Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Long Journey Home- - Star Control 2-inspired roguelike from Daedalic Entertainment

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I wonder Daedalic West studio is no more?

According to his Linkedin profile, Director Andreas Suika is now Developer Relations & Scouting at Daedalic.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
A weird end to the story. Apparently they pushed spyware into the latest patch for profiteering purposes, but when it didn't prove profitable enough and they got caught, removed it:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/366910/discussions/0/1741101364300190771/

What a world.

This is what I talk about when I complain about developers having contempt, rather than love, for their players (and their games) and why it is the root of much evil.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I don't want to defend the publisher / developer, because they could have made it more obvious and offered an opt-out, instead of a "communication mistake", but I think "spyware" may be a bit too harsh. It looks about as intrusive as the average visit on a website with Google ads.

This is what I talk about when I complain about developers having contempt, rather than love, for their players (and their games) and why it is the root of much evil.

That's what leads to those "communication mistakes" aka "forgetting" players to tell what they are implementing a tracker in this case. I wonder what they were thinking, I don't remember an instance of similar behavior, which didn't tarnish the company's reputation.

Last edited:

Deleted Member 16721

So this game is pretty good. I've been playing it with a controller (highly recommended, keyboard and mouse is too hard to control ships with) and it's a lot of fun so far. Played a few hours in Story Mode to learn it, which I'd recommend until you get the hang of things. I think it's well worth the purchase on sale, it's an interesting game thus far.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have 5 runs on adventure and no one survived yet.

The best i have gotten is 18000 parsecs away from sol. Jesus.

Alot of time i got too involved in quests, running around pointlessly and since resources dont respawn i got stuck and died from energy fuel out.

Some of the story are definitely interesting. Chemtrails in the sky was a great story lol. The thing is after 5 run, it started moved from fun to frustrating. You can die from the dumbest reason.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
It is definitely no star control 2 imo. The loot, upgrades, are alot more shallow than star control. Plus since it is roguelike which you will die and start over again and again , it is much less forgiving.

(I found SC alot more forgiving because it have actual save system, but also if you are patient just take it slow early in the game till you get more upgrades)

Also the economy is kinda wank. I generally dislike roguelike for this exact reason. Some time i have fun, sometimes i got screwed either because shitty RNG, shitty control, or straight out bad seed. If this place has no random gen and more thought out placement, story and balanced economy it would be better, even sacrificing the replayability.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Huh, it's down to a sale price low enough to be negligible. Last year I thought I might give it another try someday. But based on my previous experience and the mediocre reception it continues to get, this simply isn't worth my gaming time any more. TLJH, the game where no one cares what is happening, not even you.

oasis789

Arcane
The thing is after 5 run, it started moved from fun to frustrating. You can die from the dumbest reason.

Plus since it is roguelike which you will die and start over again and again , it is much less forgiving.

It's your game; You can play it however you want. Nobody will judge you for manually backing up and restoring save files. Otherwise agreed, I made the same observations in my review from 2 years ago.

But based on my previous experience and the mediocre reception it continues to get, this simply isn't worth my gaming time any more. TLJH, the game where no one cares what is happening, not even you.

Everyone decides what their own time is worth; Time enjoyed isn't necessarily wasted. This game isn't perfect but it is really quite special. There just isn't any other game quite like this nowadays, period. Just look at the discussion on Crying Suns and Shortest Trip to Earth.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Man, I was tempted to bite since there was a sale and I have a strange relationship with this type of game. For modern incarnations only Out There on android really got it right for some reason, though I went back to it a month later and they had patched out the fun somehow. This seems worth a shot?

Anyway, I go to Steam and I already own this game! Picked it up in one of the many Daedalic bundles I fell for in the wake of Shadow Tactics.

Looking forward to trying out this "RPG" later.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
i finished it. got my crews all alive back home. . .

albeit in story mode. it's just less frustrating. your shit dont break as much, and resources are more forgiving.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
i finished it. got my crews all alive back home. . .

albeit in story mode. it's just less frustrating. your shit dont break as much, and resources are more forgiving.

Was it a good time?
yes and no, if i had started story mode first i might have some more fun with it, but at this point i was already kinda frustrated, but there was an attempt to create worthy successor of SC2. i find the alien races endearing and each have their own little questline and they are all optional. there are several major races, but only 4 of them appear at a universe depending on your seed. some are enemies to each other, and if you do 1 quest, the opposing faction will reduce their opinion of you. there are minor races that is a constant i think and the universe does have their own lore and mentioned / foreshadowed alot, but i don't think i want to replay enough time to play all the storyline to know them all.

gameplay wise, it's kinda repetitive. combat is okay, some enemy ships have decent variety but your own is kinda limited (at least with the 2nd laser updgrade) unlike UQM where you can have several weapons types. obtain ally alien ships, etc. but again, i am not delving into the game mechanics too deep. some quests are funny/have interesting story or downright annoying. the thing is sometimes doing quests too much can lead to your doom because you're wasting precious resources on wandering around the galaxy on a goose chase and resources don't repsawn. quests does give money, but sometimes risk vs reward isn't worth it, that alone isn't a bad concept, but by just how often rng screw with you, and how fast shit breaks down, it became a chore. my only successful run involve not doign any quest if it involve more than 2 jumps. i just move to a solar system with EM fuel, sometimes shipyard, and go again, etc.

maybe i am just bad at the game, but the difficulty feels more unfair than it is actually challenging, and it's sad they will never try to balance it out more (with story mode just more kindof a patchwork so people can finish up the game) but the game itself feels like it have heart, and there isn't just many like it. i dunno about star control origins but that one is taken down hard.

some mechanics i like is pretty autistic, but i do like driving the spaceship mostly by trajectory and using gravity wells to build momentum and turn around. mining minigame is somewhat awful but with the right character (the engineer or the pilot) it can make it easier.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Spent some time with this yesterday, it is one weird game. The quirky alien designs kind of jar with the cruel desolation of it all. You do feel surrounded by nothingness and the music is really haunting. There is nothing to the crew really, there's nothing to keep you company.

As I was Role Playing I chose to fly into the nearest sun, from which I suffered minimal damage.

Very chill time, I recommend for 7.50 space euros.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom