Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Games you thought were shit, but you kinda like 'em

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Divine Divinity.

Gothic 3.

The Witcher.

Fallout: Tactics.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
ATOM. Now, hear me out. I've been hearing about Fallout games and their spiritual successors and shit for 20 years. All these mods, and Wasteland 2 and everything... well, I waited until two weeks ago to buy ATOM and damn. It captures the Fallout spirit without feeling derivative. Don't know how to say it, but I am enjoying it on it's own but at the same time enjoying the Fallout feel. That's pretty damn hard to do.

Jade Empire. It suffers from the usual BioWare writing and campaign progression, the gameplay makes it obvious that it's a console port, and combos are both game-breaking and unfun... but I still enjoyed it quite a lot.

Humanophage

Arcane
- Might and Magic 6. Really disliked it at first, seemed ugly and weird, even if the booklet was great. A friend hooked me up on it.
- Icewind Dale 2. Same as above, was shocked to see at how amateurish everything seemed even compared to IWD1; got strong Lionheart vibes from it. Convinced to play it by the same friend.
- Not an RPG, but Civilization 4 seemed somewhat mediocre and a bit of a downgrade from 3. However, later on I came to regard it as one of the best TBS out there, especially for multiplayer.
- Didn't like Alpha Centauri either at first because it was horribly buggy and mistranslated in my pirated version. Later came to appreciate it.

On the whole, however, not a lot of flips like this.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Age of Decadence.

I tried it a couple of times but I bounced off of it due to the camera, disgusting graphics, poor playability, and what I perceived as a lack of direction in the beginning of the game. Eventually, I sat down and promised I'd play more than an hour, and I got sucked in very quickly. Playing the game as a Merecanry instead of a background that's worse at combat definitely helped. It has great combat and a very solid setting/story.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Jade Empire. It suffers from the usual BioWare writing and campaign progression, the gameplay makes it obvious that it's a console port, and combos are both game-breaking and unfun... but I still enjoyed it quite a lot.

The only Bioware RPG I never finished. Keep thinking of playing it again someday, but... oof.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Also Jade Empire for me. Easily my favorite post-decline Bioware game. Bioware's usual wacky writing style often doesn't fit epic and serious stories they are trying to tell so KoTOR, DA:O and ME fell short for me. JE is a much more laid-back adventure with that 80's fantasy movie feeling so the things that irked me in other games actually enhanced the experience here. Also, pretty original setting for an RPG.

From non-RPGs: SHOGO. When people talk about that game they usually say how disappointing it was, especially compared to Half-Life but I simply love everything about it.

Doktor Best

Arcane
J-RPGs

As a non console kid I only heard and read about franchises like Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem or Dragon Quest. Especially FF7 and 8 was the talk of the school when they came out.

When Smartphones got powerful enough for emulators i decided to jump in with FF6. I first kind of liked it but was quickly put off by the cliche zero to hero story, juvenile and noninteractive dialogue, missing gamesystems beyond combat and trashfights in overabundance.

But well i still was bored when riding the bus so i got more into the genre. I started to appreciate them for what they were. Popamoled blobber offsprings for younger players, frozen in time and forever shielded from innovation in good and in bad terms.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
System Shock 2. The game was built up to me by others as some sort of masterpiece of survival horror, one of the scariest most atmospheric games of all time etc. So going in I expected a slower paced game along the lines of Thief crossed with Resident Evil, but then I played it and after 5 minutes the blaring techno music kicks in and I am bouncing around corridors smashing mutants in the head with a wrench. I was quite disappointed it was not the sort of survival horror game I was expecting but ended up liking it for what it was.

overly excitable young man

I can't play SS 2 with the music on. It's so annoying and destroys the whole athmosphere.
It's good, but more suited for something like Quake 3.

Risen
Turok: evolution
King's field 1

I used to despise Jrpg's,but they've grown on me and nowdays i play more jrpgs than Wrpg's.

Last edited:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
System Shock 2's music is awesome and perfectly fits the game. People who disagree don't know what they're talking about.

System Shock 2's music is awesome and perfectly fits the game. People who disagree don't know what they're talking about.
It's too action-packed for what's really happening there: Whacking mutants a few times with the wrench.

Falksi

Arcane
Witcher 2 was mine. Initially I thought it was a total decline from The Witcher 1, and it choosing to walk the pure action RPG path just frustrated me.

Gave it a second chance a few years later after the open World craze had started to rape everything, and absolutely thrived on it, as now it was in comparison FAR deeper to anything else coming out.

The 2nd playthrough was on The Enhanced Edition, which helped, and I enjoyed it so much that I played it straight through again straight after finishing it (something I very rarely do).

5 playthrough's later and it's gone from being one of my most hated games, to one of my top games of all times. Superb.

Much like DA:O, the evolution was jarring, but on reflection it was an evolution in the right direction. Whereas since around 2014 pretty much everything has been flushed down the shithole.

Codex Year of the Donut
Fallout 4 is alright if you ignore the story entirely and just do open world exploration.
Most of the writing is pretty bad but Valentine is actually pretty well written.
Silver Shroud quests were also good. Only quests I actually remember, anyways. Probably missed a bunch because I never finished it. Quit when I got to the institute.

SniperHF

Arcane
Anachronox is a chore to playthrough at times and gets by exclusively by it's charm, which while good I found overrated and not enough to sustain me past the first 3 maps.

Risen 2, mostly cause the protag is funny. Whole reason I never played 3 is they replaced him.

(I know it's the RPG forum but it does say games so....)

Unreal 2 - sure it's multiple levels of massive fucking decline, but it's still hard to make walking around and shooting things completely unentertaining. Cover shooters that came just after were worse where Unreal 2 is at least playable.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Risen 2, mostly cause the protag is funny. Whole reason I never played 3 is they replaced him.

Risen 2 is pretty well written, with lots of dry and sarcastic humor that made me actually laugh. Risen 3 lacks most of that sadly, and is very bland overall. It has better exploration though, and Risen 2's was terrible, so everything's a trade-off I guess.

That's the problem with later Piranha Bytes: You can't tell if they made a funny stupid joke or seriously try to tell a story.
But c'mon:

Falksi

Arcane

Risen 2 is pretty well written, with lots of dry and sarcastic humor that made me actually laugh. Risen 3 lacks most of that sadly, and is very bland overall. It has better exploration though, and Risen 2's was terrible, so everything's a trade-off I guess.

I loved Risen 2 and was bored to tears by Risen 3 for those very reasons.

Didn't think Risen 2's exploration was bad at all though tbh. WAY better than the open world trash we see now in the likes of Witcher 3 where there's not actually anything to discover.

Hidden gem for me Risen 2. Definitely flawed and one that relies heavily on that sarcastic humour, but also a game which I'd recommend everyone at least try.

Falksi

Arcane
That's the problem with later Piranha Bytes: You can't tell if they made a funny stupid joke or seriously try to tell a story.
But c'mon:

This is Risen 2. Sexism, dick jokes, and racism all squeezed into 1 quest........

Not one ounce of SJW-ness in sight.

A beautiful game, which reminds us of when the world was young, bird & beast were one with man, and death was but a dream............

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom