Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Gothic 3.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I seem to remember trying to hit enemies in melee without the Community Patch and laughing out loud when my weapons were so bugged they couldn't land blows on any enemy. It's a shame it was so rough, because some elements of PB world design and atmosphere shone through at times.
IgnorantDarlingAfricanclawedfrog-max-1mb.gif
Yes,the release version was an epic thing in it self. It was real slide show at times. Still the game was worth playing even in that state.

Codex Year of the Donut
Decided to attack the King just to see what would happen and the result was pure Piranha Bytes.
The guards did nothing, king ran up and hit me, then the guards attacked the king.
:lol:

Codex Year of the Donut
I assume it was an addition by one of the community mods/content patches, but one thing I like to see in games is that NPCs 'continue' in some way after they're done interacting with you rather than just standing around forever/disappearing.
e.g., after helping free a slave during a quest a few hours later I ran into him again at a small camp with some merchants. As the guy was a former star arena fighter, I'd assume the story is that he's now a merchant's guard.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I was wrong about Alternative Ballancing. In fact, the mod solve most problems with Gothic. For eg, instead of Fire Rain being a relative easy spell to obtain and costs 90 mana, it costs now 300 mana. They added requirement for certain spells, eg, to be able to summon demon, you need to be able to summon skeletons, to be able to summon skeletons, you need to be able to be able to cause terror. To be able to cast terror, you need to have weaken. The water/dark/fire mage who increases your damage by a ludicrous amount, not is much harder to obtain, but as compensation, mana regen is a little easyer.

I was just spamming fire rain and liberating cities in few minutes on my old pure mage. Other underwelming spells like summon flamming sword, now are easier to obtain, so they are best as starting spells.

The melee combat due improved IA is much better. The combat is no longer who stunlocks first.

Codex Year of the Donut
Some of the improvements are good, some not so much. I never really felt like I was getting stronger with alternative balancing enabled.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Some of the improvements are good, some not so much. I never really felt like I was getting stronger with alternative balancing enabled.

You are getting stronger, but you will only learn Fire Rain and end game spells on end game. I still not recommend alternative balancing for novices

I can't imagine the horrors which make a person play Gothic 3.

Gothic 3 has his merits. Magefags on D2 had no choice but to join in the monastery(and needs to play 15 hours on melee until you can finally cast two spells per rest, after it, they are restricted to the most boring type of mages. IMO water magic > dark magic > fire magic) and is very hard to play D2 as a mage. D3 by other hands is extremely easy. Part because you can learn lightning bolt in the first hour and partly because you can get easily high DPS spells like Fire Rain who was restricted to end game on D2 and part because the IA is awful. Enemies who can hit you with a crossbow simple walk into your hurricane/fire rain/etc and ignore you to kill your summons.

The greatest problem of G3 is hte lack of time to finish the game. But Gothic 3 still much better than Gothic 4, Risen 2 and tons of newer games. Unless you are a magefag(like myself), there are no reason to play G3 over G2. G2 has much better world building, story building, quests and melee combat. Is only inferior in magical combat and archery

Last edited:

overly excitable young man

Walking through the beautiful world and listening to the awesome soundtrack is great, i can understand that.
Everything else is just pretty bad.
Gothic 3 is very good; it's just a terrible game.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Gothic 3 is worse than Gothic 2 but far superior to Gothic 4.

I just play more G3 due my magefag bias.

People saying that with alternative ballancing mage is hard, no is not. If you focus in only one school ( my case - water magic), you have enough points to level up easily. Compared to Gothic 2, mage gameplay even with the alternative balancing still a cakewalk

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Last edited by a moderator:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Risen 2 is a good game. Not great, but good.
Forsaken Gods is awful. They basically took gothic 3 and made a shovelware game from its carcass.

I enjoyed more Gothic 3 than G2/1 and enjoyed more Risen 3 over Risen 1 but there are a reason for that. My mage bias. If on Gothic 3 i had to play for 15 hours before could cast two spells per rest and is restricted to be a fire magician, the most boring ones, i would love more Gothic 2 over 3... At moment i will not have that much time to play but will re install gothic 2 and will try again with the mod who add the possibility to be a Dark Magicain - Xardas apprendice(Returning 2) and to join the circle of water. Not only the ring of water. Modders can't also make the world react to your choices, eg, fire magicians asking where you learned magic and being much more suspicions of you, something that the original developers could do...

ps : on risen 3 i just cheated to get magic earli on. No way that i would play with the ballet combat system of risen 3. At least risen 1 had a solid melee combat, not awful like you click to attack and then after 3 seconds of your cahracter dancing, he finally strikes.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

I explained why.

Things that G3 is better than G2

• Mage gameplay
  • Archery gameplay
  • World size and location variety(tundras, forests and deserts)
Things that G2 did better than G3

• Action and consequences
  • Less power creep
  • Worldbuilding
  • Quest design
  • Melee Combat
  • Story
  • Difficulty and difficulty curve
Unless you value mage gameplay or archer gameplay SOO much over everything else, you will enjoy more gothic 2. But even in Magic gameplay of Gothic 3, some things i can't understand. Who had the """genial"""" idea of picking fire rain, a circle 6 rune spell of Gothic 2 and making it a mid tier spell while hurricane(similar frost spell) require that you are in end game??? And who programmed this awful IA where enemies walk into the fire rain instead of taking distance and using crossbows vs you???

Other huge flaw of G3. Why orcs are so weak? I mean, you can say that the works send to capture a small village after Xardas destroyed rune magic will not be Elite Orcs, but IMO late game orcs needs to be far more deadly.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Why Gothic is not popular outside of central/eastern Europe?

Is because consoles are too popular on US/Japan? I can't find some mods on English, some mods has German and Russian language support but not English. Maybe because most European gamers grew up playing on microcomputers (ZX Spectrum, Amiga and so on), Gothic/Gothic 2/Gothic 3 are amazing, and i'd rather replay them than Dragon Age or Mass Effect. Unfortunately, my PC barely runs G1...

Codex Year of the Donut
Why Gothic is not popular outside of central/eastern Europe?

Is because consoles are too popular on US/Japan? I can't find some mods on English, some mods has German and Russian language support but not English. Maybe because most European gamers grew up playing on microcomputers (ZX Spectrum, Amiga and so on), Gothic/Gothic 2/Gothic 3 are amazing, and i'd rather replay them than Dragon Age or Mass Effect. Unfortunately, my PC barely runs G1...
Germans hate speaking English because of their inherent racial autism ergo the game has a near-zero popularity with English speakers because word of mouth never spread.
Some of the unofficial patches for Gothic 3 are still in German, I had to use google translate to figure out what the options meant. Goodluck trying to make a mod/contribute to a mod for any PB game, nobody will ever speak English.
Compare it to people from other countries: I spent two years in university learning Swedish — I've never been able to actually use it. Every Swede speaks perfect English and never wants to engage in a discussion with foreigners using Swedish because they want to practice their (already perfect) English.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom