Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Kojima's post-apocalyptic deliveryman simulator

Venser

Erudite
Normally these snowflakes put their pronouns into Twitter description but this one has it in the fucking username. Next fucking level. Can't even tell if it's a parody.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Death Stranding. The gameplay is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the gameplay and Kojima will go over a typical gamer's head. There's also Kojima's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from very deep movies and literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these Kojima games, to realise that they're not just amazing- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Death Stranding truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the writing in Kojima's existential catchphrase "you rike it," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Hideo Kojima's wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Hideo Kojima and Death Stranding tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I love reading these comments because I am seriously enjoying the game. Most that has been said here is a gross exaggeration, so it just puts it all in perspective. Comparing Death Stranding to a walking simulator is absurd. It really is a Hiking Simulator as I said before. There is a distinction. It's pedantic as hell, but it's true. The traversal of the environment is not intrusive to the point of bogging down your progress with impediments, so it really comes together rather well. The UI does suck though.

One problem some people might have is they complete a bunch of extra missions before Episode Three when you unlock a bunch of shit, namely the ability to fast travel from base to base. I saw people bitch about that one. So just work your way to Episode Three's boss fight.

There is a bike a few hours into the game. Plus the exosuit I have currently allows you to sprint Elysium style. This game does encourage teamwork as they said. I felt good a couple of times when I placed some vital element in the environment that I knew would help. It also helped a ton when people started putting bridges up.

Is it the best game ever? No. People hype games up way too much. But it doesn't warrant a 6.8 like IGN gave it. Games like Fallout 4 get praised while games like this get trashed.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This game does encourage teamwork as they said. I felt good a couple of times when I placed some vital element in the environment that I knew would help. It also helped a ton when people started putting bridges up.
My only pity is that by the time I get to play this after a year or two, the online component will probably be deserted and I won't see these helping structures.

Viata

Arcane
This game does encourage teamwork as they said. I felt good a couple of times when I placed some vital element in the environment that I knew would help. It also helped a ton when people started putting bridges up.
My only pity is that by the time I get to play this after a year or two, the online component will probably be deserted and I won't see these helping structures.
The problem with every game that has this concept.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
The traversal of the environment is not intrusive to the point of bogging down your progress with impediments.

The fact that you say this straight faced even after having played the game tells me what a fucking fanboy you are not that your moniker "Big Boss" doesn't tip one off already. It is non-intrusive to stagger around like you are a late stage Parkinson's sufferer who just came off a 3 day meth bender even when wearing an exo-skeleton? It is also non-intrusive to be riding a motorcycle that will literally stop dead in its tracks for hitting rocks that a kid on a BMX bike could mount and conquer with ease. I think TheImplodingVoice was channeling you when he wrote that piss take on page 53 here.

Machocruz

Arcane
It is non-intrusive to stagger around like you are a late stage Parkinson's sufferer who just came off a 3 day meth bender even when wearing an exo-skeleton? It is also non-intrusive to be riding a motorcycle that will literally stop dead in its tracks for hitting rocks that a kid on a BMX bike could mount and conquer with ease.
Like the author adage: "write what you know" . What Kojima knows is consuming entertainment and working in game development. Maybe he has never done manual labor or rode a bike in his life, so he thinks it's reasonable not to be able to walk with a heavy burden on rugged ground without being in constant danger of stumbling. He should have had a mail carrier as a consultant. I know a guy name Jose he could have reached out to. Or read some Bukowski, he delivered mail for a spell.

Actually it would be interesting if he shed all the trashy sci-fi fantasy wank and made a game about game development, something he actually has first hand knowledge about.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
EI-Cn3kUwAALWBo

Gerrard

Arcane
It is non-intrusive to stagger around like you are a late stage Parkinson's sufferer who just came off a 3 day meth bender even when wearing an exo-skeleton? It is also non-intrusive to be riding a motorcycle that will literally stop dead in its tracks for hitting rocks that a kid on a BMX bike could mount and conquer with ease.
Like the author adage: "write what you know" . What Kojima knows is consuming entertainment
Too bad that entertainment he consumes doesn't include video games. Not enough time to play when you're busy watching Netflix garbage I guess.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
The traversal of the environment is not intrusive to the point of bogging down your progress with impediments.

The fact that you say this straight faced even after having played the game tells me what a fucking fanboy you are not that your moniker "Big Boss" doesn't tip one off already. It is non-intrusive to stagger around like you are a late stage Parkinson's sufferer who just came off a 3 day meth bender even when wearing an exo-skeleton? It is also non-intrusive to be riding a motorcycle that will literally stop dead in its tracks for hitting rocks that a kid on a BMX bike could mount and conquer with ease. I think TheImplodingVoice was channeling you when he wrote that piss take on page 53 here.

How do you know what my face looked like?

The only games of Kojima's I ever liked were some of the Metal Gear games. I dislike Kojima on general principle due to a number of reasons.

Produced, Directed, and Written by Bigg Boss.

Turns out he isn't the only one that makes the games. Whether a game is good or not has nothing to do with whether you like the guy who directed it. This disconnect is how you can watch a Tom Cruise movie without laughing your ass off thinking about Xenu.

It's not hard. It hasn't been inconvenient. I'm running around the environment with max load, jumping over fucking rocks, repelling down mountains...I outran BT's with a full load of gear without falling. I'm not even good at games. You don't actually know how the games navigation feels until you play it. I see a bunch of retards complaining about a fairly unique game just like retards complained about isometric turn based combat being too booooorrring.

Everyone hears negative talk, so they all pick up that narrative. As for staggering that depends on how you balance your load. I'm sure most people fell over once with their shit stacked like a Jenga tower, then turned the game off and went online to immediately vent on Codex.

Maybe this interests me because I know what it feels like to carry 80 lbs of gear on your back and go hiking. You do stumble and fall if you attempt to run and jump up mountains and down rocks. Shit is slippery when it rains.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
Thinking you can be a good game designer without playing games is like thinking you can be a good author without reading, or a good engineer without studying.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Death Stranding is the dark souls of walking simulators

While said in jest, it's probably true. But the sad thing is, turns out being a delivery driver is not the most exciting thing in the world, especially with more added tedium

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom