Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Take a trip to the Outer Worlds

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
This board lady should have empathized different points in order to convince you.
Like, elaborate on how recovering a huge amounts of people from cryo in the belief that some of them are smart enough to solve all of our problems is not the brightest of ideas or something.

They clearly tried to portray this lady as smart, but she also comes off as incompetent.

RK47

Patron
I just finished the game, and actually liked it. :smug: Yes. I was entertained.
I liked the journals you find on Hope.

Share what you liked?
I found the skill checks are okay and the multi-solution are decent but the problem lies with how the companions just bypass a lot of that so you tend not needing to plan ahead and just pick whatever option is available.
There's one quest telling me to steal something in Groundsbreaker - I had Felix and Parvati (Lockpick & Persuade bonus) I picked the lock, grab the item - got caught and passed the Persuade check and still kept the item.

At the very least - give the players some kind of 'tangible barrier'.
It took way too long for the checks to become noticeable to worry about. By then you probably figured out the metagame and just pick your companions to cover your skill gap.

As for the world writing - it's just too weak IMO and kept undermining itself with unnecessary jokes. We had New Vegas making fun of Super Mutants and Rocket ghoul cultists but I don't see Mr. House, Caesar Legion being a total joke.

Companion orders are way too simplified for a chaotic battle system.
I have 2 companions but can only issue an order to both at once therefore if I have a situation where Felix is low hitpoints while Sam is at full hitpoints I cannot tell Felix to back off while Sam continues to attack. This makes recovering from a bad opening situation very frustrating at higher difficulties. Might as well just keep them full ranged and tell them to hold their position from a distance.

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Those are all valid points. I very early decided not to put ANY points into combat skills, and I did not regret that.
And the companions are mostly useful for their skill bonus (which can be doubled if you put your own skill points into the Inspiration skill), and extra carry weight yes.

I never used the companion combat skills, as combat was frenetic enough without them, and usually over very quickly.

I may be a sucker, but I enjoyed running around in the wilderness, killing weird animals and deranged humans, while finding hidden things.
I also enjoyed the story, as silly as it was.

The mind-control gun really broke the game balance, if there ever was one. Target the biggest threat, hold down the trigger, and that threat is now on your side, taking damage from the MC gun while attacking its former allies.
Remember that Science weapons can become ridiculously cheap to tinker, increasing the damage. So once I had first the gloop gun and the mandibular rearranger, then the MC ray, I didn't use conventional weapons anymore.

So what did I enjoy? The atmosphere perhaps? That the game didn't become to repetetive?
I never managed to finish Fallout 4. I found that game too boring in the long run.
I don't know if I'll bother with any DLC to Outer Worlds or a replay though. I think I'm done with it now.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I've given it some more thought, and I think the reason I enjoyed the game was probably low expectations.

I compare it with Mass Effect due to its setting, and I didn't enjoy those games. Those that I completed, I did so more out of a sense of duty (finish what you start) than actually wanting to.
With Outer Worlds, I wanted to finish the game, see where it went. And I'm OK with the ending. Really.

RK47

Patron

:lol: 'C'mon listen to my offer among the corpses that litter my office. I'm sure nothing would go wrong.' :lol:

RK47

Patron
I've given it some more thought, and I think the reason I enjoyed the game was probably low expectations.

I compare it with Mass Effect due to its setting, and I didn't enjoy those games. Those that I completed, I did so more out of a sense of duty (finish what you start) than actually wanting to.
With Outer Worlds, I wanted to finish the game, see where it went. And I'm OK with the ending. Really.

I found both are not really comparable.
One is a take on inter-galactic politics, facing an alien threat. They even had real aliens that are motivated by where and how they live. Salarians, a quick-thinking but short-sighted scientific race created a fast solution with long-lasting problems. Krogans dealing with their sudden rise into power, being put down and slowly genocided with a virus, we have Quarians who lost their planet to AI uprising and now forced to live on migrant fleets. How Shepard (you) dealt with those felt damn good in ME3 despite its shortcomings. A lot of people shit on the companion and I agree - they're badly written, but the setting isn't completely shit.

What we have here in Obsidian's TOW is mostly a localized issue: Inter-human relations peppered with some kind of statement of 'corporate incompetence' vs 'personal rights'. In fact, if we take away the 'space' aspect of it and limit it to a single planet we can just rewrite the story into multiple townships staking claims on how things should be done. I just felt the whole 'space tech' thing is at odds with the 'life or death struggle against famine.'

Yes Azira, we can compare TOW with Mass Effect. But I have to add the word Andromeda after those two words. Remove aliens from Andromeda and that's what we got. A bunch of humans squabbling over hierarchy while a real issue is plaguing their survival.

Fuck me, I defended Mass Effect from an attack of this.... thing Obsidian created.

:despair:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I think they can work with the setting in possible add-ons/DLC and/or sequels. Seems TOW is a commercial succes, at least so far.
But yeah, the corporations and the board are simply put idiotic in this game. The whole atmosphere is one of stupid people doing stupid things and not seeing the bigger picture. Perhaps except for Phineas and the player.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I haven't watched much of this LP past the first couple episodes, but, man, that ship AI couldn't be more boring, could it?

RK47

Patron
They couldn't even make the main villain interesting enough, what makes you think they can write a talking computer well?

RK47

Patron
Tried to give Supernova a bit more serious look and I found it's p. easy to just home in on the big reward main quests (Tell Board about Phineas) right after Edgwater and then rush in to the high level hand-placed items in Byzantium. I can lay my hand on a level 21 Plasma Rifle at level 12 and that was basically 'set for the end game' weapon. Buy a Corrosive mod with Hacking 40 (Bypass Rep restriction) off vending machines and you can melt almost anything in the game with a good initial strike.

The only slow part is probably running around in Monarch fighting off those giant lizards and trying to keep your AI teammates alive. But the good news is I can easily outrun the lizards by unlocking +25% Movement speed during time dilation perk. So outrunning them is no longer an issue. I got bored after I reached the Monarch tower. Time taken to hit level 15 and reached Monarch - 1 hour or so. Level cap is 30.

RK47

Patron
As mentioned before here is the Supernova run.

Not much to say on the first segment of the Supernova Run.
Skill Target: Lockpicking 80 then go Persuade 50

Edgewater

Parvati is good for faster lockpick checks and persuasion. But she's very fragile in combat. I had to tell her to hold ground and just solo the Geothermal Plant.
I'm doing a Pro-Board run now so helping Reed is a must, but for Anti-Board run you can just snipe Reed from the elevator after finishing the conversation and convince Parvati to stay with 10 points in Determination.
Now run to the Geothermal Plant - taking the time to grab Max's book from the cave nearby and settle it. I lost some time getting the passcode from the Engineer but it's to keep the run safe. Four bots at once are a lot of incoming damage and I don't have a good weapon. If I had Plasma Rifle things would've been safer. Divert to Edgewater, tell Adelaide it's nothing personal then convince them to return to gain bonus reward. Fast travel to Unreliable, take off, grab the holo-disguise then land again to recruit Max and claim the reward from Reed.

And that's it for Edgewater, off to Goodsprings - uh I mean Groundbreaker.

Groundbreaker
Easy rewards abound here with non-combat quests aplenty.
Max's quest is a tutorial to disguise.
Grab that Mardet ID past the checkpoint and break into their HQ for Max's quest.
Now head to Glady's and pick her locker for Udom's Seal of Office.
Successful Persuasion doesn't return the stolen items to the owner.
Head to the Medical hall and help Ellie find her friend.
Now head to Udom's Office and give info on Phineas for massive EXP boost and a navkey to Byzantium.
Talk to him about Ellie's friend and get Ellie to join.
Finish this segment by bringing Parvati to Junlei for easy EXP then jog back to Unreliable to recruit Felix.
Easy peasy. We're off to Byzantium in less than 30 minutes.

You may notice I was checking every vending machine I see - I am looking for Corrosive Mod for Ranged weapons.

RK47

Patron

Skill target: once Persuasion is 50 - pump Science to 60

Bring Ellie along for the easy personal quest and Vicar for his opinions. Felix will whine a lot.
Land at Akande's Landing pad, accept her hit mission.
Now head to Ellie's do the family drama and head to the insurance office.
Along the way, get the quest 'On Central' from the movie agent.
The Expeditions office is straightforward - lockpick the office, grab papers, check the terminal for whereabouts. Easy peasy.
Head down to Odeon Studios and grab the most powerful gun you can get at low level - The Level 21 Plasma Rifle.
Now most enemies will melt with well charged shot.
Choose whether to kill or just end the audition peacefully. If you kill, you get more reward but they hit pretty hard. Try to stay in cover and pop quickly to shoot - high persuasion can cause humans to Cower upon hit, so the plasma splash is great for this.
Now head to the Sewers to find the Demolished Woman - another hitman will tail you.
Tell him you want to listen to her first - she will offer a bribe. Don't convince him to take it and tell him you want to let her live.
Now he will turn violent - kill him.
Intimidate the poor lady for 2000 bits.
Then pickpocket her for another 2000 bits.
There's reactivity to this:
If you do not let her talk, you cannot intimidate her to be paid off, and she only carries 2000 bits in her pocket.
But if you let her make that offer, the intimidate option will appear, netting you an easy 2000 bits.
Then you can pickpocket her for another 2000 bits.
Then kill her so Akande pays you well. :lol:
Once we stop laughing at the monitor, you fast travel back to the Unreliable, switch to Parvati and Felix to listen to Felix's butthurt.
Akande is pleased and rewards you handsomely. Now she wants us to plant a tracking signal on Phineas' terminal - so it's off to his secret lab.

RK47

Patron
The music of this game is awful.
The opening part when ADA told the player that they need a power regulator - suddenly this REALLY REALLY SAD tune plays right after the game tried to make the player laugh by having ADA fail to bluff the player with a self destruct sequence. If you want a much better experience, just shut off the music and play FNV Radio tunes.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I did like the four songs on NV radio.

Fanboi Pete blew all shekels on Wayne Newton.

Should've gotten Paul Anka instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom