Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

It's official now...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Don't worry, Bröther. There's still hope yet.

Colony Ship, CP2077, Wasteland 3, Bloodlines 2, Encased, Beautiful Desolation

maybe, shit, shit, shit, ultra shit, non-RPG/vaporware

And you forgot the most important candidate, Realms Beyond.

You're both wrong.
This is the most important RPG project of the moment:

header.jpg
That is the wrong way to spell Black Geyser

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Don't worry, Bröther. There's still hope yet.

Colony Ship, CP2077, Wasteland 3, Bloodlines 2, Encased, Beautiful Desolation

maybe, shit, shit, shit, ultra shit, non-RPG/vaporware

And you forgot the most important candidate, Realms Beyond.

You're both wrong.
This is the most important RPG project of the moment:

header.jpg
That is the wrong way to spell Black Geyser

Doubt it will be better than SUBVERSE :smug:

KragJorgensen

Novice
I think a lot of the codex reaction to Outer Worlds was based on a misreading of Cain and Boyarsky's goal with Fallout. Fallout basically inspired this whole generation of fans who became hardcore grogs seeking to play new versions of it, or designers who sought to make those versions. But, what they read Fallout as, a super involved hardcore rpg, wasn't really what Tim Cain and Boyarsky really intended for it to be. For one, the super intricate character building system was mostly a byproduct of that just being how RPGs were made at the time, not a mechanism to create spreadsheet warriors who could "solve" the game (looking at fucking you Underrail, you piece of shit). Hell, Tim Cain's character when running through the game was Potato, a colossal dumbfuck who hit everything. While not as explicitly goofy as Fallout 2, Fallout was still created from both a writing and game design perspective to be a deeply goofy game, from the animations forward. By contrast, just about every Fallout successor/clone has trended heavily towards playing things straight, with the optimal intended build normally being the super scientific diplomat hacker.

Basically, Codex seems to define incline by Fallout and judges everything based on that, but the image it has of Fallout isn't really what the designers themselves were primarily focusing on. That and I heavily suggest watching the livestream of Cain and Boyarsky playing the game, done as part of an Obsidian kickstarter (iirc) everytime someone says the UI, or the UI of a Fallout clone, is easy to work with. 75% of the stream is mostly the people who actually designed the game bitching about how garbage and unintuitive the UI is and how it makes playing the game a confusing chore.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Want the really depressing part? Do you know what's the best-selling RPG of 2019? World of WarCraft: Classic. According to rumours, it has three times as many active players as Retail (so around 3 million).
Which is a flop for wow game.

Trashos

Arcane
KragJorgensen , I am not convinced, have you played Arcanum? They took what we assumed they were trying to do with Fallout, and doubled down on everything. I am oversimplifying, but the point stands.

Maybe people just change. Circumstances do change, we agree on that.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Want the really depressing part? Do you know what's the best-selling RPG of 2019? World of WarCraft: Classic. According to rumours, it has three times as many active players as Retail (so around 3 million).
Wow are always retarded drone game and there are bo shortage of retarded drones in the world.

Plus wow is that one game that invented or popularized alot of decline features anyway (quest marker, etc)

Tigranes

Arcane
You fools, it was all over quite a while ago, when we were denied the great sustenance of Waiting for Grimoire

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I think a lot of the codex reaction to Outer Worlds was based on a misreading of Cain and Boyarsky's goal with Fallout. Fallout basically inspired this whole generation of fans who became hardcore grogs seeking to play new versions of it, or designers who sought to make those versions. But, what they read Fallout as, a super involved hardcore rpg, wasn't really what Tim Cain and Boyarsky really intended for it to be. For one, the super intricate character building system was mostly a byproduct of that just being how RPGs were made at the time, not a mechanism to create spreadsheet warriors who could "solve" the game (looking at fucking you Underrail, you piece of shit). Hell, Tim Cain's character when running through the game was Potato, a colossal dumbfuck who hit everything. While not as explicitly goofy as Fallout 2, Fallout was still created from both a writing and game design perspective to be a deeply goofy game, from the animations forward. By contrast, just about every Fallout successor/clone has trended heavily towards playing things straight, with the optimal intended build normally being the super scientific diplomat hacker.

Basically, Codex seems to define incline by Fallout and judges everything based on that, but the image it has of Fallout isn't really what the designers themselves were primarily focusing on. That and I heavily suggest watching the livestream of Cain and Boyarsky playing the game, done as part of an Obsidian kickstarter (iirc) everytime someone says the UI, or the UI of a Fallout clone, is easy to work with. 75% of the stream is mostly the people who actually designed the game bitching about how garbage and unintuitive the UI is and how it makes playing the game a confusing chore.

I live by Death of the Author, I don't give a fuck about authorial intentions

hexer

Yes Cain bitched about the UI, I've seen him at a conference bringing up the Fallout 1/2 character sheet and lamenting how "everything looks like a button".
Now the audience reaction wasn't agreement or understanding, it was utter silence and bewildered looks.
We were all like "what the hell is he talking about, the screen looks cool as fuck, fits the genre as a glove and no one cares if some panels look like a button".
Up until that point I've never heard anyone in my life complain about the Fallout 1/2 UI.
Think about it better, so what if a panel and a button look similar, is that really the thing that will make or break your game?

I've said it before and I'll repeat it now.. other great developers worked on Fallout 1/2 as well, it wasn't all just Cain and Boyarsky.
Those devs are gone now, scattered by the winds of time.
And it's more obvious when all the new developers are coming from a derp generation

apostrophe

Novice
...But, what they read Fallout as, a super involved hardcore rpg, wasn't really what Tim Cain and Boyarsky really intended for it to be. For one, the super intricate character building system was mostly a byproduct of that just being how RPGs were made at the time, not a mechanism to create spreadsheet warriors who could "solve" the game (looking at fucking you Underrail, you piece of shit). Hell, Tim Cain's character when running through the game was Potato, a colossal dumbfuck who hit everything. While not as explicitly goofy as Fallout 2, Fallout was still created from both a writing and game design perspective to be a deeply goofy game...

I really don't think anyone considers Fallout involved hardcore game (except maybe game journalists), its really easy and combat is simplistic and its greatest strength is awesome death animations, nothing there to spreadsheet. And it is not developers fault that every game journalist and hordes of Fallout fans dub every turn-based isometric RPG without swords and dragons "an attempt at real Fallout 3"

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
This I can't agree with. The popularity of Classic is, to a large extent, because it lacks the many, many retarded features which were added later.

It still felt like pop-music of MMORPGs after Everquest 1&2 for me. Never got all this WoW Classic hype.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom