Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Kojima's post-apocalyptic deliveryman simulator

Sentinel

Arcane
This might be surprising but... Hideo Kojima doesn't write his games in English.

Sentinel

Arcane
This might be surprising but... Hideo Kojima doesn't write his games in English.
For his earlier games,i do agree,they were jap trough and trough. But this one is made by big and diverse team,it makes sense to be written in English.
Doesn't look like a very diverse team to me

wOICm85.png

Tigranes

Arcane
Every single name on that list is just a pseudonym for genius Kojima-san who did everything with solely his foreskin attached to a special typewriter, though, rite

I like how there's a blank line in between Hideo Kojima and the other writers. As though no one else is worthy of having their name listed so close to his majesty's.

Ezekiel

Arcane
https://wccftech.com/kojima-death-s...-us-possibly-because-it-flies-above-shooters/

“I must say that the game received rave reviews, especially in Europe and Japan. Here in the United States, however, we have had stronger criticisms. Perhaps it is a difficult game to understand for a certain type of critic and audience. Americans are great fans of first-person shooters and Death Stranding isn't one, it flies higher.

“I always try to create new things and disputes and discussions are fine, but it must be said that the Italians or the French have a different artistic sensibility that allows them to appreciate this kind of very original product, not only in video games but also in cinema.“

Ass.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
https://wccftech.com/kojima-death-s...-us-possibly-because-it-flies-above-shooters/

“I must say that the game received rave reviews, especially in Europe and Japan. Here in the United States, however, we have had stronger criticisms. Perhaps it is a difficult game to understand for a certain type of critic and audience. Americans are great fans of first-person shooters and Death Stranding isn't one, it flies higher.

“I always try to create new things and disputes and discussions are fine, but it must be said that the Italians or the French have a different artistic sensibility that allows them to appreciate this kind of very original product, not only in video games but also in cinema.“

Ass.
Damn, the burn. XD

Egosphere

Arcane

Ass.

Konami prioritized US release for the MGS series. The first 3 games were on the US market weeks (sometimes months) before the EU version, probably because the US brought the majority of the money to the series. And what's his problem with shooters? He spent 2 decades churning out "stealth" action games that ripped off 'high-fliers' like James Bond and Escape from New York.

Modron

Arcane
Konami prioritized US release for the MGS series. The first 3 games were on the US market weeks (sometimes months) before the EU version, probably because the US brought the majority of the money to the series. And what's his problem with shooters? He spent 2 decades churning out "stealth" action games that ripped off 'high-fliers' like James Bond and Escape from New York.
Just standard narcissistic behavior, looking for anything to blame but himself for personal failings.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
This game confirms that MGSV being a pile of shit was Kojima's fault, not Konami's. It has all the same problems with shit filler content and thin, idiotic story that V had.

Anyway, one of the text entries in the game refers to Death Stranding as being "a legendary video game." :lol: The fucking ego on this hack.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
lmao @ all these submediocre minds being intimidated by the genius of a nipponese auteur, putting your fragile egos on full display

Kojima is a master of video game kino and you peasants are being ungrateful

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Kojima fans is such a sad, hilarious bunch. People who have been gobbling up garbage their whole life - Hollywood cartoon dreck, akshun films, anime...stupid, retarded trash for children and idiots. So when someone throws them garbage but this time wrapped in faux veneer of artistry they pee pee their little poo poos.

Like retards who have been stuffing their faces with cheap Pizza Hut garbage visit some hipster deli burger joint and they think they've tasted the very pinnacle of haute cuisine. Poor fucking muppets.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finished the game. Played all weekend. Overall I liked it and I'm glad I played it.

Good stuff:

1. Graphics are really darn good. It's not something new per say (game looking good that is), but it has no pop-ins from what I noticed, and far away lands look remarkable good. Usually it's just a blob of very low textures, but the vistas in the game feel like true vistas.
2. Combat and sneaking is serviceable. Step down from Metal Gear 5 though.
3. Setting is interesting with the whole creepy ghost apocalypse.
4. Story at certain parts are interesting & the cinematics are well shot.
5. Online stuff is fun. Building up roads together with other players, and getting "likes" from equipment players used you have placed in the world. If you make an effort placing equipment in good spots it will get used.
6. Ran incredible well, didn't notice any slow downs on my PS4 and it didn't actually feel sluggish like some locked 30 FPS games do.
7. The actual walking simulator aspect to the game. Yeah, you walk a lot but I found it fun, especially those epic journeys over mountains and rivers. At times it felt like a real struggle making it in one piece, both for you and the equipment you are transporting.

Bad stuff:

1. While the combat is okay, it gets easy as hell after a while when you are introduced new and better weapons. Even the non-lethal way have weapons that act like regular assault rifles, the only difference you stun instead of kill. You can take way too much damage before falling over, and the AI - while they can easily surround you they pose no real challenge. They stand in the open and fire at you waiting to get shot in the head. The ghosts are a little bit better I guess, but the only thing they do is hang around in the air until you come too close. Then they go all ballistics on you. It's hard to criticize the monster AI since they don't actually do much. I played on hard by the way.

2. The creepy Americas setting - while I did enjoy it, the scale feels all wrong. In the beginning of the game a character mention it took her 3 years to traverse the Americas, while you yourself can do it in one day. I understand there will be limitations, but it just feels off. Also the scale feels off when it comes to the story. The apocalypse took out a big chunk of the population, but some of the cities still have a hefty amount of civilians (60k) - so why does it feel like you have to do everything & anything when it comes to "make America whole again"? It is just too few actors and factions involved. While the game pose an epic tale, the actual story is incredible small in terms of scale. It's like that Star Wars thing, the galaxy is big, but somehow everything is about Skywalker and his nearest friends. Hope you get what I mean here.

3. Story is absurd. I didn't expect anything else here considering it is Kojima without a leash, but the story is just way too weird and cryptic up to the last 10% of the game. Then everything is explained and stuff suddenly makes sense. Also at this point you might actually start to care for the characters involved, alas it feels way too late for that and it's a real shame. 90% of the game I was not invested at all, except for maybe one or two small mysteries. The game supported itself mainly on gameplay for me, but as I said the last 10% turned it all around. I just don't understand this type of writing, especially for something that takes about 50-60 hours to complete... You would think making your characters and your protagonist interesting would be a top priority, but apparently it is not and saving it for the last 10% for a (I admit, interesting) twist just does not feel worth it.

4. The online stuff while cool, ruins so much of the game. On story mission you get this desolate feeling of treading new ground, seeing vistas no man has seen before etc. But as soon as you are connected to the in-game network, all this online stuff pops up and it makes the game incredible easy and annoying. Easy in that all those brutal cliffs, rivers and stuff like that you have to cross have already been made safe by someone else. Instead of you having to figure something out and maybe waste precious resources to build something you just casually stroll over that bridge some other player have built, no problem. Annoying, because you can place helpful and funny markers and believe me they are everywhere! It's like Dark Souls messaging system on steroids. Also zip-lines will kill the traversal stuff at some point. Just put up two zip-lines 300 meters a part and you can travel on them freely, gravity does not need to apply because this is future tech. You can of course avoid all of the helpful stuff, but then you feel stupid for taking the hard route. Nobody would do that in real life. Maybe a play-through offline would be the better thing but then you also miss out on the good community spirit like building up the road network together.

5. While I found the walking simulator aspect good, the game makes it way too easy for you here too. You get access to vehicles early on, you also get access to walking and carrying enchantment tools too early. Taking a tumble down the side of mountain or getting swept away in a river will soon became a (funny) memory.

6. Last part of the game has 3-4 (can't remember) bosses in a row. What the hell game, spread them out instead? And the main antagonist for 90% of the game is just an edgy annoying idiot that I felt had no connection to me or my character more than he mocked me at times.

So while I liked the game, it has issues and understandable it isn't a game for everyone, but what game is? My main crux with it is that it becomes way too easy too quickly and the story is told in a very bad way.

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Fighting in WW1 trenches is one of the early high points. That moment would have been spoiled had one followed the hype train like a madman. Combat Veteran has to be the most Kojima name ever coined. Frankly just naming him Vet would have flowed much smoother. I've never heard his name said but I can imagine it.

"Hey! It's Combat Vet!"

"How are you BB? It's been a long time"

"Where have you been Combat Vet?"

"I've got shit to do outside this door. You don't want to see any of that shit."

"But Combat Vet....Mama said Combat Vet..."

"Just...call me Vet please. Goddamnit."

Curratum

Fighting in WW1 trenches is one of the early high points. That moment would have been spoiled had one followed the hype train like a madman. Combat Veteran has to be the most Kojima name ever coined. Frankly just naming him Vet would have flowed much smoother. I've never heard his name said but I can imagine it.

"Hey! It's Combat Vet!"

"How are you BB? It's been a long time"

"Where have you been Combat Vet?"

"I've got shit to do outside this door. You don't want to see any of that shit."

"But Combat Vet....Mama said Combat Vet..."

"Just...call me Vet please. Goddamnit."

Combat Veteran gets a name a little later on, and everyone uses that, don't worry. It's still CV just because you don't know who he is yet, in-world.

Viata

Arcane
Apparently some japanese fans are mad Famitsu gave a top score for the game after they found references to Famitsu inside the game.
Hamamura's cameo was not mentioned in Famitsu's review, Japanese commenters have noted. There's also a much-discussed in-joke from Hamamura's character, who plays a fictional son of himself, who tells Death Stranding main character Sam he will "get in the Hall of Fame" - Famitsu's name for high-scoring reviews.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...dings-famitsu-cameos-spark-questions-in-japan

Machocruz

Arcane
Now while it's fun to shit on this game and Kojima putting on airs, I have to say that, some dumb choices aside, KojiPro really is a crack team of technicians. And, while I don't like all the design work, they are on the cutting edge of graphic design in games. Compare the look of tech in this to The Outer Worlds. Yoji Shinkawa is like Syd Mead compared to Obsidian's team of Robb Liefelds, and I believe much of MGS' appeal was due to that man. This is an area where Kojima's Hollywood pretenses pay off, as the art direction is playing at almost the same level as something like Ridley Scott's The Martian and Prometheus (whose opening scenes probably served as inspiration for the landscapes in the game), Spike Jonze's Her, or Joseph Kosinki's Oblivion, although it lacks their restraint. In comparison, your typical video game has all the visual sophistication of an Image comic from the 90s.

Also, a lot of the promotional material I've seen is Fincher-esque in it's austere hipness. I picture Koji pouring over every fashion mag and hip filmmaking publication he can get his hands on. I suspect he very much wishes he were one of the cool, beautiful, people, and a taste maker (which he kind of is, but in a smaller niche than he would like)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom