Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

krilcebre

Learned
Apparently they already decided it's gonna have microtransactions. Way to ruin it before people even got hyped. :negative:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'm honestly shocked and surprised that people are shocked and surprised that D4 is going to have a cash shop. They couldn't have been more obvious about it when they announced that the game was going to have mounts. BfA has the lowest player activity yet it has made the most money because of the cash shop mounts. Once Blizz tasted that money there was no going back.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
They've also been a part of pretty much every game in the genre for the last decade or so.
Also, damage should work as a measurement. Eg, "this fireball is deadly as a cannon", so i expect that both have a similar damage
Quoted for emphasis.
You can't boil something like 'damage' or 'deadliness' down to a single number anyways. Is a water jet cutter more or less deadly than a hammer? Bullet vs arrow? Etc. Physics and anatomy are complicated, games abstract them for a reason.

Damage numbers and hp don't get bigger because you sword or character is more deadly, they go up because if there'd be no difference between anything you fought during the entire game.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You can't boil something like 'damage' or 'deadliness' down to a single number anyways. Is a water jet cutter more or less deadly than a hammer? Bullet vs arrow?

Depends the water pressure, distance, etc
About Arrow VS Bullet, depends , on distance, caliber, lbf of the bow, etc.

RPG's generally simplify numbers because nobody wanna to do 5 hours of math taking everything into account in a TTRPG.

I'm honestly shocked and surprised that people are shocked and surprised that D4 is going to have a cash shop. They couldn't have been more obvious about it when they announced that the game was going to have mounts. BfA has the lowest player activity yet it has made the most money because of the cash shop mounts. Once Blizz tasted that money there was no going back.

Every modern Blizz game has post sale monetization. WoW has subs, Overwatch has lootboxes. At least we can buy the skin that we want, not the mere chance of getting the skin...

bloodlover

Arcane
There is nothing wrong with cosmetics in D4 if they don't affect the gameplay. PoE has been doing this for ages and nobody complains (and their prices are not exactly low either). I just hope they put out free cosmetics as rewards each season like they do in D3. There is a huge market in microtransactions and any sane company would take advantage on it. My only concern is that these payed cosmetics might not all fit in the world of D4. Running around on a horse in gold plated armor doesn't exactly fit but horses of different kinds, banners, pets and stuff like that are doable.

Damned Registrations

Costmetics aren't a problem, but PoE has been selling QoL stuff since it started as well, and it's influenced the development towards some shitty features like dropping a million little unstackable tokens to clutter your inventory. I could easily see Blizz going even further and taking the korean stance of making you pay for waypoints, keys for lootboxes, xp multipliers, etc.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I mean, a "red" skin for a Iron Golem is ok, a effect on hurricane is fine. A vampire skin for necro, auras and etc too.. My fear is if they decide to put pink llamas and similar colorful stuff.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Cosmetics not mattering has always been a load of shit. Affecting gameplay or not, nobody wants to walk around looking like some sort of mish-mash clown in intentionally ugly looking armor so they feel more enticed to "stand out" by dropping cash. These aren't games you just drive-by, beat in a playthrough and go on. They're designed for replayability and to keep you coming back. Sinking hours into a game by the hundreds or thousands will eventually make most people break and shell out. It's scumbaggery done with a smile because, "it's only cosmetics." Being fine with shit doesn't make it smell any better.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
What I enjoyed about D2 classic was that there were few useful uniques and sets that you would use in hell difficulty, the rest of the time you would be excited when a rare dropped because of it being a potential upgrade. With LoD and the exceptional uniques and runewords gearing became more of a checklist of things to collect. That kinda killed it for me, and D3 just kept on with the same philosophy of best in slot scavenger hunt gameplay marking off a checklist.

Alex

Arcane
My main problem with Diablo 2 isn't even with its inflation, though that doesn't help. But what really kills it for me is how different the atmosphere is. Diablo 1 really nailed it with the NPCs, the village, the music, the enemy design, the spell design, the way magic worked with you having to look for those tomes. A lot of it was really simple and people might say the healer or the blacksmith are hardly the epitome of drama. But that is besides the point, they worked within the setting and worked really well. Diablo 2 never has the same impact with the player, at least it didn't to me. I specially dislike the class selection. The necromancer might have worked, although obviously not as a hero. The sorceress is less interesting as a character than the wizard from diablo 1, which at least looked foreign without looking displaced. The barbarian and the paladin too didn't look like they belonged in the same setting as Diablo 1, altoughI suppose it could have been made to work. The amazon however looked bad, really breaking the gothic atmosphere, but I have a special hatred for the druid because after making it such a big deal the secrets that were supposed buried in the church in Diablo 1, Diablo 2 comes along with a class based on a completely different kind of magic from the one we had seen in the previous game, and this just makes it feel cheap somehow.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I'm of the opinion that if you've sunk hundreds of hours into a game paying an extra 40$ isn't a big deal.

Nah, fuck that. Put the cool cosmetic shit in the actual game, attainable through normal gameplay means and use the money I gave you to initially buy the game to make an even better sequel.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Cosmetic is fine if it doesn't break style of the game and goes against spirit of the game, and sadly in PoE, it does. The visuals of PoE, a game where you begin as a loli in a dress made of sack with a branch as wand fighting zombies on a forgotten dark shores of Wraeclast eventually turn into wow anime burning illidan winged with 12 auras shooting screens of monsters with flying lazor discs.

krilcebre

Learned
If they do microtransactions like ANet did in Guild Wars 1, I guess it won't do much harm. Knowing Activision tho, I'm very skeptical.

Damned Registrations

Cosmetic is fine if it doesn't break style of the game and goes against spirit of the game, and sadly in PoE, it does. The visuals of PoE, a game where you begin as a loli in a dress made of sack with a branch as wand fighting zombies on a forgotten dark shores of Wraeclast eventually turn into wow anime burning illidan winged with 12 auras shooting screens of monsters with flying lazor discs.
???

Considering the auras and lasers bit happens without the cosmetics anyways, if anything, the burning illdan outfit is required to fit the style of the game.

Hassar

Scholar
My main problem with Diablo 2 isn't even with its inflation, though that doesn't help. But what really kills it for me is how different the atmosphere is. Diablo 1 really nailed it with the NPCs, the village, the music, the enemy design, the spell design, the way magic worked with you having to look for those tomes. A lot of it was really simple and people might say the healer or the blacksmith are hardly the epitome of drama. But that is besides the point, they worked within the setting and worked really well. Diablo 2 never has the same impact with the player, at least it didn't to me. I specially dislike the class selection. The necromancer might have worked, although obviously not as a hero. The sorceress is less interesting as a character than the wizard from diablo 1, which at least looked foreign without looking displaced. The barbarian and the paladin too didn't look like they belonged in the same setting as Diablo 1, altoughI suppose it could have been made to work. The amazon however looked bad, really breaking the gothic atmosphere, but I have a special hatred for the druid because after making it such a big deal the secrets that were supposed buried in the church in Diablo 1, Diablo 2 comes along with a class based on a completely different kind of magic from the one we had seen in the previous game, and this just makes it feel cheap somehow.

I agree, even though I have great memories of Diablo 2, usually playing a Sorceress, I thought the design was less interesting than Disblo I’s Wizard. It’s also telling that a few Youtubers playing D4 right now keep commenting that playing the Sorceress class (there will be a male Sorcerer option in the final build) was the least fun of the available classes. Sounds like the magic gameplay still hasn’t developed much.

Generic-Giant-Spider

The real fun will begin when they reveal the next two classes. There has to be some sort of bow/dexterity user, so that likely fills one spot of the two and then it comes down to Necromancer vs. Paladin being the final addition to the base game. Either way, people will be pissed.

Personally I wouldn't have had the Barbarian as one of the featured classes in what is supposed to be a return to medieval gothic horror. You'd think they'd put in a knight or something, like a templar for example. You could show a more serious, gloomy style in his armor. The Barbarian is more prone to looking cartoony because this is Blizzard and they can't help but put gigantic glow sticks in the hands of big guys.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
I'm so happy I found this great item in Diablo 1.

6317439003_c58919691d_o.jpg

Really will go a long way in helping me.
yikes - obsidian ring of the zodiac was rarer than hen's teeth, only manged to find one ever... had i been old enough to drink at the time, it would be cause for an epic bender

Swigen

Arbiter
I agree with the dude citing the atmosphere of Diablo 1. Of all the clones that’ve popped up over the years the only thing that comes close to giving me that Diablo 1 feeling is Nethack, which is like, beautiful maaaan ‘cause that’s what Diablo 1 was inspired by in the first place.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I liked the old sites showing they wanted to make Diablo a turn-based RPG. Guess that didn't fly (which is fine now). Cash shop D4? Yeah, online only play I see here (since I haven't been over to blizzard forums to bother reading anything in a long while). I'm still a bit pissed about D3 (never played it and probably neve will unless I get a console unit (I have shit net and have to hotspot so that's a no go). Maybe this new 5G network will help but tbh, I just want some hot hot hot fiberoptics my way with screaming speeds that would make 5G cry to mommy. What next, D4 is subscription like WOW on a monthly pay schedule?

Generic-Giant-Spider

Somebody should try to make Diablo 1 into its original vision as a turn-based RPG dungeon crawl. Shit, if we can have Doom as a roguelike then Diablo can still happen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom