Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Corporations - no, but people working for them - yes.

They try and give a minor amount of grey to The Board (like they did Caesar's Legion) by introducing a problem that maybe sorta justifies their actions near the end. However it still leads to a pretty "evil" ending. There is definitely a lot of grey in aggressively fighting The Board though, because you're hurting a lot of "little people" who aren't evil. It's a relatively good encapsulation of the issues with revolution/"terrorism" as a way to fight authoritarian governments.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

They try and give a minor amount of grey to The Board (like they did Caesar's Legion) by introducing a problem that maybe sorta justifies their actions near the end. However it still leads to a pretty "evil" ending. There is definitely a lot of grey in aggressively fighting The Board though, because you're hurting a lot of "little people" who aren't evil. It's a relatively good encapsulation of the issues with revolution/"terrorism" as a way to fight authoritarian governments.
the fuck i care about bureaucrats,i just killed everything that i didn't liked lol...like everyone in byzantium city. The little people could suck on my nuts lol,get strong or die from starvation faggots :obviously:! Shame i couldn't kill the retarded scientist too!

Vatnik Wumao

the fuck i care about bureaucrats,i just killed everything that i didn't liked lol...like everyone in byzantium city. The little people could suck on my nuts lol,get strong or die from starvation faggots :obviously:! Shame i couldn't kill the retarded scientist too!
Praotec would be proud.
krum-1000x500.jpg

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I got bored and decided to do a video on Supernova run. It's like a quasi-Speedrun to see how the game reacts to 'Pro-Board' actions.
Not much to say on Edgewater conflict. Yeah you should just get past it pretty quickly, but in Supernova companions permanently dies so the Geothermal Plant can get dicey if you don't have a good weapon.

Finish the Geothermal plant and it gets easier from there. Groundsbreaker is basically non-combat EXP shower that pushes you 4-5 levels and pushes around 4000 bits to your wallet for clicking the right options. Ridiculous. In less than half an hour, we can head to Byzantium and enjoy a high-level hand-placed loot.

Ah, Byzantium home of the Level 21 hand-placed Plasma Rifle.
The Akande hit job is hilarious.
Tell the second hitman you want to listen to the victim first - she will offer a bribe.
Don't convince him to take it and tell him you want to let her live.
Now he will turn violent - kill him.
Intimidate the poor lady for 2000 bits.
Then pickpocket her for another 2000 bits.

There's reactivity to this:
If you do not let her talk, you cannot intimidate her to be paid off, and she only carries 2000 bits in her pocket.
But if you let her make that offer, the intimidate option will appear, netting you an easy 2000 bits.
Then you can pickpocket her for another 2000 bits.
Then kill her so Akande pays you well. :lol:
Once we stop laughing at the monitor, fast travel back to the Unreliable, switch to Parvati and Felix to listen to Felix's butthurt.
Akande is pleased and rewards you handsomely. Now she wants us to plant a tracking signal on Phineas' terminal - so it's off to his secret lab.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I got bored and decided to do a video on Supernova run. It's like a quasi-Speedrun to see how the game reacts to 'Pro-Board' actions.
Not much to say on Edgewater conflict. Yeah you should just get past it pretty quickly, but in Supernova companions permanently dies so the Geothermal Plant can get dicey if you don't have a good weapon.

My first run was a pro-Board one, with me being ruthlessly selfish. It had some fun moments like the one you describe, but overall I'd call it a meh playstyle. Playing the second time as a pirate style freedom fighter, it is VERY obvious that's how the game was designed to be played primarily.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

My first run was a pro-Board one, with me being ruthlessly selfish. It had some fun moments like the one you describe, but overall I'd call it a meh playstyle. Playing the second time as a pirate style freedom fighter, it is VERY obvious that's how the game was designed to be played primarily.

Its not like game is not establishing that good doctor is good and corps are bad in f... intro of the game Comrade, of course you can help the board but only if you one of those people whose only motivation is profit for any cost and psychopath with little personal honor to boot cause the first thing those (((scum))) order you to do is
to send you to assassinate someone whose only crime was to know too much about board dirty business and the next one is to kill the people who sheltered and aided you (sure they benefited from your actions too but its OK since they could send one of theirs to do it also and you were technically speaking outlaw then) when you needed it most.
On the other hand the game has some gray in those side quests and you can argue that its better to reform the board instead of allowing the bloody revolution with all its consequence and anarchy to happen sure.

Its all pointless cause game is decent shooter and exploration game but most of good things in story is buried under tones of SJW crap with every male here either incompetent, weak and/or evil and every female intended by game to be better in their job and sporting dyke and danger hair cut despite that that their own art style (which I do love btw) show them wearing long Victorian style haircut, I mostly now hunting for my unique gun and weapons pieces to be honest at the moment, with no interest in story now what a let-down not only after Fallouts, New Vegas but even Tyranny Comrade You cant even declare yourself the new Caesar here Comrade.

RK47

Patron

Yeah, the Board doesn't seem to exude competence and the pay is somewhat meager.
You'd think you'll get access to special Board Exclusive gear when Akande starts to like you better - but it's the same generic high tier gear and mods locked behind faction rep.
Although I love the fact that Vicar is very agreeable to whatever the Board is doing prior to his drug trip and his reaction to Byzantium is one of awe and wonder in contrast to Felix's 'FUCK CAPITALISM, BRO' whiney stance.

RK47

Patron
One question I wanna ask since some people praise the reactivity of TOW:

Does the game even acknowledge that you never killed anyone in the entire game?

LudensCogitet

Learned
Just finished the game.

After Monarch everything is clearly rushed to the extreme.

Sneak into the Earth minister guy's house and demand chemicals and within 4 dialogue options he is giving you his personal security key card to his office. Wah?

Always an incredibly easy way to dialogue your way through any situation in a few clicks if you've invested in the social skills.

Except for 4 guards at Phineas' lab that are always hostile and 2 robots on the Hope I literally walked through the whole game after reaching Byzantium.

MSI and people from the Groundbreaker helped me in the prison, but I was in disguise the whole time, so they were just shooting guards while I walked by with 0 agro.

With companion bonuses, perks, and a few different suits I basically had 100 science, persuade, hack, and lockpick. I disabled the last boss and killed the corporate woman with one shot.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
the first thing those (((scum))) order you to do is
to send you to assassinate someone whose only crime was to know too much about board dirty business and the next one is to kill the people who sheltered and aided you (sure they benefited from your actions too but its OK since they could send one of theirs to do it also and you were technically speaking outlaw then) when you needed it most.

To be fair they never asked me to do the second one (which made the main quest even shorter). They told me production was up and everything was peachy.

Yosharian

Arcane
Companions can DIE in Supernova mode!? Oh noo... Can you imagine if one of your companions died in a hail of enemy bullets, their body spasming as it's riddled with gunfire, before hitting the dirt face-first... Oh nooo.... That would be just.. terrible. I don't know how I would cope if that happened. Truly.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
One question I wanna ask since some people praise the reactivity of TOW:

Does the game even acknowledge that you never killed anyone in the entire game?
I did a no kill run. Only dialogue and sneak. No, the game doesn't acknowledge your ghost/non-lethal playstyle. Only Sophia says at the end that she knows of your diplomatic skills and manipulation.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
It's funny, New Vegas is without a doubt the more engaging and extensive game but looks, runs and mods like absolute dogshit. Tow runs, looks and plays well but is barely a game and everything is unengaging in the extreme.

RK47

Patron
The weapons reloading animation feels great in FNV tho.
The way the caravan shotgun reload animation just snaps after unloading 2 shots felt really really good.
Whoever did the guns in FNV did a better job than TOW, that's for sure.

Some ideas that could've made TOW exploration and combat more fun is probably jumpjet ala Andromeda.
And maybe add dual pistol at skill level 60 just to keep it interesting. ATM I cannot see any point in using pistol unless you want to roleplay.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom