Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - now available on PC

Sentinel

Arcane
It's not an RPG though, is it. Branching questlines and choices in "quests" are not a staple of Action games released by Rockstar. But at the very least in RDR2 some quests offer you the choice of proceeding with Stealth or guns blazing (literally; you talk to your companions and select either "do it quietly" or "let's get them"), or whether you want to kill or spare someone etc. You are also presented with the option to help or not quite a few people/factions during the game's story.

Granted, this doesn't affect much in the long run, other than adding to or detracting from your "Honor" rating, but even this Honor rating that affects which ending you receive is above and beyond what Rockstar has done in the past.
There's also some "hidden choices". In a mission where you have to rescue Micah early on, the game tells you to do X and Y, but you can actually go two alternate paths. You can either
simply plant dynamite on the brick wall, right next to the window and blow it the fuck up, or you can go back inside the sheriff's office, kill all 3 cops inside, grab the keys from the sheriff and simply open the cell and waltz outta there
too bad that the game will just say "go back on rails or it'll be over for you" in 99% of other cases if you try to do something inventive.
Thankfully it doesn't pretend to be a role playing game (TM) so it's okay by me. Any additional paths in main mission are seen as a bonus, not as a standard they failed to meet.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Most open world games have been "choose your linear quest marker chain" for many years now. I would never expect anything else from this.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
What a disaster of a port.

Is this game even that good? I tried both GTA 4 & 5 and they were complete garbage, but it seems the Codex approves of this thing, and i'm not sure why. Did Rockstar learn how to do good writing and quest design all of a sudden? The GTA formula always seemed pretty shallow to me anyway, so you can't tell me it's just the gameplay.

Chaosdwarft

Learned
Patron
So will I be able to run this game with my GTX970 or is it time I get a new graphics card?

My "graphics whore" friend keeps telling me I should upgrade. I have had my graphics card for now 5 years, and I am still very happy with it. I just play in 1080p resolution.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Most open world games have been "choose your linear quest marker chain" for many years now. I would never expect anything else from this.

Uh, Breath of the Wild, Kingdom Come: Deliverance (on hardcore mode), and ELEX would like a word with you.

It's mostly the shitty ones that have that (e.g. Ubisoft games)

Is this game even that good? I tried both GTA 4 & 5 and they were complete garbage

Depends what aspects of GTA 5 you found to be garbage. But the writing and most of the characters are fine. Regarding the game in general, I’d say the Witcher 3 is the best comparison in most respects.

The port is also ok, I’m playing with medium/high with ultra textures and some of the most demanding settings like water physics down and it’s fluent. Not 60 FPS but almost no game is for me.

Regarding the game in general, I’d say the Witcher 3 is the best comparison in most respects.

Yeah, definitely agree. RDR2 takes over from Witcher 3 as the most impressive game in terms of technology, and is similar in that both emphasize storytelling and set pieces over gameplay.

The differences are, RDR2 has better exploration by far (less obvious map markers, more open terrain), but Witcher 3 has better combat and writing.

Ivan

Arcane
black-belle-gunslinger-mission-rdr2-red-dead-redemption.jpg

:shredder:

Mortmal

Arcane
So will I be able to run this game with my GTX970 or is it time I get a new graphics card?

My "graphics whore" friend keeps telling me I should upgrade. I have had my graphics card for now 5 years, and I am still very happy with it. I just play in 1080p resolution.

Cheers!
It should be enough since it works on my 380, steady 30-60 fps with most stuff on medium and some on ultra , on 1080p of course. But as i said its probably not much better than running it on consoles. I am tempted to go for a ryzen 3700 and some radeon 5700 next .

Mortmal

Arcane

Is this game even that good? I tried both GTA 4 & 5 and they were complete garbage, but it seems the Codex approves of this thing, and i'm not sure why. Did Rockstar learn how to do good writing and quest design all of a sudden? The GTA formula always seemed pretty shallow to me anyway, so you can't tell me it's just the gameplay.
Port is shit yes, but game is really that good, if you liked GTA5 you will most likely like it, its same spirit.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, definitely agree. RDR2 takes over from Witcher 3 as the most impressive game in terms of technology, and is similar in that both emphasize storytelling and set pieces over gameplay.

The differences are, RDR2 has better exploration by far (less obvious map markers, more open terrain), but Witcher 3 has better combat and writing.

I'd say RDR1 and 2 are better by far in all of those, but opinions right?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected

funny video, made me chuckle when he transformed into the giant crocodile and started rampaging in town. Wolf ordering a beer at the bar also made me smile.

I gotta say this may be the most impressive RDR2 video yet; yes, the lighting, the graphics, etc... but It is really impressive how well-detailed every single character and animal model in the game is and how incredibly well they're all animated. It's a staggering amount of work and attention to detail.

Is it bad to hope CP2077 will be optimized to run on decent machines?

Dude, haven't you seen the leaks? Or even the last official footage? CP 2077 graphics got hit with the console downgrade hard. It looks like shit with shitty textures and everything is low-rez. It will probably run on a toaster when it comes out.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Uh, Breath of the Wild, Kingdom Come: Deliverance (on hardcore mode), and ELEX would like a word with you.

Holy shit, it's almost like I said "most" and a few examples don't contradict me! It's also almost like Zelda is a cool outlier, and the other two are Eurojank RPGs and not insanely mainstream open world action games!

"Eurojank" is a stupid invention by gaming media that has no reflection on reality. For instance, if you think KCD combat is janky because it's not super smooth, guess what, real life combat looks a lot more like KCD than something more smooth and gamey. And while ELEX might not have the greatest combat system, it's still way better than say Skyrim, which for some reason never gets called janky.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
This game does not respect my time. I'm spending more time in menus, holding buttons, and watching animations than playing. I hope the rest of the game lets Arthur leave the gang and its just him following his own leads, because I don't like any of them or the big fucking anchor they represent.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm not seeing anything in the way the game looks that even remotely justifies this abominable performance.

lighting is incredible, as is the draw distance. I'm not surprised

Lighting is not even raytrasced, and the performance hit is actually worse than raytracing.

60 FPS, on 1080p, on a fucking 2080ti.

Nothing in this game justifies that. Nothing. It's obvious there's no optimization to this port whatsoever. I vaguely remember the GTA 4 port was also similarly shit, but i don't remember anyone acting as if that was normal or expected.

I don't even know why they even bothered porting this to PC if they had no intention to optimize it. I said that as a joke but i gotta wonder if they didn't actually emulate certain things in the game just because they were too lazy to re-code it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
guise stop complaining about performance next week it comes out on Stadia you can play in 4K ultra settings 120 FPS stop being grouches and embrace the future ok

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Is that a reshaded Outer Worlds?
"The game fits my pussy just perfect."
The game doesn't let me run outside of camp either. It does have its strengths, like one being the only cowboy game for pc, which is only really held back by no optimizing, a story, diversity quota, and hopefully a UI modders can fix.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom