Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Can't say I'll ever invest the time to play this, but it's interesting to watch unfold. Being a legal adult when this game came out, I believe I was too old to develop any kind of emotional attachment or have it hit me on any deeper level the way it did people who were kids at the time. It was a good time, but nothing superlative, nothing that mechanically exceeded what came before, and not enough substance in terms of characterization to garner an emotional response.

I was a teen when I played Final Fantasy VII and it didn't hit me on any deep level either. I feel like some people, especially JRPG fans, are overly sensitive in a way that seems foreign to me. People saying they cried at a certain game, or who got depressed over a certain character who died and so on... it's so weird. There are many movies that have made me cry (Titanic was THE one for a long time, then came Big Fish, Gladiator, and others). But videogames? Nah.

Aeris died and I don't remember giving a shit about it. To me, Caius leaving Vvardenfell was much more impactful, and because a lot of people use his home as a base of operations, his absence is very noticeable. Aeris on the other hand I feel is a character I would be much more upset at for losing because of the (potential) time I could have spent levelling her and have her learn different materia, than because I felt genuinely attached to her. Hell, Vagrant Story has

Vagrant Story is worth playing for its story alone, so don't open this spoiler.
I mean it.
Hardin dies at the end next to Joshua and it's so sad because in this game, the "original baddies" aren't baddies at all, and they are human since the beginning of the game. So having that final moment nail down how Hardin has feelings for Joshua really sticked with me. I didn't cry, though.

Deleted Member 16721

I just remember my jaw dropping to the floor when Aeris died, I couldn't believe it. An RPG that actually made me cry was Lost Odyssey. The game had these short stories written by a famous author and a couple of them brought me to tears. That game is very underrated.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Yeah, I recall being surprised, but not really sad. Maybe it'd have had more of an impact if she was in my party more and got more dialogue? I don't really know anything about her aside from the major plot point of her being the last ancient and flirting with cloud early on. I was more confused at the whole situation; why does cloud keep acting weird, why can sephiroth appear and move around like a ghost but never fought us? Why did aeris run off alone to do something as important as save the planet and risk fucking it up?

I don't know if it made me cry, but a lot of the plot points in chrono trigger tugged at the heartstrings a lot more. Robo deciding to stay and plant trees for hundreds of years until he breaks down and dies, shattered remnants of the human race receiving what might be the last living plant on earth and hoping to rebuild the world, Nadia and her father reconciling during the prism shell quest.. those were actual stories. And in the same game you have another shocker death in chrono sacrificing himself to the mammon machine, and it again had no real impact because it came out of left field and you know nothing about him.

I think the best FF7 did along those lines was probably Dyne walking off a cliff because he can't bear to live with his daughter after everything he's done and had done to him, leaving Barret to reflect on the fact that he's no better. That was a meaningful death, and they'd only set the character up like 20 minutes earlier in a single cutscene.

Deleted Member 16721

Yeah, Dyne's death was a bit sad. I might have cried there, I vaguely remember. I was really young then and always had a soft spot for disabled people (I think Dyne limped or something, right?) Try Lost Odyssey and try not to cry about some of those short stories while the sad Uematsu soundtrack plays in the background. :)

Hassar

Scholar
I was annoyed when Aerith died because I prefer mage characters and she was the closest thing to that in the cast. I’d rather lose Tifa.

I never developed any connection to the rest of the cast and I think that was the first FF I quit playing and watched the ending from other players. I think a big part of it was that FF7 deviated from the glamrock lofty fantasy settings the other games had and went with an anime style. At the time, I had just learned to appreciate good quality anime from the shlock anime - FF7 took all the shlock tropes I disliked & combined them into one pile of shlock that I just couldn’t stand.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I played FF7 when I was like 14 and I was utterly blown away. It was my first Japanese game and it was so wonderfully different and refreshing from all the Western RPGs I was used to. Also the story and characters were amazing and I loved it.

But then I grew up and I learned to despise the anime art style and narration. I'm still gonna check the reboot though, just for nostalgia sake.

Delterius

Arcane
I’d rather lose Tifa.

aeris_dies.png

TigerKnee

Arcane
I was annoyed when Aerith died because I prefer mage characters and she was the closest thing to that in the cast.
Vincent and Cait Sith both have very comparable stat set-ups - if you aren't going to abuse any of Vincent's quirks like the 255% Hit Rate gun with Death Blow then Cait is better since his limits aren't an outright liability (outside of the really low chance of fucking up slots)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
lol did y'all see the japanese-only, 15 minute long, live action FF7 Remake commercial?

It's a live action bit about japanese zoomers discovering FF7 remake through the praise of Boomers who played the original and reminisce about their youth and good times while playing it. Heh, I like how at one point one of the jap boomers says "But I heard they made it an action game now!". Nice one, Squeenix.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
the biggest lie in that jap commercial is that JRPG players are socially well-adjusted and have full time jobs ^_^

c'mon square nobody's buying that

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Can we get Alex Jones to read through a cliff notes version of Cleve's biography (or, Cleveography) and general theory of Clevolution?

Falksi

Arcane
I was annoyed when Aerith died because I prefer mage characters and she was the closest thing to that in the cast. I’d rather lose Tifa.

I never developed any connection to the rest of the cast and I think that was the first FF I quit playing and watched the ending from other players. I think a big part of it was that FF7 deviated from the glamrock lofty fantasy settings the other games had and went with an anime style. At the time, I had just learned to appreciate good quality anime from the shlock anime - FF7 took all the shlock tropes I disliked & combined them into one pile of shlock that I just couldn’t stand.

How could you not develop a connection with Red Xiii? I thrived on him so much I bought a dog.

Reunion R06 was released. Features a new modding framework for FFVII, recoded audio, 60fps improvements, aali's dll has been updated and your usual corrections in the retranslation.

https://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14914.4975

Is there an easy way to use this with other mods like ReMako? IIRC Reunion uses its own method and every other Mod uses 7th Heaven and they don't really play together.

Hassar

Scholar
the biggest lie in that jap commercial is that JRPG players are socially well-adjusted and have full time jobs ^_^

c'mon square nobody's buying that

It’s selling them an idealized picture of themselves. The Japanese Gamer Dream, as it were.

A realistic picture would be someone living at home with ramen containers around their room.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't think that's all that realistic either. You're projecting your own perception of what the Japanese are like on them.

None of us who aren't Japanese can really say.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom