Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingpin: Reloaded - remaster of Kingpin by 3D Realms

geno

Savant
https://3drealms.com/catalog/kingpin-reloaded_171/

3DR - Frederik Schreiberhoy a las 13:18
@here Channel for the Unannounced 3D Realms FPS, created in collaboration with the Fallout creator, Chris Taylor. To be unveiled at PAX South, 2020.
Here we go again. I like the new 3D Realms editorial direction.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
unknown.png

got nothing more beside this screenshot

stay tuned!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well some tidbit from the channel:
  • It has RPG elements. (Whatever that means.)
  • Also uses an old-school engine.
  • Developed by Slipgate, the company working on console ports of Wrath

Gibson

Learned
3d Realms? now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time

[insert Gandalf_meme]

ironmask

Arbiter
When will they make something that's not on a old school engine to cash on nostalgia?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I always wondered what happened to Taylor after that vaporwarey Fallout online project with the Bulgarians (Masthead?). I remember receiving two newsletters and then nothing.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
What old engines have even been released with licenses that would allow it? I suppose Id/Epic/ect would be willing to license one of their antique engines for money.

If we're thinking of old engines 3DRealms that hasn't been used yet, they've yet to use something Doom based.
Due to EPIC being Tencent now, I doubt anything legacy Unreal Engine wise would be easy to work out.

geno

Savant
What old engines have even been released with licenses that would allow it? I suppose Id/Epic/ect would be willing to license one of their antique engines for money.
Is id Tech 4 old enough? I really can't think in another old, open-source engine besides the id Tech ones.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The most likely candidates are the id Tech based ones.

Other old school first person-oriented engines that have been open sourced are Aleph One (Marathon), Torque (Tribes), HPL1 (Penumbra series), Serious Engine 1 (Serious Sam), Amulets & Armor (i don't think the engine has a name) and System Shock 1 (same). There also have been several old open source engines that have a retro feel, such as Genesis3D which have been used in a bunch of budget titles (e.g. Catechumen).

Depending on where they want to release the game, some of those may not be available. Most are released under GPL which requires the source code of the entire game to be released alongside the game (or a written offer valid for three years to offer the source code to anyone who requests it) and forbids imposing any additional restrictions. This is incompatible with pretty much all console SDKs (except open consoles like what the new Atari console, if that ever happens). Some are also under the GPLv3 which also requires that the end user is able to replace the provided executable with one they built themselves (or built by someone else for them or whatever, the important part is that the end user should be allowed to replace the executables) which *i think* is also incompatible with the sandboxing that Windows Store uses (though i'm not 100% sure, it might be possible for the application to use a small launcher that calls an unprotected executable the user can replace, thus satisfying that requirements). The one that is most permissive is Torque which uses the MIT license which is compatible with everything (and i also think has some console support though i'm not sure if it is up to date with current consoles, but it should be portable at least).

Of course all these are if they want to use the engines without bothering/paying anyone. They can always ask for a commercial license from whoever owns the engine copyrights (though in that case they can only use the original engine versions released by the original developers and cannot use any fixes and extensions by the community).

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Spoonfeed me on the drama
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...p-patch-after-anti-sjw-review-bombing.129233/
1)Developer said in Discord a year ago that chopping junk of 6-years old is bad.
2)Usual suspects found it recently and started review-bombing Ion Fury, all six people. Also they were offended by Ogay liquid soap and fagbag writing in some unreachable sector.
3)3D Realms said that will donate 10 grands to pro-tranny charity and send all Voidpoint developers to re-education camp. Also they said that will remove soap and inscription with an incoming patch.
4)After Ion Fury was review bombed as hell and not by six people as previously, they relented and said that soap will remain but "fagbag" will not. Everyone rejoiced and quickly forgot about $10k donation and re-education camp. Morons.

CyberModuled

Savant
Will they donate money to a pro-child abuse "charity" after it releases?
Spoonfeed me on the drama
(read fast because Infil might filter the comment out)

Ion Maiden comes out and ResetEra gets pissy at a bunch of comments on the 3D Realms discord from VoidPoint developers (creators of Ion) that are deemed by them to be "transphobic" (which surprise, surprise, they're really not). 3D Realms rather than sticking up for the dev teams basically punishes them by having $10K sales of the game be sent to some random trans hotline suicide center, planned to censor the game due to "homophobic" references (one Olay bottle that's spelled "Ogay" instead and text OUTSIDE THE FUCKING LEVEL THAT CAN ONLY BE SEEN WITH CHEATS with the text "fagbag"), and saying that all devs they work with from now on will have to take state mandated sissy hypnosis lessons regarding how not to be "sexist" or whatever. At most due to the review bombing 3D Realms pulled back on the censorship but not only have they still donated game money that should've gone to the development of the game with post content to some tranny fund but now they've basically alienated the game to both the woke and "redpilled" groups so neither of them will buy it. Also a VoidPoint dev pointed out that they not only were their salaries based on the game's sales but as well as the game's future content such as expansions and patches. As of now there has been only one patch out and the last update on Steam was on Sept 20th (which were the devs talking about AI design and such). Along with all that bullshit you also have the possibility that all of this might've started from some retarded anon who was pissy the devs didn't want to use Shelly's old blonde design.

tl;dr They've made VoidPoint undesirable devs to work with despite being good people by ousting them as "transphobic", they've shot themselves in the foot by treating their developers like shit, and they've shot most possibilities of Ion Fury or the franchise (or hell, the 3D Realms brand in general) to have a good future.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
3DR's Frederik confirmed on Discord that this is using Quake 1 engine. (Well of course they want to make use of the experience porting Wrath.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom