Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker Builds and Strats Thread

Yosharian

Arcane
More questions about loot: anyone know where Castigator's Cloak and Absolver's Cloak are found?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Also what does everyone think is the best weapon for a mage to equip? Some of the more powerful quarterstaves seem to have caster bonuses such as +spell penetration, otherwise there's Arcane Protector for an easy +3 AC I suppose.

Ruin depends on Alignment, Chaotic gets the pen. Evil gets +4 profane INT from Cephal's Staff.

I'm liking the Sacred +4 DEX Bow.
Aww that'd be awesome but my mage is a Sorcerer, not a Wizard.

The Call (staff) has Glitterdust at will and two Deva summons per rest. Linzi has been switching between that and Agile weapons.
That's nice I suppose. I'll probably go for Quarterstaff, then.

Arcane Protector plays nicely along the Lightning Duelist. More Initiative is nice, particularly on a caster and even moar AC. My Octavia was rarely targeted.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
No idea where that is

Haplo, how do you get 30 INT on your Sword Saint? Starting 16, +2 bokken potion, +2 ring of circumstances, +8 hat, that's 28, still two short of your screenshot?

Yeah, good observation. Some may consider it kinda cheating, it's a racial trait from a mod that let me trade the tiefling spell-like ability for 2 more Int.
That's why I always state 9 Int mod when describing SS benefits.

Yosharian

Arcane

Yosharian

Arcane
This Gyronna's Amulet thing, where is it found and how exactly does the Mirror Image thing work, is it permanent, cast at-will, casts per day, or what?

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
This Gyronna's Amulet thing, where is it found and how exactly does the Mirror Image thing work, is it permanent, cast at-will, casts per day, or what?

It drops from Knurly Witch in HATEOT.

Mirror Image on it is described as permanent, but afaik it is more once/per encounter. You start combat with it fully charged and images (charges) are not refreshed until combat ends.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

It drops from Knurly Witch in HATEOT.

Mirror Image on it is described as permanent, but afaik it is more once/per encounter. You start combat with it fully charged and images (charges) are not refreshed until combat ends.

I got a Mirror Image belt this time from Leather Artisan I think? 2 shots 5 min each I think.

Yosharian

Arcane
Haplo could you break down your attack bonuses to get that +47? I built a similar character and its attack bonus is way less than yours so I'm just wondering what's causing the difference

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Okay, I'll check it sometime over the weekend, after I return home.

Probably my character was buffed on these screens, so you should take that into account. For example Transformation is +6 BAB here.

Sykar

Arcane
I wonder right now which type of arcane blaster can achieve more damage, crossblooded orc/dragon sorcerer, from Eldritch Arcana mod, or AT? A crossblooded sorcerer essentially can get +3 extra damage per caster level for their element and +2 for the others. An AT can achieve 12d6 with Sense Vitals SA realistically. I guess the easy way to compare would be to assume 3.5 average damage so that would be 12*3.5= 42 damage. You can get this around level 15. Compare that with 15*3=45 for their chosen element and 15*2=30 for other element, it seems that they ca achieve a little higher damage on average for their element but significantly less for any type of damage. I guess they are quite good in terms of consistency whereas AT has much bigger variance.
What you guys think?

Daidre

Arcane
You could be both crossblooded orc/dragon sorcerer and AT. Spell progress is 2 levels behind wizard, but both +1 per dice damage traits are not level scaled, they work at 100% at lvl 1. Spell repertoire is another issue altogether but (Half) Human favorite class bonus for one extra spell fixes it at level 15-20 somehow.

It makes one utterly focused nuker caster.

Sykar

Arcane
You could be both crossblooded orc/dragon sorcerer and AT. Spell progress is 2 levels behind wizard, but both +1 per dice damage traits are not level scaled, they work at 100% at lvl 1. Spell repertoire is another issue altogether but (Half) Human favorite class bonus for one extra spell fixes it at level 15-20 somehow.

It makes one utterly focused nuker caster.

I consider that an oversight. It should have been for the level you can cast. So leaving crossblooded sorcerer at 1 should only enable you to apply the damage bonus to level 1 spells. But yeah, this retardation is allowed under the current rule set. I will never touch it with a ten foot pole though.

Daidre

Arcane
Personally I prefer crossblooded sorc to wiz-AT but due to my love for spontaneous casting. I'd also try to fit Arcane as one of bloodlines because feat pool for Orc + Dragon is rather meh for spell-caster.

Sykar

Arcane
Undead + Arcane might be nice with obvious specialization in necromancy. Orc/Dragon feat pool is not the greatest but at least has Toughness and Imp. Initiative which are always nice to have.

Edit: Arcane+Fey+Shakleborn -> +5 on compulsion enchantments, which most are. Add +2 from spell focus and +1 from mage tatoo and viola, +8 DC to many enchantment spells, like Constricting Coils and Dominate Monster.

Last edited:
If you're going to do a cross-blooded sorcerer, do Undead & Serpentine bloodlines, so you can use enchantments and illusions on nearly every creature there is. If you want to blast too, just add AT on top. Being able to CC everything will better allow you to nuke without having to constantly rely on Improved Invisibility.

Sykar

Arcane
Ok got my crossblooded orc/dragon half orc to level 3 just to test her out a little. I did not know that you could select the second Blood Havoc Mutation power, thought it was kinda "exclusive". So now she gets 4 extra damage per damage dice rolled with fire spells and +3 for other elements, just tested it out with Burning Hands and I got a pretty sick 5d4+20 for 32 fire AoE damage on a failed save, that is with Spell Specialization:Burning Hands, of course. Some people said they do not like the loss of a spell known per day, but +4 extra damage per die? Up to +80 at CL 20? I do think that is a fair trade. You still end up knowing as many spells as a sorcerer from the original 3.5 rule set.
The next question is what second element? Tempted to go cold, though lightning is tempting too, but cold with EA offer a nice level 2 CC spell with Ice Slick. Lightning gets a nice spell at level 3 which dazes the target every round, though it does not deal a lot of damage.

Daidre

Arcane
The next question is what second element? Tempted to go cold, though lightning is tempting too, but cold with EA offer a nice level 2 CC spell with Ice Slick. Lightning gets a nice spell at level 3 which dazes the target every round, though it does not deal a lot of damage.

I like electricity for an end game spells. Chain Lighting and Stormbolts are very convenient for use without friendly fire and compatible with all +damage per dice bonuses, so it can compete with Wail of the Banshee for the title of the ultimate nuke in wizard spellbook.

Daidre

Arcane
Lightning it is!

I am in constant conflict about fire vs electricity. Fire opens very strong with Burning Hands > Burning Arc/Scroching Ray > Fireball, but all AoEs reflex-based so it turns disappointing against Fey and enemies with Evasion.
Stormbolts strongest attraction is being Fort based and Stun (almost nobody has blanket immunity against this one).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom