Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie VAPORUM - Steampunk Dungeon Crawler

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Checked both lists, the only game on my Steam list that has Redshell is some old bundle fodder game I haven't touched in a couple of years.

I bought Vaporum via GOG though, and I'm curious to know if the SDK has found its way over there as well.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If a new user buys and installs a game via one of these campaigns, the RedShell SDK embedded in the game pings back the publishers about the source of the new install.

But in several recent online discussions, users are complaining that besides logging the source of a new game install, the app also creates fingerprints for each gamer, with information about their online personas and gaming rigs.

Yeah, that's pretty fucking bad.

Sykar

Arcane
Title name reminds me of:

images

:happytrollboy:

Zajoman

Fatbot Games
Developer
EDIT: Added a more comprehensive answer.

Hey, guys!

My name is Matej Zajacik, developer of Vaporum.

Regarding the use of RedShell in the game... We would like to assure you that Redshell was disabled before GDPR came to effect. The presence of the DLL file in the game directory was simply a mistake on our part that we fixed in the meantime -- we removed the whole thing (any leftover files) completely in Patch #10.

We formerly used RedShell ONLY to track the effectiveness of a single campaign on Reddit and Facebook to see where the greatest concentration of our audience and fans was, so we could focus our community activities in a meaningful way. We are a very small team with a very small budget and we don't have enough resources for some large-scale advertising campaigns, so this was just an experiment on our part.

Since then, we hadn't run a single campaign and the plug-in was actually disabled in code, in accordance with GDPR. We simply never initialized it when the game was starting up, so yes, the DLL was there, but it wasn't doing a thing.

Even in games where RedShell is still enabled, its only task is to match an ad link click and the actual purchase on Steam, GOG, or wherever. So, for instance, when you see an ad on Facebook and you click it, a generated string is sent to RedShell servers. The link most likely points you to a store page, and when you actually buy the game and run it for the first time, the game tells the plug-in to see if the same generated string was ever put onto their servers. If yes, the devs have a match and they know that, "Okay, cool, so this ad works!" or if there are very few matches, it doesn't, and so they know they need to improve the ad (or, well, the game). RedShell, to my knowledge, doesn't collect any other data other than that. At least there's no way we could send any other data to them.

Thank you!

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://steamcommunity.com/games/629690/announcements/detail/1714068264257983227

Patch #11 (30-07-2018) -- Mac Available Now!

adf608cfec929e53e209d25a16813cfbd555eeb1.png

Hey guys, we have a big update for you today!

Vaporum is now available on Mac! We have also added a few game tips to clarify some game mechanics and fixed quite a few bugs.

Patch Notes:
  • Added Mac support.
  • Added a few game tips to clarify some mechanics & interactions. This is also due to the upcoming controller support.
  • Added a "Toggle HUD" button (default: F4). You can use this to make HUD-less screenshots.
  • Fixed issues in Slovak, Japanese, and Chinese localization.
  • Fixed: While you're in the process of dying and a game tip shows up, the game crashes.
  • Fixed item container size.
  • Fixed tooltips for Fumium Capacitor, Combat Fuse, Tech Fuse, Toughness Fuse, and Cicruit Upgrade.
  • Fixed other minor bugs.

Enjoy! :)

Also a bit about their future game(s): https://steamcommunity.com/app/629690/discussions/0/3160848559778575822/

Hey guys! :)

Right now - we are concentrating mostly on the console ports of Vaporum - but I can give you some good news - we are currently developing a somewhat of a prequel to Vaporum. It will feature a different character and different locations in the tower of Arx Vaporum.

We have also managed to get the actor Felicia Day interested in voicing the main character and we are very excited about this! We came to the idea while watching her stream Vaporum on her twitch and she actually finished the game! We really recommend to watch her videos :).

and in the furture Fatbot must work on Eye Of The Beholder Remaster
steamhappy

Well, I doubt this endeavour will go past the homage video we did ... :'(.

The homage: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...eholder-homage-fatbot-games-fan-video.121207/

How long is the development cycle for the new prequel do you think? What is the anticipated release date?

Well, we are currently fighting on a couple of fronts at once. The next game - the prequel - is just one of them. So we are not able to give a clear viewpoint on the release date yet. As soon as we are more in the celar about this - we MIGHT make this info public ;).

What I can say right now, that the charming Felicia Day has expressed interest in voicing the main character for the prequel.

You guys should create a Wizardry style dungeon crawler with turn based combat and more party members.

Well, yes, that is one of our concepts that we are thinking about. Right now is the prequel for Vaporum in the making ;). We'll see after that.

For the prequel, I guess you are still thinking of having one character under player control?

For this game yes. But we are much more inclined now to use the party for our future games. But it depends on a couple of factors.

In my opinion - a party is much more suited for an old school inspired game in a fantasy setting. People simply expect it to work that way.

But for a different setting, be it horror for example - one character intensifies the effect of stress in my opinion.

Some ideas or opinions? :) Let's talk guys!

Sacibengala

Prophet
The sequel will be guaranteed with the 2 copies they will sell on consoles. Maybe 3, because making the prequel with a powerful woman dubbed by a famous voice actress will sell 50% more.

DemonKing

Arcane
I'd play a prequel game - this was probably my second favourite blobber to come out in the CRPG incline after Grimrock. Playing Felicia Day is not high on my list of priorities but it doesn't put me off either.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://steamcommunity.com/games/629690/announcements/detail/3370273013704988453

Vaporum 1-Year Anniversary

37e3cf4a71f5e1e69abf2e751753d2fa6bf33dfa.png

TLDR:
  • Vaporum has been out for a year!
  • -40% week-long sale (starting today at 19:00 CET) on Steam and Humble Store.
  • We’re releasing an early prototype of Vaporum from late 2014 (Windows only). Download here!
  • We’re working on a prequel to Vaporum!
  • Thank you all for the support!
One Year of Vaporum
Time flies. It’s been a year since we launched the debut game of our small studio — Vaporum. We’ve managed to do quite a lot during this time. The game has won several awards: Best Graphics at Game Access 2017, Best Game Design and Best Debut at Slovak Game of the Year 2017.

It’s doing good in terms of ratings, with 90% on Steam, 4.5/5 on GOG, and 78 points on Metacritics. It’s been localized into 11 languages and ported to both Linux and Mac. And currently, we’re working on ports for Xbox One, PS4, and Switch.

We’ve released 12 updates, including the extensive Accessibility Update, which was our attempt to make the game a lot more accessible to people with disabilities. One of the major parts of the update was the Stop Time Mode, mostly aimed at players who found the combat and the timed puzzles too hectic, or outright impossible due to a physical disability.

In another big update, we enhanced the RPG system with a new exo-rig and three new circuits. This greatly increased the number of possible combinations of rigs and circuits, which allowed our players to replay the game with fresh ideas on how to build the character.

We’re quite proud of the game and we’re very happy players receive it so well. It’s a great feeling of satisfaction when the game is well received by the people for whom you’re making it. The journey to releasing Vaporum was not easy, and that’s why this anniversary is not only a celebration of the release, but also the path to it.

Sale & Prototype
On this occasion, we decided to run a -40% week-long sale (starting today at 19:00 CET) on Steam and Humble Store, and also release an early game prototype that we used in our search for funding for full development. The prototype represents a single level, showing our rough vision of how the game could work, what types of gameplay situations the player was to experience, and the general atmosphere.

Download here!

The prototype also served to see if the mechanics the game was built on worked or not. A small group of about 8 friends and relatives, quite spread all across the spectrum of gaming genres, focus-tested the game and gave us lots of invaluable feedback on things that weren’t working, but also gave us a signal that the game had good potential.

Of course, the prototype is buggy and rough around the edges, and should be taken with a grain of salt. Multiple systems are provisional (RPG, AI, etc…), implemented only up to a state of being able to present our vision. Therefore, we don’t guarantee anything; it very well may not even run on your machine. It’s not a full game or a demo.

Please take the prototype as is. It’s just a curiosity from the history of development of Vaporum, for you, the fans.

Next Game
It’s you, our players and fans who we make games for. We’d like to thank all of you for all the support you’ve given us.

We’d also like to announce that we’re working on a game that will bring you back into the depths of Arx Vaporum, this time with a different protagonist, new levels and toys to play with, and a few new nasty enemies. ;)

PS: Feel free to tell us what you think about Vaporum, either by writing a review on Steamor GOG, joining our Discord server, or by following us on Twitter or Facebook.

Last edited by a moderator:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
so i played for the first 2 level. it's pretty fun. isn't much a fan of real time combat, but it isn't terrible. the dungeon itself is pretty fun so far, even though the puzzles are piss easy (but i heard it got VERY real later). the lore is interesting so far, and i want to know what happened. cool itemization so far. i got a sweet hammer from secret door. definitely digging it so far.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
halfway trough. it's enjoyable so far yeah, not too much fan of the real time combat. i love exploring and the secrets are pretty cool, the story is okay and the dungeon itself is pretty fun.

anyway grimrock got bigger dungeon right? can't wait to play it too.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah, Grimrock got a bigger dungeon. Just remember that the UI isn't that great in the first Grimrock, but it improves in the second one... which is about twice as large as Grimrock 1 BTW.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Can you do the silly rt blobber dance in this game or is it somehow prevented?
Sometimes you can, but it's often prevented by level design and/or enemy AoE attacks. There's also the fact that you mostly go up against groups of enemies. Staying mobile is very important, though, at least if you're not going with the heavy rig.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom