Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Beholders in RPGs and other media

Generic-Giant-Spider

Yet you drew the summoning circle...

Are you like one of those hentai girls that want to be raped but constantly spam No while having grand time?

ONLY ON THE INSIDE.

Viata

Arcane
The original Final Fantasy has an Evil Eye monster, which is basically a Beholder.
It's even called Beholder in Japanese. There are some other monsters also called Beholder that are just a single eye:

Tibia
German shovelware Mmo that was popular in Poland when i was a kid.
Tibia is big in Brazil. Even now people still play it.

Last edited:

Deleted Member 16721

Just have to say what a great thread this is! You should do more threads for other creatures! Let's see gnolls, dragons, golems, lizardmen and others! ;)

Generic-Giant-Spider

I played Eye of the Beholder before I ever heard the phrase "beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

So when I heard that phrase as a kid I was confused and didn't recall encountering any monster called "Beauty." Incredibly, I was never held back a grade.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played Eye of the Beholder before I ever heard the phrase "beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

So when I heard that phrase as a kid I was confused and didn't recall encountering any monster called "Beauty." Incredibly, I was never held back a grade.
Spiders go to school?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
ADOM (and, if I remember correctly, Nethack) don't have Beholders as such, but there's various Floating Eyes, that do have some special powers.
latest

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Ultima games had Gazers:
Gaffer.gif

Gazer3.gif
Wandering-eyes.gif

Gazer2.gif
Gazer6.gif

Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back also had beholders:
5327-dungeon-master-dos-screenshot-combat-s.gif

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
The Ice Tyrants in Water node in ToEE are bretty neat.
Why would you ruin a perfectly good grpg thread by posting literal anime in it though.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Let's not forget that Beholders can be just as three-dimensional (or otherwise) as any other monsters in D&D. For an example, look at the Spectator Beholder in Baldur's Gate 2 (spoilers for BG2):

This is a unique encounter that you can solve with violence if you choose, but there's another way, and only the wisest or smartest might discover it...

I mean there's also the option of just leaving the Spectator alone. What did this poor Beholder ever do to do, anyway?

Such great graphics and art. Nnng.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom