Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Hmm strange,i didn't had such problems. Must be the v sink,because that is the only different option between us, i always turn it off.

I have it off, I use a g-sync monitor.

I always cap my frame rate to whatever bottom minimum frame rate that I get. hypothetical example: say I'm playing a game and it chugs inside towns and drops to 48fps, but outside I can get 100fps, well then that means I cap it to 48fps and I play it at 48fps.

100+fps 95% of the time dropping to 70 in big cities is far less noticeably bad than running at 70 all the time.

Game has memory leak when you play it couple of hours so if your frame rate sinks and/or your game becoming choppy just restart it from windows. I am playing dumb character now its really funny at moments, missed that assistant can be saved guess this little game has a bit of hidden C&C after all but I am there for loot and bitches (and bitches prefer to hook with other bitches) so got there two hours or so after receiving the quest.

This isn't my experience, as it shoots right back up to 100-120fps when I leave said city. It's well known the game runs worse in those bigger cities, not sure why I'm getting pushback. It's pretty common in games of this type in general. I'm not complaining about getting 70-80fps in those areas, I'm saying if you are aiming for a solid 60fps on a 60hz monitor those areas will be your 1% lows.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I wrote a short review in RK47's thread:

playing through it now too. I like some elements: quest design is pretty robust in that you can kill just about anyone and still continue the game.

but like most obsidian games, the writing just isn't very compelling. chose between hippies or the cannery because. choose to take indian woman or not because. choose to kill people or not because.

it all feels very random, but the overall gameplay is decent for shallow fun, which I'm sure is why many like it so much.

also, the world itself is pretty unlikable. a solar system filled with corporate hipsters and sjws. just nuke it for all I care.

rpg mechanics are equally uninspiring. pick X for more damage or pick Y for more zany dialog options.

also enemies often have their limbs all pop off at once from being shot. weird but ok.

basically it's a boring Fallout 3 in the future where you don't need aliens because none of the boring hipster characters are even close to a believable human.

pretty scenery though.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Mainstreamy New Vegas (which sold like 12m) fans overwhelmingly love it. TOW reddit went from 30k to 100k in like a week

I would not say so. Reddit is very special in TOW's case - it is so alike to Instagram that I feel like I am leaking IQ just from looking at it.
But Steam is overwhelmingly negative (no surprise), Obsidian official forum is barely breathing and Resetera is somewhere between meh and nice.

Inevitable competition with PC version of RDR 2, Death Stranding and Fallen Order also does not improve its chances to stay in the center of attention for long.

Last edited:

Does anyone else find it somewhat of an ironic betrayal that it's Obsidian that's become the new, even more garbage Bethesda?

All those years of Kickstarters and getting you to buy their crappy Baldur's Gate knockoffs and then they turn around and poop out SJW Oblivion: The Shivering Isles In Space.

honkhonk.png

LizardWizard

Cipher
But Steam is overwhelmingly negative

EPIC BAD

Reddit is the epitome of mainstream. TOW is now a significant Gamepass driver and console copies were still apparently selling out in the states. It's a monetary slam dunk for a new IP that filled the empty void Mass Effect 4 and 76 left. Microsoft is going to fund the shit out the sequels by the two dudes that now have birthed two successful mainstream IPs.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Does anyone else find it somewhat of an ironic betrayal that it's Obsidian that's become the new, even more garbage Bethesda?

I would take 20 game like TOW than any Bethesda game tbh.

The only game that played from Bethesda that i liked was Skyrim and that was when i retarded by the hype. Nowdays is only good because i can mod so much that feels like a new game.

Oblivion even with mods is disgusting bad and Fallout 4 is a looter shooter.

Daidre

Arcane
It's definitely being treated as a "big hit" by the gaming media, but whether that means actually Fallout style sales numbers who knows.

I am pretty sure they got Fallout-style number of players. Question is, whether we can count all 1$ - 5$ subscribers as proper sales.

And how well Microsoft gonna finance the game that it plans to give almost for free in game-pass is another costs vs benefits question. They could try to cut costs and put it on gamepass Day 1, finance the shit out of it for proper AAA or do something crazy along the lines of Halo proud successor with multi-player.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Popular reception isn't exactly stellar with even mainstream forums finding ways to complain about the game. But it had 2 weeks in the spotlight with no competitive releases in sight and this is where most games make bulk of their profit. So I'd be surprised if it wasn't a slamdunk, financially at least.

The question now is whether Private Division will fund post-launch support on the level of Pillars that will keep the hype going until the inevitable sequel. They've gone strangely radio silent after the launch.

And how well Microsoft gonna finance the game that it plans to give almost for free in game-pass is another costs vs benefits question. They could try to cut costs and put it on gamepass Day 1, finance the shit out of it for proper AAA or do something crazy along the lines of Halo proud successor with multi-player.

Gears and Forza were on game pass on launch, no? And those are Microsoft's big buck makers. So I wouldn't worry about that part at all.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I am pretty sure they got Fallout-style number of players. Question is, whether we can count all 1$ - 5$ subscribers as proper sales.

I mean Microsoft aren't doing that shit to be nice. Their goal is to get as many subscribers as possible, convert some percentage of them to long-term subscribers and convert the gaming industry to a subscription focused one. So if it lead to a whole lot of sign-ups then it's a success for them as much as selling a few more million copies would have been.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Popular reception isn't exactly stellar with even mainstream forums finding ways to complain about the game. But it had 2 weeks in the spotlight with no competitive releases in sight and this is where most games make bulk of their profit. So I'd be surprised if it wasn't a slamdunk, financially at least.

The question now is whether Private Division will fund post-launch support on the level of Pillars that will keep the hype going until the inevitable sequel. They've gone strangely radio silent after the launch.

The mainstream seems to think thats fine game. It isn't 10/10 but it certainly a good game.
The game in last sale chart in UK was at top 5 with CoD and Luigi Mansions 3 being higher. Not bad when you it's competing with two AAA titles. One of them being the best launch of the switch this year and the other being CoD.

Daidre

Arcane
Gears and Forza were on game pass on launch, no? And those are Microsoft's big buck makers. So I wouldn't worry about that part at all.

I checked Gears 5 on Steam and that one makes Deadfire look like a smashing hit. Forza is more difficult to judge but its Metacritic page is far from a hot place also.
lxXSVcS.png

YARGVdq.png

EDIT: I think I start to understand why MS bought Obsidian.

Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How did this sell? Do we have any indication?

Physical copies are sold out all over the place. In the US, it was the number 3 seller on PS4’s digital platform for October (it came out on the 25th), behind only the new Call of Duty and Ghost Recon Breakpoint. That’s very good. In Europe, the Middle East and Africa it’s Number 5 for October across all platforms, digital and physical (that’s just sales, no Gamepass numbers).

It’s selling a lot better than Take-Two expected.

JDR13

Arcane

I checked Gears 5 on Steam and that one makes Deadfire look like a smashing hit. Forza is more difficult to judge but its Metacritic page is far from a hot place also.
lxXSVcS.png

YARGVdq.png

EDIT: I think I start to understand why MS bought Obsidian.

Well what did they expect? Did they actually think PC gamers would want to play GoW 5 after not getting 2, 3, or 4?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Why would Gears have high numbers on Steam? I know this is may as well be called PC Codex, but consoles exist, my nigga.

Daidre

Arcane
Physical copies are sold out all over the place. In the US, it was the number 3 seller on PS4’s digital platform for October (it came out on the 25th), behind only the new Call of Duty and Ghost Recon Breakpoint.

I know that not many people here interested in shooters and their revenues but Ghost Recon Breakpoint was lauded as brutal failure that plunged Ubisoft stock value for more than 30%.

The company also slashed projected operating income to between 20 million and 50 million euros, from a previous target of 480 million euros.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ts-on-poor-ghost-recon-breakpoint-performance

Claiming that TOW is so good that it is right behind Breakpoint is... funny.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
That’s very good. In Europe, the Middle East and Africa it’s Number 5 for October across all platforms, digital and physical (that’s just sales, no Gamepass numbers).

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...uty-modern-warfare-dominates-the-emeaa-charts

Top 5 behind Medevil , CoD , WWE and FIFA20 without Gamepass numbers.

What surprise me is that trash WWE game is selling so well.

I know that not many people here interested in shooters and their revenues but Ghost Recon Breakpoint was lauded as brutal failure that plunged Ubisoft stock value for more than 30%.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ts-on-poor-ghost-recon-breakpoint-performance

Claiming that TOW is so good that is right behind is... funny.

Perhaps what Ubisoft considers a failure , it's big success for AA publisher.

Deleted Member 16721

The Plasma Carbine is cheat mode when you first get it. I increased the mag size and accuracy and it's deadly against all enemy types. Beats the assault rifle for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would take 20 game like TOW than any Bethesda game tbh.
Why? The game is hollow garbage.

And now that this is doing well, this is where the money will go. Crappy sequels to a crappy game, just like Oblivion.
The only game that played from Bethesda that i liked was Skyrim and that was when i retarded by the hype.
I doubt it was the hype lol
Fallout 4 is a looter shooter.
And so is this.

edit: I see some negative ratings, but no one is able to tell me what's so great about this game. what a shock. :roll:

Last edited by a moderator:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Why would Gears have high numbers on Steam? I know this is may as well be called PC Codex, but consoles exist, my nigga.

They came out at the same time, so I doubt the console version's existence problem. More likely 1 not being on PC until late and 2-3 not being on PC at all resulted in the series having no PC fanbase. Also there's much better online shooters to play with a more PC focus (so I'm told).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom