Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Terraria

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Well it looks like it is indeed planned as the last real update.
https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/re-logic-announces-terraria-journeys-end-at-e3.80018/

Q: Why call it Journey's End instead of 1.4?
A: Our current plan is for this to be the crowning update to Terraria. We do not currently have any plans to tackle additional updates, outside of fixes and maybe a few tidbits here and there to shore things up.

Q: So, what does that mean for Terraria? Re-Logic?
A: Terraria will remain the vibrant and amazing game that it always has been! There is plenty more coming down the road for Console/Switch/Mobile (including some things we have not revealed just yet), and with the available mods - plus any future mods - on top of what is a VERY robust core game, we are confident Terraria will be trucking along for many, many years to come. Of course, we will stay involved with all of you - you make this possible, and we always enjoy hanging out.

For Re-Logic, this means that we will finally be tackling our second title. We do not yet know what this will be - and it may not even be a Terraria title - so expect a time of silence from us on that front until we are ready to share more what we decide to pursue.

All good things must end, lest they cease to continue being good. Re-Logic delivered with Terraria above and beyond, they set the game up to stand the test of time and be playable endlessly. They didn't just make a game. A game is something to amuse yourself with temporarily, a product to consume and then throw away. They made a classic. :hero:

Machocruz

Arcane
Terraria is one of the greatest independent games ever made, and one of my favorite games of the last two "generations". Just genius.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's the gold standard for indie games, or any game, really. $10 retail and massive amounts of free updates and support over the years that quadrupled (or more) the content in the game at release.

Turjan

Arcane
Well, we will see whether, this time, they actually mean it. Major support for the game will now officially end a third time, if I counted that correctly.

For people who already know the game inside out, here's a trailer breakdown:

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm playing this again, and this time I'm not fiddling with any content mods, but I am using TerraCustom, which gives you more control over what kind of world you create.

For my first (and now aborted) attempt I decided to see how big a world the LargeWorldEnabler mod would allow me to create... and I got a world twice the length of a Large World.

I figured that the game wouldn't scale its objects to accomodate this new size, so I told TerraCustom to raise all the stuff in the game to 105% of normal.

BIG MISTAKE.

I started playing and didn't notice anything strange to begin with, but then I started exploring underground. I hadn't even gotten very far when I'm rudely interrupted by a BOOM! as I step on a landmine.

"Oh yeah, those are a thing" I say to myself, then go back to recover my stuff after respawning. Except among the stuff blown up by the landmine is a packet of explosives. "Strange, aren't these supposed to be destroyed by the blast?" I think to myself, then continue exploring to the right of the explo-

BOOM!

I'm killed by another landmine, just a few steps from the first one. "Probably just a fluke" I think to myself, then go back to recover my stuff. Except this time after retracing my steps I had the sense to pull out a pressure plate so that I could see the wires for the traps.

I counted seven different wirings running into all directions, just from where I was standing. Two of them I had set off, but the other five were still armed.

I didn't play that world for much further (didn't even fight the Eye of Cthulhu) but in that time I got blown up about twenty times and managed to defuse 34 landmine traps. Turns out the game does scale object numbers based on the size of the game world, and I had just told the game to add even more traps, so it put in ALL THE TRAPS. So yeah... that's an interesting twist on the game for masochists.

Also, anyone think they're actually gonna release Journey's End this year?

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Probably another 2 years until Journeys end because every fucking update on the game from their community manager has been "hey guys we just ported this 5 year old update to consoles and mobile because fuck PC!"

Gerrard

Arcane
It seems like they are adding a ton more pointless shit to 1.4 instead of focusing on doing something with all the shit that was already made irrelevant by things they added in 1.3.

Beastro

Arcane
It seems like they are adding a ton more pointless shit to 1.4 instead of focusing on doing something with all the shit that was already made irrelevant by things they added in 1.3.

That's Terraria in a nutshell and why I was done after doing the bosses and digging the ocean down to flood hell.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
That's Terraria in a nutshell and why I was done after doing the bosses and digging the ocean down to flood hell.

I can see why you quit in disgust after that botched attempt.

One of the things they are (claiming to be) doing is overhauling every facet of the game to bring it all up to the same speed. For example the Desert biome is getting lots of attention because it's easily the most boring biome of them all. It also lacks focus because I can't tell whether it's the biggest mini-biome, or the smallest major biome. Pyramids could also use some attention because they're quite large and yet only contain a single snaking passage and one room.

Probably another 2 years until Journeys end because every fucking update on the game from their community manager has been "hey guys we just ported this 5 year old update to consoles and mobile because fuck PC!"

What I'm curious to know is whether all that console development is actually worth it. The game has consistently close to 20000 players on Steam every day, but how many are playing it on the XBox or Switch, for example? A cursory online search reveals too many people looking for others to play Terraria with on the PS4, which isn't a good sign.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet

One of the things they are (claiming to be) doing is overhauling every facet of the game to bring it all up to the same speed. For example the Desert biome is getting lots of attention because it's easily the most boring biome of them all. It also lacks focus because I can't tell whether it's the biggest mini-biome, or the smallest major biome. Pyramids could also use some attention because they're quite large and yet only contain a single snaking passage and one room.

What I'm curious to know is whether all that console development is actually worth it. The game has consistently close to 20000 players on Steam every day, but how many are playing it on the XBox or Switch, for example? A cursory online search reveals too many people looking for others to play Terraria with on the PS4, which isn't a good sign.

I doubt it is worth it. The gameplay mechanisms practically beg for a mouse to accurately target block positions at will, it's a PC game through and through. Consoles do nothing but hold back progress. We would be colonizing space right now if consoles didn't exist.

Gerrard

Arcane

I read that, but I also read that they are adding "over 800 new items".
Adding new biomes, I think the world was already cramped as it was, they should've went with changing the world proportions to be wider, or split it into 2 parts separated by the oceans (make it loop around).

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
If anything I think the deserts are very well developed in comparison to oceans. The oceans really could use an overhaul, they are just big pools of water with a different set of fishing items right now.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The console ports probably made them plenty of money for their effort. As far as a new update, I'd honestly prefer if they just didn't if it's gonna break the content mods yet again. I've got zero faith the update will actually fix all the useless crap that has been rendered totally obsolete by new content.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Now I'm curious to know: What is "all the useless crap that has been rendered totally obsolete"? Can you name me any examples?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
All wooden and copper (and arguably iron) equipment being on par with catuc equipment that is much much easier to make early on. Fishing giving you retardedly good rewards at all points in the game. The ice/desert versions of ballons being strictly better versions of the regular one. Ice boomerang vs enchanted boomerang. The bee weapons being better than any of the nightmare or hell shit you can craft or even find in the shadow and dungeon chests, which makes skeletron a pretty pointless boss aside from getting the cobalt shield and everything you can find in shadow orbs pointless aside from a chance to unlock the gun dealer. Once you get to hard mode basically all the craftable ore weapons and honestly even the weapons you need to kill bosses for are complete garbage compared to the drops from the hallow/corrupted mimics, which you can spawn with just 15 normal enemy souls.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
All wooden and copper (and arguably iron) equipment being on par with catuc equipment that is much much easier to make early on. Fishing giving you retardedly good rewards at all points in the game. The ice/desert versions of ballons being strictly better versions of the regular one. Ice boomerang vs enchanted boomerang. The bee weapons being better than any of the nightmare or hell shit you can craft or even find in the shadow and dungeon chests, which makes skeletron a pretty pointless boss aside from getting the cobalt shield and everything you can find in shadow orbs pointless aside from a chance to unlock the gun dealer. Once you get to hard mode basically all the craftable ore weapons and honestly even the weapons you need to kill bosses for are complete garbage compared to the drops from the hallow/corrupted mimics, which you can spawn with just 15 normal enemy souls.

The game's so aged and has seen so many updates that there's no hope of balancing all of the weapons. Most of them exist almost solely to be collected and mounted on plaques by autistic teenagers.

Keep in mind, however, that newer players won't instantly know how to arrow directly to the best shit available. In addition to new players not realizing that something better is readily available, subpar equipment may be used because it's what the player has at the moment, and they can't be bothered to go out of their way even a little bit for a slight boost prior to the next tier (that described me very often during my most recent playthrough, with thousands of prior hours of playtime).

Some of the elaborate content mods, like the one that adds a leviathan and mermaid battle to the ocean biome (forget what it was called), kinda "solve" the useless gear problem by making nearly every single piece of gear into a material that must be collected in order to craft a piece of gear introduced by the mod. Aside from the obvious issue that autism is therefore mandatory in order to finish the mod's content, I actually really liked the mega-combo gear in that one mod. It was all OP, but in fairness, so were the new biomes, enemies, and bosses.

Beastro

Arcane

It was all the game had to offer besides going wild with house building, and even that couldn't really be done because of that lack of variety of stuff outside of mass DLing of mods.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Thought this already launched. Fuck they should have made Terraria 2 by now.

Turjan

Arcane
While I assumed my prediction that this would be delayed was a sure bet, I didn't imagine this would take years - and still come out. Well, let's hope it will be at least something mildly entertaining.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
While I assumed my prediction that this would be delayed was a sure bet, I didn't imagine this would take years - and still come out. Well, let's hope it will be at least something mildly entertaining.

Judging by the world creation options alone I foresee much butthurt ahead...

Black Angel

Arcane
Is there any mods that allow valid housing underground? Or at least lets us build walls upon the background there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom