Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Outer Worlds is a commercial success, patches and sequel on the way

biggestboss

Liturgist
7HqGHi1.png

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The ones I enjoy, like Battle Brothers or Xenonauts have abso-fucking-lutely nothing to do with existence of nuXcom.
But their relative success may have been facilitated by NuXCOM's popularity. Hard to gauge that sort of thing with any accuracy, but I doubt in any case that NuXCOM-like tictacs games would've been A) made in the first place, and B) made old-school and hardcore, if NuXCOM hadn't achieved the level of success it did, so there's no negative impact either way. I agree with your thoughts on the game itself, though.

Repressed Homosexual
TOW 1 sales drew strength from New Vegas.
TOW 2 will have to draw strength from TOW 1.
Nobody will buy TOW 2.

It's gonna be the Pillars of Eternity story all over again.

You still don't understand how AAA game marketing works with all the times Bethesda has done it?

In this category, a publisher with deep pockets can spend so much on marketing and promotions with retailers that they can effectively buy a commercial success.

If there is a sequel to TOW, in an ideal world it would add some life to the game beyond just trying to overtake Bethesda. Maybe a bit more depth in the writing, less lolsoretarded bullshit. Actually make The Outer Worlds feel like worlds and not meme generators.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They never said no DLC, they just haven’t announced anything or even referenced the idea in passing.

Eagle-eyed Woedica found one of Obsidian's artists referencing TOW DLC in her instagram not too long ago. She deleted it after Woe called attention to it (Obsidian people do continue to lurk the thread). :)

laclongquan

Arcane
God, do you guys like anything? Every thread on this site uses the same several keywords while explaining how everything sucks. The edge...the edge.
Aaaaaah, youth~ The youthful ever present WANTING desire to love something, to have hope that something will turn out to be good. That the cheese will be around that right there corner.

Grasshoppah, let us impart one word of wisdom, one word of attitude to you

"WARY".

Because the world will not FAIL to disappoint you. It will BEAT the hope out of you. The cheese, if ever be there and not poisoned, will be moldy.

Last edited:

slowtard

Educated
But now that Microsoft owns Obsidian, they have a huge incentive to skip right to the sequel. Any DLC for The Outer Worlds would be published by Private Division, meaning PD keeps most of the profits, while it sounds like Outer Worlds 2 would be published by Microsoft. So making DLC may be a waste of manpower from Microsoft’s perspective—makes much more financial sense to put the whole team on a project where Microsoft keeps all the money.

Dis interesting. Depends on original agreement with old daddy, and how it might have been revised by deal between old daddy and new daddy when new daddy came on the scene. Original agreement would definitely have had stipulations about DLCs, like obligation to make them if old daddy finds it desirable, or else old daddy can just hire someone else to make them. But then, new daddy is extreme bigshot, likely very persuasive in a looming-over-you kinda way. Money talks, old daddy walks. Or, we'll see!

One thing for certain, Tim Cain deserves a *manly* squeeze. And he is gonna get one, indubitably!

ravenshrike

Novice
They never said no DLC, they just haven’t announced anything or even referenced the idea in passing. Leonard has suggested there was a lot of cut content—the grayed out planets may originally have been actual hubs—so in theory it might not be too hard to turn some of that into DLC.

But now that Microsoft owns Obsidian, they have a huge incentive to skip right to the sequel. Any DLC for The Outer Worlds would be published by Private Division, meaning PD keeps most of the profits, while it sounds like Outer Worlds 2 would be published by Microsoft. So making DLC may be a waste of manpower from Microsoft’s perspective—makes much more financial sense to put the whole team on a project where Microsoft keeps all the money.
There will be a DLC or two. If only because MS will want polished upsell opportunities for all the GP subs.

As for any sequel, I find it unlikely that a sequel would be set in Halcyon. Instead it would probably be on a different colony with a different government structure and new problems with a set number of flags that reference the first game without having to account for everything.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I suppose it's a good thing, that it's succesful. Perhaps Cainarsky can actually expand on their idea...possibly even in an interesting way. Or perhaps not...

Going on from just hearsay (since I haven't played the game), for TOWTWO... More environmental interactivity and skillchecks (or, more varied and crowded interactivity-wise; RPG's should have more to them than just talking, killing and picking locks), heavier impact from skills to gameplay (i.e. harsher base penalties to compensate - and precisely compensate, not match deterministicly - with skills and stats; if not by default, then possibly tied to difficulty setting). Those things jumped out to me already when following the promotion phase of the game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Aaaaaah, youth~ The youthful ever present WANTING desire to love something, to have hope that something will turn out to be good. That the cheese will be around that right there corner.

Fluent's in his 30s. This is just how he is.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Not to be a downer
actually fuck this game and fuck obsidian overrated company who got lucky with two decent games but for some reason everyone worships despite putting out nothing but absolute trash shit for years
but I doubt there's many sales for either xbox or pc since you get the game for $1 as part of microsoft subscription (on DAY ONE nonetheless, like they knew the game was ass so they immediately throw it in the bargain bin) and PS4 sales have it ranking behind masterpieces such as WWE2k20 and FIFA2k20 which was released months ago. It did manage to slightly outsell Medievil, which is a remake of some game that nobody's ever heard of from the 90's.

You can't trust earnings calls when they mention their games are "exceeding expectations" their job is literally to stretch the truth as far as legally possible so they can say shit like that.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Why is the Codex rejoicing that a bland, dumbed down FPS adventure is commercially succesful?

Who is rejoicing about that game? Point at him and I'll cut off his head because he is imbecile anyway.

TOW 1 sales drew strength from New Vegas.
TOW 2 will have to draw strength from TOW 1.
Nobody will buy TOW 2.

It's gonna be the Pillars of Eternity story all over again.

Yeah, that's what I was going to say.
No doubts that that different store they are selling this shit-pretends-to-be-game will ensure some financial safety pillow for them, but sales will be bad.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
hopefully with all that money, they can hire an stylist to give them advice about how to model female faces and hair.

Dude, did you buy all that nonce "long hairs are difficult to model, out artists just not crafty enough"?
That was done on purpose wake up.

Just as this was done on purpose.

Dr Schultz

Augur
The gates of decline are now open. This game will kill a good portion of upcoming RPGs like nuXcom killed TB tactical games.

Are they? In almost 30 years I've played basically any worth tactical game on the market, being it turn based or otherwise, and I've never been satisfied from this genre like I'm today.

jac8awol

Arbiter
After reading reviews and watching a few streams, I decided not to buy this game. It seemed like a sterile, vapid product that was not pushing the genre forward in any of the ways I hoped. If it is indeed doing well financially, I'm disappointed that this is the direction we're taking.

MrMarbles

Cipher
The gates of decline are now open. This game will kill a good portion of upcoming RPGs like nuXcom killed TB tactical games.

Maybe it's not all bad. As shallow as Outer Worlds may be, it is deeper than Fallout 4/76. Some developers may see in it a lesson that they can go further in treating customers as adults, further even than OW.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Some people still haven't learned that these companies are not monoliths and the internal structure shifts all the time and what talent a company has rarely stays for very long. Kind of silly to ponder why a new game is not as good as an older one when half of the people that made the older one are now gone.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
So many people in this forum are very weak in their mind, getting butthurt over a headline. How do you survive in society? Oh, you don't.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom