Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I appreciate graphics in RPGs

• I have a problem with this

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • I don't have a problem with this

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Poll choice... (kingcomrade)

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Nice graphics is fine, as long as it doesn't slow down the gameplay and add years of loading screens.

I believe new technologies should save us time, not waste it.

Besides that, i'm ok with nice 2D graphics.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, graphics can be nice.

WhQ8asT.jpg
This is cool until you meet an NPC and can't read a word of what he's saying because the text is too small.

...oh wait, that's actually better.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I like graphics but I always take gameplay first. Witcher 3 was beautiful, like playing in an oil painting. But I was so bored by the gameplay. KOTC looks really basic but I gladly completed it because the gameplay was good.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I absolutely appreciate visual design. "Graphics" I don't know. It's nice to have things like crisper resolutions, better textures and further draw distance, but most other graphical improvements the last decade or so have been bullshit particle/processing effects that eat up PC resources without actually looking much better. Even something as old as Oblivion really only looks bad today because of shitty face design and Bethesda's clunky animations. The actual 3D graphics capability of that era is perfectly fine for me, even today.

"""Gnomes"""

Barely Literate
Combatfaggotry>LARPfaggotry>Storyfaggotry>>Graficsfaggotry

If you want to please the eyes, look at Neoclassical paintings

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Eh - I subscribe to the C64 v. Amiga world of graphics in RPGs. See if this makes sense: C64 had arguably some of the greatest RPGs ever made, while the Amiga - which had 100x the memory, graphics, and sound - it had only a few notable RPGs. The RPGs on the Amiga weren't great because of the graphics, even though the Amiga could do a lot. It is when folks used the power of the Amiga to innovate that the games superseded the C64.

I'm trying to say a good game is a good game. The seed of a game has to be good - and all the graphics in the world can't make up for garbage. If a game has that seed - while people may bitch about graphics that distract from game-play, folks will still play a game with strong mechanics but poor graphics. A game can have the best graphics but without the gameplay seed - graphics can't save the game.

Think of a good CRPG as a delicious steak, made well done so it's grey all the way through. I know what you are saying - Perfect! Now graphics are the bread on that steak sandwich. You could use some kind of crappy white bread or a fancy pretzel bun smothered in ketchup - a meal fit for a king! The bun enhances the main course there - but it's not the meal itself. I feel the same with RPGs.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
There's nothing wrong with you appreciating graphics, just like there is nothing wrong with you appreciating story in a game. That's just your opinion. However, if you attempt to posit that graphics or story are more important in video games as an element as opposed to gameplay, it becomes perpetuating a misinformed falsehood based on inherent casual tendencies that don't realize every element in an entertainment medium with a unique trait that defines it apart from other entertainment mediums are there simply to serve as vehicles to support that unique primary trait.

I.E. This is a low effort shitpost thread made to incite heated replies.

LilWololoMane

Novice
I have a lot of love for the pre-rendered backgrounds of the Infinity Engine games. It's absolutely beautiful stuff, with the variety of hues and architecture, and manages to make a ton of areas feel individualized in a way traditional tile maps just don't. You all think pre-rendered backgrounds think should come back?

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gothic 2 has the best graphics:rpgcodex:

gothic2-2010-12-26-17-46-17-57.jpg

One thing i like about the 90s/early 2000s graphics is that the diffuse-only approach gives a painted/drawn feel even in games that tried to be more realistic (since most of their textures were painted) and especially during mid-90s the limited palettes and low resolutions forced artists to use many primary/bright colors (so they can have distinguishable shades for lighting) and exaggerated proportions that looked as if they came out of action comics (i remember reading a book by Paul Steed - Quake 2 and 3 modeller - where he says something like: in games you want to use the ideal proportions used in comics instead of the realistic proportions you'd use for a painting).

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
SNES-quality graphics for 2D and Gothic graphics for 3D is all I need.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How a game looks and feels to play, not just in regards to the tech, but in terms of art direction, UI, character movement, et cetera, goes hand-in-hand with how good the story and the combat of an RPG is when it comes to determining quality. How a game feels when you play it directly influences how good the combat will be, and part of what makes a story so good is the medium in which the story is told.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom