Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Megaten:

wkce95c87ex31.png

These 12 games so thoroughly defined the decade that at first glance I didn't know what 7 of them even were. Two of them I'm still not sure what they are, and I'm just kind of guessing another one of them might be Destiny...maybe? Even then I'm not sure which one if it is.

Seems like a pretty shit list. I mean, a lot of the time these kind of things can be bad, but this is like someone deliberately trying to make a terrible list.

Dark Souls 3 seems like an odd choice given the first one came out in 2011, and that's the big defining game of the series.

Walking Dead seems really weird given the games were always shit, and the love affair was clearly over with at studios brand of "adventure game" long before they went under. They were also never really all that big as it turns out, despite games media hyping the first one up so much.

That one game Double Fine made I can only see being there because of Kickstarter, and not the game at all. Although a better example of that, since people were actually into the game too, would probably be somethings like FTL

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

These 12 games so thoroughly defined the decade that at first glance I didn't know what 7 of them even were. Two of them I'm still not sure what they are, and I'm just kind of guessing another one of them might be Destiny...maybe? Even then I'm not sure which one if it is.

Seems like a pretty shit list. I mean, a lot of the time these kind of things can be bad, but this is like someone deliberately trying to make a terrible list.

Dark Souls 3 seems like an odd choice given the first one came out in 2011, and that's the big defining game of the series.

Walking Dead seems really weird given the games were always shit, and the love affair was clearly over with at studios brand of "adventure game" long before they went under. They were also never really all that big as it turns out, despite games media hyping the first one up so much.

That one game Double Fine made I can only see being there because of Kickstarter, and not the game at all. Although a better example of that, since people were actually into the game too, would probably be somethings like FTL

Dark Souls 3? That's the cover to Dark Souls : Prepare to Die
Gone Home is only there because journos can't stop jacking off over it. I bet 90% of its article is going to be about how bad Gamergate is.
Similarly, Fortnite is only there because its popular with the masses and is meme / twitch cancer. Which I guess counts as defining, just as the Black Death defined the middle ages.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Spelunky, The Walking Dead, Broken Age, Dark Souls, Destiny, Minecraft, GTAV, Breath of the Wild, Amnesia, Gone Home, Fortnite and Dota 2.

For "Broken Age" I guess they actually meant "the kickstarter craze of 2012", since the actual game was a self-indulgent display of mediocrity that everyone forgot a week later. And as much as I hate Bethesda, Skyrim was much more relevant than GTA V.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Spelunky, The Walking Dead, Broken Age, Dark Souls, Destiny, Minecraft, GTAV, Breath of the Wild, Amnesia, Gone Home, Fortnite and Dota 2.

For "Broken Age" I guess they actually meant "the kickstarter craze of 2012", since the actual game was a self-indulgent display of mediocrity that everyone forgot a week later. And as much as I hate Bethesda, Skyrim was much more relevant than GTA V.

Skyrim sold better than anyone could imagine and is one of the reasons why every game is an open-world RPG these days. GTA 5 only contribution was that it was the world's greatest money printer with it's online service.

Spielunky: brought back the roguelike and proved how successful indies could be
TWE: the whole interactive movie "game" and it's fall
Dark Souls: the return of challenging games
Destiny: essentially started the Loot MMO and Games as a service
Minecraft: streamer culture and brought back the sandbox genre
Breath of the Wild : no idea other than it made Nintendo big again with its a success on the switch
Amnesia: indie Horror games, should have picked Slender Man?
Gone Home: Walking Sim, should have picked Firewatch
Fortnite: Battle Royale craze
DOTA2: weren't mobas already popular before 2010?.

I didn't make this list I just tried to explain why the mainstream believes these games to be the most relevant,

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
Dark Souls: invented 3rd person action RPG, "it's like dark souls" shit
Destiny: literally a dumbed down Borderlands, putting "lowest common denominator" back into games
Minecraft: game 10 years in development that added less content in those 10 years than Terraria did in one major update, while being 3 times as expensive and never going on sale; preying on autistic children
Breath of the Wild: only good game on this list, doing what games should be about
Fortnite: had nothing to do with causing "battle royale craze", came in late and just got lucky
DOTA2: same as above

It's shit.

ultimanecat

Arcane
The whole point of these lists is to be deliberately shitty, because it causes people to engage with it and talk about it which translates to views/clicks/free advertising.

Anybody could come up with a somewhat justifiable list of influential games just by browsing Wikipedia and sales data, but it takes a slapdick games journalist with no self-respect to churn out a list that is half nonsensical.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
"Brutal AI"

The AI in Thief was a joke.

I've said this before, but obviously it bears repeating: The AI in Thief (1998) was really good for its time, but that was 20 years ago. People have both had time to study how the Thief AI works, and make better AI since then... though I'll admit I'm still waiting on the latter part, especially when one considers how much time has passed.

Tehdagah

Arcane
"Brutal AI"

I've said this before, but obviously it bears repeating: The AI in Thief (1998) was really good for its time, but that was 20 years ago. People have both had time to study how the Thief AI works, and make better AI since then... though I'll admit I'm still waiting on the latter part, especially when one considers how much time has passed.
The guards were already dumb in 1998.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
"Brutal AI"

The guards in all stealth games I've played were dumb as fuck. The games would be unplayable otherwise.

lefthandblack

Arcane
"Brutal AI"

The guards in all stealth games I've played were dumb as fuck. The games would be unplayable otherwise.

Ambush is murder and murder is fun. The stealth in thief is preferable but not mandatory. I remember plenty of levels where I didn't have enough broadheads to kill everyone and had to resort to the sword, it was dangerous but doable. Blackjacking and dumping in an environmental hazard was also fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom