Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Josh Sawyer reflects on his failures with Pillars of Eternity

Codex Year of the Donut
Sawyer looked at KotC, and decided that would be too punishing
And he's right.
There's a fine line companies like Obsidian need to walk to please both grognards and normies.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Sawyer looked at KotC, and decided that would be too punishing
And he's right.
There's a fine line companies like Obsidian need to walk to please both grognards and normies.

He says in the “Sawyer recognizes he was wrong” thread.

You know who appealed to both Grognards and normies? Shakespeare. He didn’t dumb shit down and go all austere and minimalist. Quite the opposite.

Sawyer doesn't think this kind of gameplay experience is worth preserving though for reasons already gone over. :M

And Sawyer’s wrong.

It’s the whole point of the thread.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Shadenuat

Arcane
i watched a player repeatedly die in the same spot performing the same series of actions over and over again
Players have been conditioned that if they retry they will win, regardless of their actions.

And if you can re-load 15 times and win that would just reinforce their belief that it is all RNG.
Which is why if player uses wrong tactic, they shouldn't be able to win even after 99 tries.
Preferably their deaths should also be as swift, cruel and horrible as possible.

Dark Souls was very good at this.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Players have been conditioned that if they retry they will win, regardless of their actions.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results (Albert Einstein).

But I'd also attributed it to stupidity.

Desiderius

Patron

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results (Albert Einstein).

But I'd also attributed it to stupidity.

People learn what they want to learn. Even the stupid ones, they're just slower to get there. If the payoff is right they'll get there, some faster than others.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's one of two or three pointlessly annoying things in what is otherwise a great game, D:OS. Main reason I made it halfway through instead of all the way on both I and II. That and the other obvious kludge: taking turns regardless of initiative.

If you don't like a mechanic, fix it or leave it out, don't gimp it to oblivion because you're too much of a Helicopter Dev to let a player fail. If it's a great game players will take the time and effort to figure shit out. If they're not, it's because your game sucks, not the players.

My experience with D:OS is that buffs were really good to use, as long as they were cast during combat.

Desiderius

Patron
You're reading a teacher who's heard a lifetime of excuses from bad teachers. They sound just like Sawyer via Roguey.

It’s the TfA disease.

Last edited:

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
After thinking about this very important shit really hard I've come to the conclusion that the only way to go is to ignore the problem. Have unrestricted resting. If players want to rest-spam, let them rest-spam. If players don't want to rest-spam, more power to them. Any attempt to solve it will do nothing at best, or make the game actively worse at worst.
IF punishing rest spam is too harsh, you could still reward players who don't rest spam.
For example give more XP the quicker you finish a dungeon or more treasure.

Knights of the Chalice let you only rest in specific spots, and it worked fine.
But with one exception you could rest as often as you wanted at those campfires, defeating the purpose of limiting resting in the first place.

biggestboss

Liturgist
https://rampantgames.com/blog/?p=9602

Implementation in Frayed Knights 1:
nZpzbv9.png

TLDR: A system like Fate Points from Arcanum, except you lose them all if you ever manually reload a save. This both accommodates save scummers and rewards those that don't do it.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
IF punishing rest spam is too harsh, you could still reward players who don't rest spam.
For example give more XP the quicker you finish a dungeon or more treasure.

I like this idea.
It sounds game-y, though, especially if there's a timer running somewhere. It depends on how they go about doing it, the first thing that comes to my mind is someone could start a fire and parts of the dungeon are progressively engulfed in flames, i.e. you can't loot the things in there.

How difficult would it be to make such campsites only usable once per game, or the very least, only usable once-per-entry to the area? Same goes for reinforced rooms in dungeons.
Swordflight had a very tense moment in a dungeon where you were only allowed to rest once, a ghost protected you from the other wandering undead in the area while you sleep.

Codex Year of the Donut
PoE2 actually discourages resting at all because you lose your per-rest buffs which you can stack a stupid amount of

Atchodas

Augur
For example give more XP the quicker you finish a dungeon or more treasure

They should just limit resting on higher difficulties and let it be spammed infinitely on easy, simple solution that pleases everyone.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Fallout 4 Survival did it best. You get stronger the longer you go without resting.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
But with one exception you could rest as often as you wanted at those campfires, defeating the purpose of limiting resting in the first place.
How difficult would it be to make such campsites only usable once per game, or the very least, only usable once-per-entry to the area? Same goes for reinforced rooms in dungeons.
Wouldn't be difficult, as I said, one campfire (in the Undead tower) in KotC was like that.

The NWN2 mod Subtlety of Thay had a rest system similar to what others itt suggested, every once in a while inside a dungeon you would clear a room of monsters and the game would give you a message "This room looks safe for rest", then you could rest there - once.
In the city you had to rest at the inn.

Desolate Dancer

Educated
Swordflight had a very tense moment in a dungeon where you were only allowed to rest once, a ghost protected you from the other wandering undead in the area while you sleep.
I still wouldn't go as far as to make a unique scripted story at every such locations. I'm simply advocating for specific resting locations and an adjustable rest control in the options menu (at least 7 settings between infinite rest and only rest at inns). e.g. a dungeon with 3 levels should have 1 such resting location halfway thru, that you may only use once or more, depending on your setting

Desolate Dancer

Educated
The NWN2 mod Subtlety of Thay had a rest system similar to what others itt suggested, every once in a while inside a dungeon you would clear a room of monsters and the game would give you a message "This room looks safe for rest", then you could rest there - once.
In the city you had to rest at the inn.
Perfect, that's just the same thing I had in mind. I never played with that mod tho.

Desiderius

Patron
Likewise, if you're afraid players won't try new tactics have a fairy godmother/Elminster show up to walk players through the process if they wipe early, including how to use the combat log to see what difference prebuffs make/attacking weak saves and the like.

Or you could start out with different prebuffs on for different battles during the tutorial area then show the player how/when to apply them when needed once they hit the main game.

Deleted Member 16721

Queen's Wish kind of solved this issue. You have to complete a dungeon in one run and can't leave or else enemies respawn. You have to clear the dungeon in one go, utilizing resource management and making sure you are prepared and ready to go the first time you try it. I'm fine with a mechanic like that, you don't need to rest and you get rewarded for completing a dungeon in one go.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom