terrible.
80% unused screen space while inspecting an item. All those numbers are just small fonts across the screen.
There's no reason why the item tabs cannot be larger.

ECthCx7.jpg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I was at Best Buy today getting a new phone and was talking to the guy about games while my files transferred. He said he was playing Outer Worlds but it was frustrating because "it's so hard. I keep dying over and over and can't make progress." :lol:

Deleted Member 16721

I was at Best Buy today getting a new phone and was talking to the guy about games while my files transferred. He said he was playing Outer Worlds but it was frustrating because "it's so hard. I keep dying over and over and can't make progress." :lol:

I've been dying over and over on Supernova. :) And if it's not me dying it's a companion. The struggle is real, real fun.

Felix

Arcane
I didn't know if you ignore someone, the codex act like he doesn't exist for you till now, no more show ignored post, cool.

Prime Junta

Hey, I thought of something nice to say about TOW.

It's a new franchise, and it's selling well. That's good news for everyone in an industry that's seems like it's just delivering one <word> <word> <roman numeral> after another. Maybe down the line it'll give some executive the fortitude to go "damn it, let's go for it" when somebody pitches a new IP that's actually good.

Butter

Arcane
Patron

It's a new franchise, and it's selling well. That's good news for everyone in an industry that's seems like it's just delivering one <word> <word> <roman numeral> after another. Maybe down the line it'll give some executive the fortitude to go "damn it, let's go for it" when somebody pitches a new IP that's actually good.
Maybe, but I wonder how well it would be doing if Bethesda hadn't shat the bed so hard with its last two Fallout games. If the takeaway from TOW is "There's room for new IPs, as long as those new IPs are capitalizing on the failure of existing IPs", it might not change very much.

Codex Year of the Donut

The game was effectively pitched as FNV2 though.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

tyranny but with budget would be pretty cool tbh. it was a novel concept where paradox had confidence on the whole isometric RPG thing until they botched both company's relationship with underwhelming sales (part of it due to marketing, but it is also an unfinished game from narrative standpoint).

TOW being successful mediocrity might bring the execs confidence to invest on a more risky, seemingly unpopular projects, or obsidian will turn into the next big sterilized game churning company for the next 5-10 till they can't anymore and ax them.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
At the very least these options still existed in Tyranny. TOW just lacks any kind of subtlety -- you know from the start what the game expects you to do. It never throws a twist in order to make the player question his/her alliances. There's no development when it comes down to the factions.

Its not fair statement the game has some anti corporate and council bias at very start but then you can see that those freedom fighters are bunch of religious nut-jobs, terrorists and opportunistic bandits and that:

Those Apples are made from people.

The Edge-water Boss turns to be reasonable man while the Hippie Commune is sitting there guarded by only one person who knows how to shoot gun in middle of bandit country she even admits that in dialogue and it turns out the head of commune is spiteful witch.

Rosarium Boss did cared about the consequences of his experiments to the point he shoot himself when you told him what his corporation planned to do, the Security Boss is bro like a man who quits because he does care for people he leads and Bandit Lady Boss is slogan spewing Terrorist whose idea of resisting Corporations is to raid small towns and kill the workers to free them.

Monarchy? Iconoclasts the ISIS level nut-job MSI pretty decent folks who who work hard to keep the sanctioned and isolated colony afloat.

Board? Assholes but they do try to keep the system from failing over and your savior science guy?

Murdered lot of people before he managed to revive you the replaceable pawn in his schemes.

Only place I did liked was Pioneer because people there fought and toiled hard to protect their kin but... I sided with board and was not even ordered to sabotage or take over them in any shape or form.

What Underlight purpose was? They are neither bandits nor corp, but at this point I just rushed to finale there was none there I cared for except this cute mechanic girl, Max was good character, Sam was funny while I wanted to vent the spoiled girl turn pirate cause its COOOL unlike being surgeon and heal people, danger hair and angry teen boy to air lock.

Game is decent, fun for first 10-15 hours and then comes flat partly accuse of cut content but more likely cause its 2019 and its needs to be in offensive. Oh and pistols indeed make at least combat challenging unlike some machine guns like weapons and melee latet on.

:3/5:/:5/5:

Game was fortunate to be published after Fallout 76 debacle doubt it would be comersial success without all those :butthurt:Bethpizda fanboys buying it.

Last edited:

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The Edge-water Boss turns to be reasonable man while the Hippie Commune is sitting there guarded by only one person who knows how to shoot gun in middle of bandit country she even admits that in dialogue and it turns out the head of commune is spiteful witch.

Rosarium Boss did cared about the consequences of his experiments to the point he shoot himself when you told him what his corporation planned to do, the Security Boss is bro like a man who quits because he does care for people he leads and Bandit Lady Boss is slogan spewing Terrorist whose idea of resisting Corporations is to raid small towns and kill the workers to free them.

Monarchy? Iconoclasts the ISIS level nut-job MSI pretty decent folks who who work hard to keep the sanctioned and isolated colony afloat.

Board? Assholes but they do try to keep the system from failing over and your savior science guy?

But among them we have Junlei - who is super-competent, stands up against oppression and loves her people and loved by them in return. Even her corporate enemy complements her unshakable ethics.

And what warranted such prominent force of good in the world of gray and flawed-but-well-meaning characters?

Answer: she is second half of intended asexual lesbian pairing for the longest companion quest in the game.

PS I was almost forgiving after meeting Martin, but then Junlei happened.

Last edited:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
And what warranted such prominent force of good in the world of gray and flawed-but-well-meaning characters?

Answer: she is second half of intended asexual lesbian pairing for a longest companion quest in the game.

PS I was almost forgiving after meeting Martin, but then Junlei happened.

Did not wanted to comment on this one Comrade and face my post being cut and kicked onto the Tartarus of game-drama by our corporate (((shill))) in charge.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Cows are a Firefly reference.

And yes, the only corporate bias is at the beginning and coming from Phineas who is clearly an unreliable narrator. Otherwise corporate dudes are often decent folks while anti-board dudes are unlikable pricks. To say that "there's no subtlety game is based against corporations" is quite ironic, because that's the thing about subtlety, not everybody gets it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom