Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Shadenuat

Arcane
Holy Bolt doesn't work on Diablo since Hellfire.

D2 is interesting to play over and over again because of character building and solid basics. That is what kept it afloat and why people return to it. Games don't need limitless generated content to remain fun, they just have to be fun, then they become limitless.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yes, i played D2 4 times and completed normal/nightmare/hell only as a necromancer. And one reason that i prefer classic over LOD is because there are less OP items on normal. And can say. Depending the loot and my build, my gameplay experience is completely different.
D1 i also played countless of times, but unfortnetly doesn't have the same longevity of D2...

D3 in other hands. EVERYTHING is about AOE DPS. And i can't make different characters.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I mean, if your argument is that it's not autistic to reroll your paladin to play with fire aura instead of lightning aura because it's so radically different, but trying to fight more and more powerful enemies with your existing character and a set of gear that might change your damage from lightning to fire base because of some random drop is... I'm not sure what to say.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I mean, if your argument is that it's not autistic to reroll your paladin to play with fire aura instead of lightning aura because it's so radically different, but trying to fight more and more powerful enemies with your existing character and a set of gear that might change your damage from lightning to fire base because of some random drop is... I'm not sure what to say.

No, you picked the WORST example possible.
Common paladin builds
  • Auradin: using auras to kill.
  • Avenger: uses Vengeance as his main attack to add elemental damage.
  • Charger: attacks well and can beat casters in one hit (most of the time).
  • Cleric: focuses on healing skills
  • FoHer (Fist of the Heavens): using Conviction aura and "FoH" to kill his enemies.
  • Hammerdin: Teleports into the thick of the enemy and wipes out packs using the radial damage of Blessed Hammer(very good for magic finding).
  • Mage: a FoHer/Hammerdin hybrid.
  • Pindlesdin: Pindleskin farmer.
  • Ranger: uses ranged weapons.
  • Smiter: less adept at crowd control, but uses Crushing Blow to melt act bosses, uniques, and even the Ubers.
  • Zealot: fast attack and capable of striking multiple enemies at once (or one enemy multiple times).
https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Paladin_builds

There are little difference between a fire paladin and another auradin, but the fire one would have harder time on ACT IV due immunities...

Sykar

Arcane
The game has power creep but not number inflation. If you wanna see number inflation

Diablo 3 doesn't 'end' anywhere. It reaches those insane numbers because it has no hard level cap and keeps

Not true. The level cap is 70 and there are no way to pass GR 150

And yes, that is the end game of D3, doing the same thing over and over with bigger numbers.

Dark Souls has a ludicrous high level cap(i believe that is around 900) but most people play around lv 120 on DS1 and 150 on DS2 and the difference of someone with 99 STR and 50 STR is not big as the difference 40 to 50 STR... A a guy capable of clearing GR 100 doesn't have a fraction of the """power""" of someone capable of clearing GR 105...

Each 2 levels of GR the enemy health and damage doubles. That is ludicrous inflation.

When GRifts came out few could crack GR 70. Paragon levels are endless and there is a huge difference between paragon 10 and paragon 100. So yeah, there is no hard cap and GRift gets constantly pushed farther each season.

Sykar

Arcane
Yes, i played D2 4 times and completed normal/nightmare/hell only as a necromancer. And one reason that i prefer classic over LOD is because there are less OP items on normal. And can say. Depending the loot and my build, my gameplay experience is completely different.
D1 i also played countless of times, but unfortnetly doesn't have the same longevity of D2...

D3 in other hands. EVERYTHING is about AOE DPS. And i can't make different characters.

Do as I do, play LoD expansion with 1.09 patch. Problem solved. Also spares you the retarded synergy system. Now if only I could mod it so the weaker spells and skills get a boost to be more worthwhile. Also the game needed more magic immune as a big middle finger to Hammerdin.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Do as I do, play LoD expansion with 1.09 patch. Problem solved. Also spares you the retarded synergy system. Now if only I could mod it so the weaker spells and skills get a boost to be more worthwhile. Also the game needed more magic immune as a big middle finger to Hammerdin.

I don't think that synergies are a problem. I mean, if you become better at casting fireballs, makes sense that you will also becom better at casting firebolt. The problem is that they implemented synergies in the most retarded way possible. I only liked it on Druid, eg, fire elemental skills increase fire claw(other tree) damage. Cyclone armor increase hurricane duration. IMO bone skills should buff skeleton survivability because if you learned how to materialize a stronger bone wall, why not use the knowledge/power to create a better skeleton? In other words, synergies should been implemented to increase the build diversity, immersion and role play, not to reduce. Immunities are also a problem in D2 - Hell not because immunities are bad, but because is too common. A fire elemental immune to fire is fine. Regular weak imps are not fine. Do you know how many fire immune mobs are on Dark Souls 2? Only one. Demons are high resistent vs fire but not immune.

Generic-Giant-Spider

1.10 rune words ruined Diablo 2.

Synergies were implemented badly, but the insane power ascension from the rune words added in alone was overkill at that stage. In fact, Diablo 2 Classic is more fun to play because you avoid all that silly shit entirely.

Sykar

Arcane
S0rcererV1ct0r
Synergies lock you into builds. Try any dual build with ES. basically impossible with synergies. Or maxed Warmth. Or add Hydra into the mix. All synergies does is restrict the build variety. Despite the claims it opened up nothing. Lower level skills should have been simply buffed to scale a lot better, that's it. In fact TK/ES synergy is the dumbest shit ever. TK's damage stays pitiful even when both are maxed. ES on its own is worth less because the mana drain is freaking insane, and it already got counters with ghosts and mana burn special ability so that was completely and utterly uneccsary. Spending 40 points just for defense? Are you joking? Max Block or Vita do the same and you can dedicate most of these points into offense and utility. Hell I'd rather go 10 points or so into teleport so I can reach minimum costs so even when you get mana burned you can still teleport on without having the need to find something with D2M.
Synergies were and still are nothing but unnecessary and harmful. If anything the Barbarian needed a revamp. Why? An entire tree is dedicated to passives. That stinks of bad design. Worse is the lock in into weapon group passives. Found some good swords early? Great now you went sword mastery! What cannot find a good sword anymore but have a dozen of good axes and polearms? Great, try using them with shitty AR and low damage now.

1.10 rune words ruined Diablo 2.

Synergies were implemented badly, but the insane power ascension from the rune words added in alone was overkill at that stage. In fact, Diablo 2 Classic is more fun to play because you avoid all that silly shit entirely.

Well I really enjoy Druid and melee Assa, so 1.09 is the perfect patch for me. Also no stupidly OP runewords like Dupenigma and Infiniderp.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Sykar, my point about synergies is that they could be implemented in a less "mandatory" way restricting the player builds if had much more NON DAMAGING synergies. But i would prefer more passives instead of synergies.

Generic-Giant-Spider

All I know is that a concentration barbarian while almost unkillable is bloody boring to play.

My personal favorite Barbarian build was always the Berserker. And not that sissy bitch "one sword, one shield" variant, but the balls deep big two hander one. You can die fast, so just kill them faster.

Also a beast in PVP.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
One of my fave sets is the Immortal King for Barb. It just looks so cool:

immortal%2Bking.jpg

Unfortunately, like most sets in Diablo 2, it is not Hell-proof. Well, not /players8 Hell-proof in single-player mode anyway, which is all I care about.

Immortal King Barb whirlwinding at the 4-frame breakpoint:

And yes, that is actually one of my Barbs. I also have throw-barb and Frenzybarb, which have much more killspeed (2,000 pit-kills in 15 mins). But that's not on par with my Bowazon (7,000 pit-kills in 15 mins).

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I get the feeling that a lot of you don't really play this genre :M

The genre was supposed to be ACTION-ROLE PLAYING GAME. Not barbie dressing slot machine simulator with inflated numbers that means nothing.

One of my fave sets is the Immortal King for Barb. It just looks so cool:

For my favorite class(necro), the trang oul's avatar set was amazing too. Unfortnetly it bugs the casting speed who is vital to bonemancers

Set-trangs-full.jpg

https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Trang-Oul's_Avatar

Shadenuat

Arcane
Do as I do, play LoD expansion with 1.09 patch. Problem solved. Also spares you the retarded synergy system.
I read synergies were already there to extent but later they just showed numbers and then tweaked them to be stronger.

There is some locking, but I think you exaggerate - you can fine tune damage using multiple sources and +items. Like putting less in poison skills but more in Weaken Resist. Or neat how you can put in fire skills in Druid and that boosts melee skill in Shapeshifting tree.

One of the builds I want to try is druid bear which puts only 1 in Werebear, some in Maul before it damage scaling falls off, and max Dire Wolves + Grizzly + Wolverine to add extra summons and damage from there.

Agree that Barb and weapon reliant classes in ARPGs always struggle though.

My personal favorite Barbarian build was always the Berserker. And not that sissy bitch "one sword, one shield" variant, but the balls deep big two hander one
Max Find Item + Grim Totem is obviously the most prestigious choice.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
For my favorite class(necro), the trang oul's avatar set was amazing too. Unfortnetly it bugs the casting speed who is vital to bonemancers

Yeah, I've got full Trang's, too. Not useful in /players8 Hell single-player.

Please don't quote wikis to me. Maybe you don't know who I am, but my Diablo 2 blogposts go way beyond newb-wikis.

Shadenuat

Arcane
As I thought. Wanted Fend zon focusing on Passives with Valk but heard also of the Fend bug (that dodge breaks the animation).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom