Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Terran Shield: Edge of the Abyss - X-COM: Terror from the Deep spiritual successor

ArchAngel

Arcane
This trailer is much better and I hope you do better this time.
For me personally I would rather you had graphics like Xenonauts 2 than this. Environment is very low detail for such close camera and those aliens look like they came from horror movies from fifties when they were men in rubber suits playing aliens and monsters. They are neither scary or believable (who thought having frog like enemy is a good idea ? ). Weapon effects and sounds are also very off putting for my taste.

I hope you manage to find your audience for the KS, I will check this out when it is released and finished, maybe some of things that bother me now are removed or enhanced.

_Arhaeus_

Arcane
Developer
The environment and textures are not final and neither the look of the aliens. Regarding the Ka-Um-La it is not just thrown into the game, it has a lore and a background. You can read here something about its background: http://www.terran-shield.com/game/aliens.htm
It is one of the weakest aliens, so it isn't supposed to be scary. The Ud'Glee is the one who is bad and scary.
I will put an update on the Kickstarter campaign about the alien races and how we see them in the game, especially from a game mechanics perspective. Let's not forget that Terran Shield is a strategy game mainly, not a visual game with shallow gameplay and great graphics.

Mazisky

Magister
I noticed now this. I have to say the graphics looks really cheap, but the atmosphere feels really great, expecially the underwater parts.
That's fine because the first can still be improved.

_Arhaeus_

Arcane
Developer
Thanks to all X-Com and Jagged Alliance fans for this! ;)
We couldn't have done this without your support. There were a lot of fans who paid for big packs on our campaign. We are grateful, proud and we have a huge responsibility in making the game that must live up to their expectations.

We work hard for an update on the inventory, that will be present also on the 0.25 demo version.

Many thanks also for the people of this forum, your thoughts and comments paid off!

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
_Arhaeus_ completely irrelevant to the development of the game, but is your team a husband-and-wife one?

_Arhaeus_

Arcane
Developer
My team is the team presented on Terran Shield website and Kickstarter page (with details about everyone) and, at the same time, is also a husband-and-wife one.

She became more involved in the project when we launched our website and helped with editing and proofreading. Then she did voice acting for the trailer and videos. And posts updates on our KS page.

_Arhaeus_

Arcane
Developer
Our backers wanted us to take a stand on the exclusivity distribution matter, so we did:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/terranshield/terran-shield-edge-of-the-abyss-0/faqs

"Q: Will Terran Shield be available exclusively on Epic Store?

A: We will not make an exclusivity distribution contract with any third party (be it Epic Store, Steam, GOG etc.) in the future. Our game will be always available for sale on our site and we believe that people should be free to choose where they want to buy their games from."

lightbane

Arcane
They look better than the ridiculous Phoenix Point vehicles, but it's not too hard to achieve. We still have to see how they'll work in-game.

_Arhaeus_

Arcane
Developer
The Poseidon Cave bas-relief is a fictional representation made to fit the game’s background and lore, but the images which inspired it are very real and ancient. They make us wonder if we really know our true past, history, origin...

Attachments

• Basorelief3M.jpg
    Basorelief3M.jpg
    427.2 KB · Views: 404
looks cool, love all the details and features you seem to want to add to the game. One tiny almost meaningless comment that would in no cause me not to want the game if you did not change it (it is something in many games), but I always find it odd that throwing a grenade should take less action points than firing a gun. Pulling a pin or activating a grenade, pulling it from a ones belt and then winding up and throwing it would seem to take more effort than simply aiming and pulling a trigger of a already armed gun.

But really, I understand there could be balance issues for these choices. I have been following this game for some time, hope to purchase the full version some day.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
looks cool, love all the details and features you seem to want to add to the game. One tiny almost meaningless comment that would in no cause me not to want the game if you did not change it (it is something in many games), but I always find it odd that throwing a grenade should take less action points than firing a gun. Pulling a pin or activating a grenade, pulling it from a ones belt and then winding up and throwing it would seem to take more effort than simply aiming and pulling a trigger of a already armed gun.
In the far future of 2XXX, you just have to say "yeet!" and a grenade will automatically fly to where you want it to. Much faster than aiming a gun!

_Arhaeus_

Arcane
Developer
We will take in consideration adding more TU for throwing. During the beta we will try different sets of gameplay settings to see what will play the best.

_Arhaeus_

Arcane
Developer
Our first inventory model for both Air Force and Aqua Force soldiers. With representation of the spot the soldier has on the map, the attributes, the possibility to switch on the inventory of another team member, the info for selected objects; ground, backpack, belt, right hand, left hand, right leg, left leg, right shoulder and left shoulder slots.

Attachments

• InventoryAquaNEW_Tina02Mm.jpg
    InventoryAquaNEW_Tina02Mm.jpg
    925.1 KB · Views: 391
  • InventoryJungleNEW_Tina03mm.jpg
    InventoryJungleNEW_Tina03mm.jpg
    952 KB · Views: 396

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Something about the UI gives me a very strong 90s era shareware impression.
Not even sure what it is exactly.
The buttons with their gradient background?
The way everything drawn is shaded?
Those heavily-stylized-artsy backgrounds?

Not that that is negative, if it is what you are going for.
If it is accidental, I'd say either change it or embrace it.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Something about the UI gives me a very strong 90s era shareware impression.
Not even sure what it is exactly.
The buttons with their gradient background?
The way everything drawn is shaded?
Those heavily-stylized-artsy backgrounds?

Not that that is negative, if it is what you are going for.
If it is accidental, I'd say either change it or embrace it.

Nailed it, couldnt put my finger on what seemed strange

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom