Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Generic-Giant-Spider

Third Strike was a lackluster fighting game that became beloved over night because of a 2 minute video from 2004.

Machocruz

Arcane
Yeah I kept trying to get into Third Strike, because of the animation, but I just never liked the way it played compared to Alpha series. Didn't feel as fast or smooth.

otsego

Cipher
- HOMM2 is more enjoyable than HOMM3

I, respectfully, disagree. HoMM 3 is an improvement in every single way, and is - in fact - a glorious standard set for all videogames made after it.

I agree that 3 is objectively better as a game and should be a gold standard. That is why I chose the word "enjoyable". I find the visuals, animations, sound effects, music, "simplicity" and overall charm of 2 to come together as a better experience overall.

I would similarly rank Diablo 1 over 2 for all the same reasons, despite 2 being considered the objectively better game.

dextermorgan

Arcane
I think anyone who has their panties in a twist over the whole epic vs steam "controversy" is... being overly emotional, to put it politely.
PlaintiveAdmirableDragonfly-size_restricted.gif

Chaosdwarft

Learned
Patron
RPGs should be more about the story and decisions than the stats. Don't get me wrong some stats are needed, but I should not have to read a whole book to know how things work. I am playing an RPG not a fighter plane! :?

Controlling and managing more than one character in a stats heavy RPG is a FUCKING CHORE. I already have enough trouble with my main character, why do I need to babysit the rest? Auto-upgrade should be an option more often. Or if it requires a player input to upgrade the party member, it should be done with 1 click maximum. :nocountryforshitposters:

Also D&D magic system, I never liked how it worked with the memorizing spells and rest to "refill". :timetoburn:

That's all for now.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
If you want 1 character go play one of the billion FPSs out there. You get no stats and no 'chore'. And if you want story play an Adventure Game or better yet, read a book, watch a movie.

Chaosdwarft

Learned
Patron
If you want 1 character go play one of the billion FPSs out there. You get no stats and no 'chore'. And if you want story play an Adventure Game or better yet, read a book, watch a movie.

Well good news for you, I already play FPSs. But they are an other type of guilty pleasure.

Now I did not say I wanted NO STATS. I am saying that something along the lines of Fallout 1-2 is a good amount of stats without being obtuse or complicated. The perks add some nice flavor too.

Also for the story part I guess I want some decent narrative. I am not expecting something like the Cursed Kings, every time I play an RPG. Just something to go along with the task without sounding like a parody or being too grandiose.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Efficiently stacking numbers and testing hand-eye coordination are not the loftiest goals a gamer can aspire to.

They are if I'm better at it than you, they are not if you're better at it than me.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
The PC gamer cultural identity was forged during the 2000s, the platform's darkest decade, and any one of these kids who entered PC gaming after 2010 and adhere heavily to the "master race" PC gamer identity are cucks, whiggas and just generaly guilty of cultural appropriation.

Garbage

Learned
Here's a truckload of spicy takes to get some people upset.

There has never been a good Kingdom Hearts game.

3D Tales Of games have garbage combat and are generally bad games.

Minecraft is objectively a bad game and anyone who gives it above 5/10 should not be trusted.

ATB is garbage and one of the worst things to happen to Final Fantasy.

Dragon Quest 11 wasn't even that good.

Cryptic mechanics that require serious investment are good design that often offer a satisfying experience to master.

Persona 3 is seriously overrated and Persona 4 does the actual gameplay part of the videogame a thousand times better. It's just the cast and ending that are worse.

Fire Emblem Three Houses is one of the worst videogames to come out in the past 5-10 years, failing on almost every front. Fates is objectively better, despite also being a steaming hot pile of shit.

Removal of random battles is the single worst thing to happen to the entire Pokémon series.

Xenoblade's combat system is probably one of the worst combat systems to ever shit onto the genre. This continues to the more recent game, XBC2, which also has a terrible combat system that's somehow worse than X's.

Advance Wars Days of Ruin wasn't even a bad game.

Banjo Tooie is a terrible game that's aged like milk. Banjo Kazooie is fantastic for most the game however near the end it's pretty garbage.
Speaking of Banjo, Nuts & Bolts isn't even that bad of a game. If there was an actual Threeie and this was seen as just a spinoff it wouldn't have gotten half the shit it got.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom