Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Because "players" opinion are much more trust worth, right? Especialy when you don't even have to actually play to submit a review.. yeah , no way people that are pissed about Epic Game could be drop negative review there or a fanboys could drop 10s when actually it's a 7-8 at best.

And how is that any different from game "journalists" who take points off a game's score if it doesn't feature woke politics? ...or add points/praise to the review if the game does feature their kind of politics?

At least your hypothetical anti-Epic consumer is coming from an inherently more honest place than the game "journalist".

jf8350143

Liturgist
Well, the user score on Meta critic is steadily going down and the PC one is lower than Greedfall

Metacritic User Score is literaly useless. Even trash lik FO76 has 10/10 and good games 1/10. It's retarded. Open Critic is way better than Metacritic because it take in account all reviews across all system instead putting PC with 14 reviews then ps4 with 50+ then Xbox with 30. They let retarded journos but at least it much better than "Epic bad" 1/10 and "Obsidian good. Bethesda bad" 10/10.
Hey there, Fallout 76 and ME:A are both better game than The outer worlds, don't trash talk them.

eXalted

Arcane
Finished it.

Every terminal in the game contains a story about how bad these corporations are.

"52 people died there, now we must lose money and hire more, damn."

"don't forget if you cut your legs off while working, we are paying from your salary"

"you did something illegal at work? don't forget that you pay your visit to our offices so we can dispose of you here"

I almost stopped reading at some point.

Can't decide if I like this game. It's not... bad.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Finished it.

Every terminal in the game contains a story about how bad these corporations are.

"52 people died there, now we must lose money and hire more, damn."

"don't forget if you cut your legs off while working, we are paying from your salary"

"you did something illegal on work? don't forget that you pay your visit to our offices so we can dispose of you here"

I almost stopped reading at some point.

Can't decide if I like this game. It's not... bad.
The terminals were ridiculous. There's way too many of them and they're all essentially the same unfunny joke over and over.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Edit: this is a pseudo open world game that rarely gives you the chance to be clever.

Yeah the quest for stimulant pills was utterly bizzare. Like why do you take away from me the opportunity to figure out different paths for myself.

Dishonored syndrome, wherein playtesters were unable to complete a level because an NPC told them they couldn't go upstairs. https://www.criticalhit.net/gaming/without-clues-dishonored-was-too-difficult/

Codex Year of the Donut
Edit: this is a pseudo open world game that rarely gives you the chance to be clever.

Yeah the quest for stimulant pills was utterly bizzare. Like why do you take away from me the opportunity to figure out different paths for myself.

Dishonored syndrome, wherein playtesters were unable to complete a level because an NPC told them they couldn't go upstairs. https://www.criticalhit.net/gaming/without-clues-dishonored-was-too-difficult/
image.png

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Some people were naively optimistic enough to think that Cain and Boyarsky would bring incline to the popamole, but instead they thoroughly embraced it.

LudensCogitet

Learned
Some people were naively optimistic enough to think that Cain and Boyarsky would bring incline to the popamole, but instead they thoroughly embraced it.

Listening to legendary old school devs commentary, QAs, and talks I have occasionally gotten the creeping feeling that they see some of the things that made their great works great as mistakes or signs of immature design. Or that they themselves have just gotten tired and don't want to have to work to play games any more.

Bonerbill

Augur
I don't have any opinion on this directly since I'm waiting for a Steam release (and a substantial) discount on Outer Worlds, but I can't help but notice that your critique is an almost 1:1 match for JarlFrank's critque of Age of Decadence. There may be some people who simply can't stand the CYOA system of laying everything out in dialog.

That's not the issue at all. You don't do these things in dialogue. The issue is that this pharmacist woman is the roadblock. You need to get around her. You can just persuade her to give you the pills--fine, good. But there are two alternative ways to solve the quest: you can break into the store room or you can hack the computer--both good! The problem is that the woman who's supposed to be the roadblock directs you to both of these options. You don't need to explore or sneak around. What's the point of having these systems if you don't use them? You just follow her directions, which is weird because she should be the person who's trying to prevent you from breaking into the storeroom or hacking the computer.

That insurance girl in Ellie's quest girl that tells you that you can hack the terminal to get what you need. I these cases, I think these NPCs are portrayed to be stupid on purpose and they did it for laughs.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

At least it actually worked and it's a hit. If anyone deserves to ride into the sunset with bags of dollars, it's those two after the shit they went through with Interplay and Troika.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
After a few hours into Supernova I can safely say you should just stick with Plasma Rifle variant for ranged. There's just no comparison to it. Full charged level 21 Plasma with Corrosive mod melts non mega critter in one sneak attack. The bigger ones takes two.

It's pretty dumb that this gun still does good damage when not even charged, making auto rifles seem like a waste of time and ammo.

I wonder if optimal loadout in Nova would just consist of two Plasma Rifles one with Corrosive (anti-all) the other Shock (anti-mech) third slot is Mind control gun and last is Science Hammer/Corrosive TacShotgun

Note:
You can get Level 21 Plasma Rifle without combat at Odeon Studio in Byzantium pretty early if you work for the board.

Your tinkering can wait till you're level 17

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
There's way too many of them and they're all essentially the same unfunny joke over and over.
I kinda feel bad about the guy who had to write them.

Don't be, he or she or it (don't know anymore with how people identify himself, this person could identify themselves as a coffee maker) probably thought that they were so smart and hilarious despite that this type of callous humor has been done.

"Ooh this corporation is afraid that they are going to make less profit because the work process keeps killing employees. Why can't these damn employees stop dying or not die on their own time."

It's very lowbrow in its own way.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
you know what's funny about corporations? Gillete willingly took an 8 billion dollar loss in order to push a heavily political marketing campaign, and the CEO even said in an interview that it was important to get the message out... but they won't raise their employee salaries by one cent ^_^

Somehow I doubt we'd see a TOW writer use that kind of story for a terminal though.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
you know what's funny about corporations? Gillete willingly took an 8 billion dollar loss in order to push a heavily political marketing campaign, and the CEO even said in an interview that it was important to get the message out... but they won't raise their employee salaries by one cent ^_^

Somehow I doubt we'd see a TOW writer use that kind of story for a terminal though.

Indeed, now that has impact.
I am pretty sure the message would be lost on these writers though.

Corporations are happy to pander and tell you about your privilege if it helps sell them stuff but don't you dare talk to them about their privilege.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Listening to legendary old school devs commentary, QAs, and talks I have occasionally gotten the creeping feeling that they see some of the things that made their great works great as mistakes or signs of immature design. Or that they themselves have just gotten tired and don't want to have to work to play games any more.

Their goal is to get as many people to buy and play their game as possible. 20 years ago PC games were by nerds for nerds, or whatever the fuck you want to call it. Today "everyone's a nerd!" and shit is made to appeal to them all. You can't even write-off one-handed people without getting a "don't you feel bad?" Eurogamer article about it. Every game is supposed to be for everyone, and thus no game is for anyone.

Payd Shell

Arcane

That was probably just PR speak, though. They wouldn't admit that they've made a mistake by pandering to the twitter harpies, so doubling down on the whole deal is the only other option they had.

JDR13

Arcane
Are any of the Science weapons actually worth a damn? They don't seem to do any more damage than upgraded normal weapons. What am I missing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom