Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Prime Junta

You can't get to him in an hour if you explore. The first thing you go for is the cuno part.

Kim prompts you to do the initial interviews and it's one of the logical directions you could take. You could perfectly well go straight to him, trying to get to Evrart.

PrK

Savant
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I heard this game had a lot of French words in it. Do I need to have Google Translate on standby?

If you're serious, the game has a few phrases, even a whole paragraph once iirc in french, as well as a couple of Heracletus quotes (in a horrible greek font that looks like it was made up from math symbols from other fonts), but the game is otherwise all in english.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
You can't get to him in an hour if you explore. The first thing you go for is the cuno part.

Kim prompts you to do the initial interviews and it's one of the logical directions you could take. You could perfectly well go straight to him, trying to get to Evrart.
The first thing you do is to see corpse,it logical to have something to talk about during that initial interview.

Ensi

Educated
The game is pretty explicit with the "privilege of authority" angle - the loading screen tips downright tell you that its okay to say crazy things because you are a cop and people are more forgiving of people of authority. By extension, being a crazy motherfucker doing crazy things - like breaking into random people's apartments, digging through trash, and yelling at people on the street - is something you can get away with even outside of your own jurisdiction because people are afraid of the authority you evoke.

In terms of race dynamics, Harry can expect multiple minority NPCs to pretty much be the representatives of their race - Elizabeth and Kim come to mind, the latter can be asked to tell you all about Seol even though he explicitly tells you that he has never been there. That and all the people referring to the Semenese as "thieving kipts."

I think the author of the review is off the mark about the male privilege angle. Male privilege only hurts the PC, who failed and continues to fail to reach the higher sexual standard placed on him by chauvinist society.

Seeing Harry's personal journey through the lens of privilege is as valid of a perspective as any other one, but I prefer to see it as more of an existentialist statement - Harry can only reinvent himself because he has, through repeatedly hitting rock bottom, degenerated into something very closely resembling nothing. Through supernatural phenomenon or regret and wishful thinking, he has either denied or lost his memories, thereby losing his essence - losing his old self, his old life. The Harry as we know him wasn't born in the Old Military Hospital 44 years prior to the start of the game but rather entered existence on the dirty floor of a trashed hostel room.

Seems like the game is poking fun of these people being representatives of their race (and your/Harry's obliviousness), it seems self-conscious. Probably is a left-wing aspect to it there, presenting people like Kim in a good and humanizing light. I agree that the authority privilege angle also makes sense.

What's the proper term for the non-SJW-identity-politics left these days?

I just say leftist or maybe anticapitalist, not a big enough Chapo fan to say "dirtbag left," and anyway I'm not opposed to some kinds of idpol (legit anti-racist/anti-sexist etc efforts which are also tied to class, i.e. some of Keeanga Yamahtta-Taylor's work), just its dumb ultraliberal twitter excesses

on another note finishing Disco made me want to go back and play PS:T, which I never actually finished. GOOD WRITING IN ISOMETRIC RPGS, WE NEED MORE OF YOU

MasPingon

Arcane
What's the proper term for the non-SJW-identity-politics left these days?

I just say leftist or maybe anticapitalist, not a big enough Chapo fan to say "dirtbag left," and anyway I'm not opposed to some kinds of idpol (legit anti-racist/anti-sexist etc efforts which are also tied to class, i.e. some of Keeanga Yamahtta-Taylor's work), just its dumb ultraliberal twitter excesses

on another note finishing Disco made me want to go back and play PS:T, which I never actually finished. GOOD WRITING IN ISOMETRIC RPGS, WE NEED MORE OF YOU

There is no such thing as non-sjw identity politics, it's tribalism at it's core.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Kasparov I really want to make that Dolores Dei tattoo

:negative:

FUCK DOES KASPAROV CARE?

disco-elysium-cuno-9.jpg

Puteo

Learned
It's related to a much earlier comment about esprit de corps.

Yeah that one might take a bit to figure out. Now that I have completed the game I can confidently state that it means there is a corpse in a tree and if you have high enough empathy you can speak to his spirit.

Tigranes

Arcane
Codexielles I need help Prime Junta Kyl Von Kull

My full run was a mildly capitalist sophist, high INT but not very high logic, focused on conceptualisation and rhetoric and drama

Also some partial runs with various PHYS oriented dudes

What would be an appropriate authoritarian build, one which believes people are divisible into people and scum, criminal rats and citizens, and in harsh times like these you have to pick who to save (i.e. real Revacholians), and thus constantly fights to deny his own fucked up aspects lest he be forced to confront his own degeneracy?

The thing that I'm not a huge fan of is how stats/skills are tied, so it's relatively difficult to go, say, high Suggestion and low Empathy or whatever, not without metagaming the thought cabinet which I don't want to do.

Prime Junta

I'd go with mostly FYS/MOT, tagging Authority and pumping it with items (and Thoughts if you can manage it without metagaming). 1-2-5-4? You'd start with Authority 3 and be able to pump it to 6 even without any Thoughts or items. Drop a bit of psychedelics and put an extra pip into it for 7. With items you'll be able to get that to 9 which is plenty.

Will Zurmacht

Educated
Conceptualization is the GOAT along with Encyclopedia for character development without swinging too hard in an ideological direction. There are tons of passives for the associated XP Thoughts to proc on and Humpty-Dumpty Dom fixes midgame economic woes.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Codexielles I need help Prime Junta Kyl Von Kull

My full run was a mildly capitalist sophist, high INT but not very high logic, focused on conceptualisation and rhetoric and drama

Also some partial runs with various PHYS oriented dudes

What would be an appropriate authoritarian build, one which believes people are divisible into people and scum, criminal rats and citizens, and in harsh times like these you have to pick who to save (i.e. real Revacholians), and thus constantly fights to deny his own fucked up aspects lest he be forced to confront his own degeneracy?

The thing that I'm not a huge fan of is how stats/skills are tied, so it's relatively difficult to go, say, high Suggestion and low Empathy or whatever, not without metagaming the thought cabinet which I don't want to do.

What skills do you NOT want? Without factoring in the thought cabinet stuff or clothing in advance, I’d go 1-3-5-3 or 2-3-5-2, with signature skill in authority or volition to raise the psyche cap without raising psyche (or even 1-4-5-2 if your budding fascist doesn’t mind hearing from all the bitch ass psyche skills). Go with Junta’s suggestion if you really don’t want to listen to that pussy Empathy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom