Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amiga, Commodore and creativity

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I busted my balls when I was 9 years old trying to beat Bruce Lee on the PC... but there was one screen (the third-to-last screen) that I just couldn't get past at all, the traps moved too fast.

Fast forward to just a couple of years ago and while reading up on it I realize why I couldn't beat the game - I was running it on a 286 computer, and the game wasn't optimized for a consistent internal speed - it ran too fast!

Luzur

Good Sir
Well, this is really good - have been playing this tonight. The Bruce Lee Duology - Return to Fury+ for the C64 is and claims to be a continuation of Bruce Lee for the C64 - so far its perfect. The game was updated today with a patch fix so if this is redundant, sorry.

However, Bruce Lee is such a great C64 game, worth checking out. And... it's free.

RPFHOx.png

XdsbuR.png

I have it on 5,25 disc somewhere in the piles, gotta dig it up someday, been like 27 years or so now since last time

Mortmal

Arcane
Well, this is really good - have been playing this tonight. The Bruce Lee Duology - Return to Fury+ for the C64 is and claims to be a continuation of Bruce Lee for the C64 - so far its perfect. The game was updated today with a patch fix so if this is redundant, sorry.

However, Bruce Lee is such a great C64 game, worth checking out. And... it's free.

RPFHOx.png

XdsbuR.png

I have it on 5,25 disc somewhere in the piles, gotta dig it up someday, been like 27 years or so now since last time
Would be worth it to try them , see if the data is still readable.

Luzur

Good Sir

RPFHOx.png

XdsbuR.png

Would be worth it to try them , see if the data is still readable.

depends on how you store them. in some cold, damp attic, sure they will degrade, but they hold up better if stored in room temperature storage, most of my discs still works just fine.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I busted my balls when I was 9 years old trying to beat Bruce Lee on the PC... but there was one screen (the third-to-last screen) that I just couldn't get past at all, the traps moved too fast.

Fast forward to just a couple of years ago and while reading up on it I realize why I couldn't beat the game - I was running it on a 286 computer, and the game wasn't optimized for a consistent internal speed - it ran too fast!
Yeah - I didn't even know there was a 386 port until last year and someone posted the updated i386 version. I had the same experience with PowerMonger and Populous - little jerks running all over the place. Both games were perfect on the Amiga.

I have it on disk also but play everything on C64 Forever - which does a really good job. While it would be nice to fish out the working C128 and drives, just can't devote the desk space.

Luzur

Good Sir
I have it on disk also but play everything on C64 Forever - which does a really good job. While it would be nice to fish out the working C128 and drives, just can't devote the desk space.

Brah, there is no such thing as "cant devote deskspace", i bet its more like "i cant be assed to get off my ass and make some deskspace to my only real friend i ever had."

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Brah, there is no such thing as "cant devote deskspace", i bet its more like "i cant be assed to get off my ass and make some deskspace to my only real friend i ever had."
Eh, I have a shit ton of floppies that I bought used for the C64 as well as a ton of LoadStar disks with the latest and greatest games and C64 news from 1985 - I guess I could fire up the C128 and floppy. You are a little too accurate about the real friend...

Luzur

Good Sir

Luzur

Good Sir

Retrofractics did a video about the above machination, but im not too fond of him starting to involve his damn wife into every video, thats not why i watch his channel. :(

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

Retrofractics did a video about the above machination, but im not too fond of him starting to involve his damn wife into every video, thats not why i watch his channel. :(

And that other woman hasn't shown up since the wife started appear more in the videos...

Luzur

Good Sir

Releasing on 12th December, RetroGames Ltd's reinvention of the classic Commodore 64 Mirco Computer boasts 64 Pre-Installed games, and the ability to code you in C64 or Vic-20 Modes. With a flashy Microswitch Joystick and the option to add new games via USB, could this be the perfect system for any long term C64 Fan?

"The C64 is back, this time full-sized with a working keyboard for the dedicated retro home-computer fan. Featuring three switchable modes – C64, VIC 20, and Games Carousel. Connect to any modern TV via HDMI for crisp 720p HD visuals, at 60 Hz or 50 Hz. An updated joystick, now featuring micro switches, companions the hardware making the included games even more fun than ever. The Games Carousel has 64 pre-installed games including classics such as California Games, Paradroid and Boulder Dash, with new additions like Attack of the Mutant Camels, Hover Bovver, Iridis Alpha, and Gridrunner. Topped off with the recently released shoot ’em up Galencia and text adventure Planet of Death to let you relive the glory days of true keyboard gaming! Plus, THEC64® allows you to load and save your own files and games via USB stick (including multi-disk titles) and program in C64 or VIC 20 BASIC." - RetroGames Ltd. Product Description.

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
Speaking of commodore,does anybody know what is the best way to minimize loading?
Ram expansion,fast loader,firmware replacements?
No matter what i do i seem to be getting worse results then using just standard vice warp feature,there has to be a better way.

Luzur

Good Sir
Speaking of commodore,does anybody know what is the best way to minimize loading?
Ram expansion,fast loader,firmware replacements?
No matter what i do i seem to be getting worse results then using just standard vice warp feature,there has to be a better way.

Epyx Fastload, or use turbotapes, if you mean on C64, Amiga the best way are using a HD to load games/programs from.

Luzur

Good Sir

I made this video in 1991 for a high school project as I worked at Commodore Canada in the service and tech support departments part time. The follow up towards the end is inside Computer Variables Inc. which was one Toronto's most popular Commodore dealers at the time. I also worked there part time. The editing was done linear tape to tape and If I recall correctly I used an Amiga Genlock for the titling. the original video got taped over for a bout 1 min near the beginning. The girl in the clip was my high school girlfriend ;) and she didn't look very happy for some reason... At the very end there is a 2 second clip of Commander Riker in TNG... Hey, tapes were expensive back then.. We recorded over stuff all the time! Here is a street view link of the Commodore Canada building today: https://goo.gl/maps/64SuI

alot of these videos popping up

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I was just thinking this morning about that finnish guy (?) who does these modern C64 Shinobi/metrovania type games and how polished they are, and his main gaming philosophy: "Fight the game enemies, not the interface!" The games themselves are just so slick and polished and it's mind blowing it's just one guy, and that he's still doing them. What a wonderful community, still very active, still producing decent things like that recent Bruce Lee sequel. I have Retroarch set up with C64 emulation and it looks glorious with EasyMode CRT and decent custom color palettes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom