Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Deleted Member 16721

Yeah, let's all start talking spoilers freely. That makes for a great thread. :stupid::roll:

Kaivokz

Arcane
While I think your point about choosing to do something more interesting rather than following the path of least resistance is an interesting one, I don't think this your characterization is particularly fair in this case.

I did turn off HUD quest markers right after this incident, but unfortunately it doesn't seem possible to turn them off in the compass. The attempt to do what you suggest, then, would literally be to constantly ignore a piece of visual information being given to me in a way that is meant to draw my attention, and in order to do what? I would basically have to pretend I didn't know where to go. There's the green marker, telling me exactly where I should be on my compass, and I say "No, instead I will climb a hill and look down into the valley and notice the river and act like I didn't see the compass was pointing me there the whole time". That's not exactly the same as refraining from using OP spells or hitting myself with a bat. Lol.

Also, it has a direct impact on the verisimilitude of the world. I am supposed to be investigating the location of a contraband book of philosophical thought that's location is a mystery, but as soon as I read a clue I can make a bee line direction for it. What reason is there for such a thing except to short circuit actually having to engage with both the world and the systems of the game?

Track a different quest. I think the baseball analogy is quite apt here, as I fail to believe you incapable of realizing that you can track the main quest rather than this side quest so that you do not have to “constantly ignore” the quest marker.

I don’t like quest markers, either. I’m just opposed to this ridiculous claim that the game killed your enjoyment by literally forcing you with no option to not have fun. If there was a similar main quest and you had no side quests to track instead... but yeah, take some responsibility for your own behavior rather than pushing it off on the game. You killed that quest for yourself as there was a very easy solution to your problem.

I'm not sure if he does. He considers her idea to be "brilliant" when you tell him.
Workers getting sick reduces productivity, not something he would actually want.

He's impressed by

the resourcefulness of the solution (he literally sees it as "repurposing" of "company property" - one thing I found funny is how he recoils in disgust at the thought of eating the local fruits, but not when you tell him what is being used to grow them). I couldn't tell if he was genuinely fanatical about the company or just acted like it because he's just as scared of them as everyone else, but either way the town was going down the toilet because of his stubbornness. As for productivity, he seems to be willing to take some losses to protect the company's reputation. It would be a tougher choice if Adelaide was throwing people (even marauders) into the grinder, but I think she just collected corpses.

Also while writing this I just realized I sold the gold teeth to Phyllis at the cannery and screwed Conrad out of his gravesite fees. Oops.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Rosarium Boss did cared about the consequences of his experiments to the point he shoot himself when you told him what his corporation planned to do

Do you mean Anton Crane? This dude sounded like a total bitch that only cared about his own motives to me.

When you meet him, Crane is very ambitious and monomaniacally focused on working his subordinates to the bone so he can get to Byzantium, but he’s much less heartless than he initially appears. While he seems like a two dimensional caricature, over the course of the quest you can learn that he has a lot more depth. He’s a pretty good character (thank you Megan Starks, I think). If you fail to rescue Crane’s assistant in time, he’s overcome by regret and kicks himself for being such a ruthless bastard.

And if you have the right stats—IIRC there’s a medical check, an intelligence check and a persuasion check—you can figure out what his appetite surpressant is really for and what the collateral damage will be beyond the side effects Crane already knows about:
Aunty Cleo’s wants to market the weight loss toothpaste as a mass market product for the proletariat rather than as a luxury product for the elite in Byzantium. Meaning it’s not for weight loss, it’s for placating workers who are already starving. If you give an appetite suppressant to the malnourished, quite a few of them will die.

Once you explain what’s going on, he shoots himself. You might also need to botch the quest to save his assistant (I think it’s on a timer).

Go back to Roseway and check, Crane’s corpse might be lying there. I thought I only convinced him to destroy his research, but when I went back for the second special gun from the weapons researcher, I popped in on Crane and his body was just lying there. Then I read the quest description to figure out what happened. I must’ve left too quickly after our last conversation and missed seeing him commit suicide.

I'm not sure if he does. He considers her idea to be "brilliant" when you tell him.
Workers getting sick reduces productivity, not something he would actually want.

Exactly, he isn't outright evil, he is just an idiot! Like the majority of important males or board people, while the anti-board people are more or less all strong females and much less idiotic...

It’s a little more complicated than that. The establishment leaders in TOW tend to be foolish for a variety of reasons, but they’re not necessarily idiots. While Reed’s not the brightest bulb, it’s more that he’s too hidebound to cope with reality. The OSI teaches that you can overcome disease through sheer will and he believes them, in part because Edgewater doesn’t have any doctors or scientists left to set him straight. However, that same hidebound streak is the reason you can convince Reed to do the right thing and commit suicide by marauder.

Sanjar on Monarch isn’t stupid, he’s a clever guy, but he’s so detail oriented that he can miss the forest for the trees (just like his employee evaluation says). Anton Crane has layers as mentioned above—definitely not an idiot. The chairman’s no dope, even if it turns out that his ruthless gameplan is not the best decision for Halcyon.

The leaders who’re fighting the establishment tend to be smart, yes, but also heartless with horrible motives. Adelaide is vengeful bitch who’s totally cool with letting most of Edgewater die. The woman who leads the raiders in Roseway explains that she’s fine with killing bootlickers because that’s also liberating them from the board’s oppression. Graham Bryant is a sociopath who wants to set the world on fire.

The only truly good leaders in the game—people who do the right thing for the right reason—are Zora and Junlei. I think this is one pure good guy too many.

The problem with this whole setup is that it’s so paint by numbers. The bad guys do the wrong thing for the right reason, the good guys do the right thing for the wrong reason or they do it in a bad way. I love stories with morally gray characters, but you need shades of gray. The Outer Worlds too ethically balanced.

Even worse, nearly all the characters could afford to be a lot darker. Like, is this a fucked up dystopia that’s running low on resources or what? Other than Slaughterhouse Clive, who’s a cartoon, you don’t see many characters actually doing shit that’s straight up evil. You can read about strangers doing terrible things on the terminals, but somehow you rarely seem to see any of that in person. IMO, Sublight’s particular brand of amorality really should’ve been closer to the baseline for every faction because necessity is a cruel bitch. And Sublight should’ve been much, much worse.

LudensCogitet

Learned
While I think your point about choosing to do something more interesting rather than following the path of least resistance is an interesting one, I don't think this your characterization is particularly fair in this case.

I did turn off HUD quest markers right after this incident, but unfortunately it doesn't seem possible to turn them off in the compass. The attempt to do what you suggest, then, would literally be to constantly ignore a piece of visual information being given to me in a way that is meant to draw my attention, and in order to do what? I would basically have to pretend I didn't know where to go. There's the green marker, telling me exactly where I should be on my compass, and I say "No, instead I will climb a hill and look down into the valley and notice the river and act like I didn't see the compass was pointing me there the whole time". That's not exactly the same as refraining from using OP spells or hitting myself with a bat. Lol.

Also, it has a direct impact on the verisimilitude of the world. I am supposed to be investigating the location of a contraband book of philosophical thought that's location is a mystery, but as soon as I read a clue I can make a bee line direction for it. What reason is there for such a thing except to short circuit actually having to engage with both the world and the systems of the game?

Track a different quest. I think the baseball analogy is quite apt here, as I fail to believe you incapable of realizing that you can track the main quest rather than this side quest so that you do not have to “constantly ignore” the quest marker.

I don’t like quest markers, either. I’m just opposed to this ridiculous claim that the game killed your enjoyment by literally forcing you with no option to not have fun. If there was a similar main quest and you had no side quests to track instead... but yeah, take some responsibility for your own behavior rather than pushing it off on the game. You killed that quest for yourself as there was a very easy solution to your problem.

I actually did take your advice by turning off the HUD altogether. Now I can't stand to have the HUD on because it feels too cluttered. Haha. (This has led to another issue, which is that the cross-hair is part of the HUD, thereby making scopes unusable, but that's a separate issue). As I said before, your point about taking responsibility for the fun of the game is an interesting one, but it is not a settled question.

A better baseball analogy would be if a batter had the option to either run all the bases or step off of home plate and then immediately back on to score a home run. Your argument would be that, since it is more fun, more exciting, more challenging to run the bases the batter should choose that option. But if a player is attempting to win the game, it is clearly the inferior choice.

I'd argue that this new version of baseball deserves critique as a game because it includes an option (and to make the analogy closer we have to say it is the default, expected option) that short circuits a major portion of the game itself. We might be able to pose the question like this: If a player can make a game fun, is the game immune to criticism of its design? Or maybe: Should a game teach the player how to play it, and is therefore responsible for what it teaches the player to do, or should the player make the game into what they want to get out of it?

Not sure there's one answer there. Very interesting though.

rezaf

Cipher
Is Zora the 2nd in command of the Iconoclasts? God, the characters are all so forgettable...

Anyway, If that's her she is a stupid bitch.
I hadn't talked to her when I got the mission to get the parts for the printing press, so I fulfilled the mission to order those as the original quest goal was. Down the line, she could have saved every one of her men by stepping up as a leader as I had bargained out with the indian guy (Sanjar?) , but she refused, claiming I hadn't earned her trust.
I was pissed off, did a quicksave and then gunned her and all of the Iconoclasts this turned hostile down.
Then I took a deep breath, quickloaded and Just gave the thingie to Sanjar. Who then announced the Iconoclasts had followed me, forcing me to gun them all down a second time. All because of that stubborn bitch...

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
TOW Q&A with Mikey Dowling! (Nov 5)

Q: I'm having a crash/save/load issue, are you looking into it?
A: If your issue has been reported to Private Division at support@privatedivision.com then we are looking into it. Issues like the elevator on Tartarus and the saves disappearing are issues we're absolutely looking into.

Q:: The font is super small, are you going to make it bigger.
A: We're looking into that as well and hope to have it in one of the next updates.

Q: When exactly is the next update?
A: Since it isn't as simple with consoles to push patches the way we could on PC for Pillars 1, Tyranny, or Deadfire, the submissions take some time and have to go through a process. As soon as we know we're good to get the patch out, we'll let you know and give patch notes.

Q: Are the devs gods or something?
A: If only! I'd be able to fix my foot. [Note: He broke his ankle last week.]

Q: Is there post-game content in TOW?
A: No there is not. There is a point of no return save, everything else after that you can't carry over.

Q: Are there fist weapons?
A: No there are not. Only one-handed and two-handed melee.

Q: Hey, devs: are the *.gamedatabundle, etc., files in the Exported folder human readable a la the similar files for Pillars 2? If so, it might be helpful in the UWP version to add <rescap:Capability Name="modifiableApp"/> to appxmanifest.xml, and then set up those folders for us modders/tools devs.
A: I'll pass that along to the team and see if there is anything they can do with it!

Q: Any chance of TOW getting ray-tracing support?
A: Highly unlikely but we won't say never. But most likely not.

Q: Can't see my character in the creation menu
A: Please report that issue to Private Division at support@privatedivision.com if you haven't already. Thank you!

Q: Why doesn't TOW have ultra wide support?
A: This is something we're looking into as well.

Q: Bug report, water gleam is too high!
A: Please report that issue to Private Division at support@privatedivision.com if you haven't already. Thank you!

Q: Can we get a personal waypoint for the map?
A: This is something we have seen asked for and are looking into seeing if it's something we can do.

Q: It is normal for corpses to occasionally not be lootable/openable at all?
A: There is an odd issue that comes up with their loot table (even if empty) not showing. We're looking into this.

Q: Can we get third-person in the next update please?
A: There will not be a third-person camera implemented for The Outer Worlds, apologies for any inconveniences this may cause.

Q: In the Spanish localization every NPC treats you like a she, even if you picked the male gender.
A: Please report this issue to Private Division at support@privatedivision.com if you haven't already. Thank you!

Q: Do we (Obsidian) ever think about making a launcher just for our games?
A: Nope. We hear very often that people hate having multiple launchers. Not gonna add one more when we'll have Xbox Game Pass PC going forward.
default_original.gif

Q: I'm reporting a bug [in Discord].
A: Awesome! Though the better place to report bugs is through Private Division at support@privatedivision.com. Thanks!

Q: Are there going to be expansions/DLC?
A: We're working on issues for the main game that y'all are running into now, if we're able to expand on the game, we'll let you know when we're ready to do so!

Q: Can you guys add some custom keybind options? This game is painful to play for left handed people and those with disabilities
A: This is something we're looking into.

Q: Could we get a new game plus?
A: It was discussed, but time and resources meant work on making the core experience as solid as possible won over.

Q: Is aim assist for controllers on PC gonna be a thing?
A: I'll have to test as I haven't personally played on controller on a PC in awhile.

Q: During conversations with NPCs the "Hold Y to toggle history" flashes every time in transitions.
A: Please submit this issue to Private Division at support@privatedivision.com if you haven't already. Thanks!

Q: I have issues with Nyoka's quest.
A: Please submit the issue to Private Division at support@privatedivision.com if you haven't already. Thanks!

Q: I'm unable to delete saves.
A: That's an odd one as I've not seen that issue. Please report it to Private Division at support@privatedivision.com if you haven't already. Thank you!

Q: Best thing about working with Bethesda on Fallout: New Vegas. And was it stressful or was it pretty chill throughout development of the game?
A: For me it was my second game and I was super pumped for it. I didn't grow up with a PC so I had missed Fallout 1 and 2, but was introduced to the series at 3 and really dug how open it felt and how the choices I made changed things. So when we got the deal to work on New Vegas, I was super happy. Then I dove in and had to organize all of the scripts in the game for various recordings and it was pretty non-stop from that point until launch. Still had a fun time with it, even if I did end up in the hospital for a little while.

Q: Is there any possibility of an FOV slider being added to the console versions of the game?
A: Let me send that to the team and see if there is anything we can do.

Q: Extended sliders for character creation?
A: At this point, that is unlikely.

Q: Is there a way to add a mode like Supernova, but also make it like Ranger difficulty in Metro?
A: Sorry to say that is unlikely.

Q: Any chance for a costume system for The Outer Worlds?
A: I believe I need more clarity on that.

Q: Is [X] a reference to New Vegas?
A: We did not purposefully make references to anything outside of team related things during development.

Q: Is the point of divergence for The Outer Worlds' alternate timeline really the thing about McKinnley not being assassinated? I don't see it in game.
A: Just because it's not in the game doesn't mean it's not true. Leonard has gone over this several times in recent interviews.

Q: Supernova should be adjusted save wise, are you considering it?
A: I haven't seen it (though that doesn't mean it hasn't been mentioned). For a suggestion like that, send it over to support@obsidian.net. Thanks!

Q: Why is this [Discord channel] called "ask the devs" I haven't seen any developers answering questions.
A: Most of our developers are working and not spending time on Discord during their work hours.
1f609.png
That said, myself or someone from the Comms team (mostly me) go through these regularly and try and do what I'm doing now. I would have been in here sooner, but broke my ankle. Real fun.

Q: Any shot we can get the bug where your flaws stick with you across saves fixed?
A: Did you have a save without a flaw, got a flaw, then returned to that save and the flaw was there? Once you take the flaw it's always with you. You can't respec them.

Q: I think i discovered a bug where if you get debufs on your stats when you overdose on chems you can save and load back the save and the debufs and gone.
A: That sounds like a support issue. Please send that over to Private Division at support@privatedivision.com if you haven't already. Thanks!

Q: Can you please comment on the head bobbing skybox issue causing thousands of people to experience motion sickness?
A: I haven't seen a thousand tickets for this, but please send this over to Private Division at support@privatedivision.com if you haven't already. Thanks!

Q: Can we get TOW emojis [in Discord]?
A: Good idea! Let me see what we can get.

Q: Do we have plans to continue to refine the game? For example reworking mechanics, making perks more interesting and meaningful, tweaking numbers and equipment, etc.?
A: I can check and see if there are plans, but it is unlikely as we're focused on getting to the issues that players are having now with the game (crashes, save issues, font issues, etc.)

Q: How long til official merch?
A: We may be working on some things and when we have something we'll be sure to share!

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Go back to Roseway and check, Crane’s corpse might be lying there. I thought I only convinced him to destroy his research, but when I went back for the second special gun from the weapons researcher, I popped in on Crane and his body was just lying there. Then I read the quest description to figure out what happened. I must’ve left too quickly after our last conversation and missed seeing him commit suicide.

Damn i didn't saw quite a lot then, i guess is worth a second playthough to see that.. The way that i completed this quests was like this:

Saved his assistant, killed the redhead girl because she was a cunt , helped the black guard, spared the queen and lied that to Anton that bandits took his research. I read a ton of how Anton was a total ass with everyone and always took the best quarters and shit for himself in terminals that's why i didn't saw anything of him beyond he being a self pity cunt and was quite fun to see him lost all hope. The VA really sold to me that Anton had no hopes left.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
So yea he wanted to move up but wasn't a TOTAL bitch... :hmmm:

Seriously tho, relegating character building to terminals and/or notes is such a goddamn lazy thing to do

Idk it gives purpose to exploration and to find all the terminals.. But yeah , if you don't explore much like me, tons of characterization are lost and you only see the character as one dimensionals bitchs.

biggestboss

Liturgist
If I were to start a new game from scratch, roughly how long would it take for me to meet

Parvati?

Also Mooji Baba is a scammer.

Ivan

Arcane

Damn i didn't saw quite a lot then, i guess is worth a second playthough to see that.. The way that i completed this quests was like this:

Saved his assistant, killed the redhead girl because she was a cunt , helped the black guard, spared the queen and lied that to Anton that bandits took his research. I read a ton of how Anton was a total ass with everyone and always took the best quarters and shit for himself in terminals that's why i didn't saw anything of him beyond he being a self pity cunt and was quite fun to see him lost all hope. The VA really sold to me that Anton had no hopes left.

I was wondering why he was dead....is there a video capturing this?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Or just mod out the compass in the .ini file, which is easily done.

Deleted Member 16721

I'm enjoying the Roseway Gardens map. I like the interactions and choices. Good stuff!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom