Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium spoilery thread

axedice

Cipher
Did you get anything other than 103 real total?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just didn't want the guys wife to suffer, so I shut the phone down...
Curious what happens if you keep it up.

Guy stops listening to you, you hear a woman saying "This isn't true, it has to be a prank call", then you hear shouts and an object crashing and children clamoring.

Yeah, you just ruined an entire family.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
That's the part I got to. But then I admitted it was a prank. But I seem to recall there was an option to keep going.

vota DC

Augur

Shadenuat

Arcane
To what extent can the game accommodate failing Key Checks?

E.g. I tried to progress while failing Titus Key Check (Rhetoric?) that makes him send lawyergirl away and talk about Ruby. From what I can tell, you should have enough of a hunch to go to the fishing village and keep investigating, but you lack a lot of the options that let you actually progress, softlocking you. Why? Seems shit.
There are funny failure states like crashing into grandma or singing terribly, but they are tangential to the main quest or even side quests. Some checks just seem not matter at all NWN1-style (like one with Dolores). In general though, in terms of content, it is better to pass checks than to fail them.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Why does Ruby go on calling Harry a "human can opener" as he arrives? Does he have a reputation stretching to Revachol West? From my understanding this happened even before Harry did anything. Or maybe she calls that all cops in general...?

Some checks just seem not matter at all NWN1-style (like one with Dolores)

I found two in total: The Last Door and the evil ex-something. Any other?

Shadenuat

Arcane
It is stated many times during game that Harry was super cop; 200 solved cases, 206 to be exact; years of work; that he speaks in dialogue trees (lists) which is how he obtains information because he went crazy overworking etc.
So Ruby is afraid of him

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Why does Ruby go on calling Harry a "human can opener" as he arrives? Does he have a reputation stretching to Revachol West? From my understanding this happened even before Harry did anything. Or maybe she calls that all cops in general...?

Some checks just seem not matter at all NWN1-style (like one with Dolores)

I found two in total: The Last Door and the evil ex-something. Any other?

Specifically, Ruby will also tell you she believes Harry is a corrupt cop who works for a powerful criminal organization and she takes "the human can opener" nickname rather literally.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, I only got that last bit in my second full play and it really changes how you look at things. Rubys behaviour makes more sense, your earlier chat with racist driver becomes eerie indeed...

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Nearly a month later and around 33h worth of playtime, I finished my first run. There are many things to critique, but I enjoyed the game all the way through; it's a labour of love and it shows. Wouldn't I want every first release ever to be of such high quality. Hope y'all get the commercial success you deserve and continue developing games for as long as you can.

Hats off to at the paranormal aspects of the game, and how well they fit inside its logic.

Now spoil me this:
Anyone managed to pass the impossible reaction speed check when reading Dick Mullen's book (the one that crumbles and the pages come flying)?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
There's something about the lore's writing that keeps me fascinated. I'm probably obsessing about it too much, sorry. In any case,

Joyce: Acromatic, odorless, featureless. The pale is the enemy of matter and life. [...] It's the transition state of being into nothingness.
Joyce: It's difficult to describe -- or even measure -- something whose fundamental property is the suspension of properties: physical, epistemological, linguistic...
Joyce: [...] the pale somehow consists of past information that's degrading. That it's rarefied past, not rarefied matter.
Joyce (paraphrased)- We're looking from the world from the inside out [...] It looks like crowning of the world, very disco.
Bloated corpse of a drunk: Everything. The pale and the isolas. [...] outer magnetosphere...
Paledriver: Your mind becomes so radiant with the past [...] nearing some kind of... Indescribable finale.

I'll edit this with programmer dialogue.
Concluding.
1. The pale is a damn time machine -- deeper you go, more into the future it gets.
2. Crowning seems like a figure of speech that doesn't describe the world's shape as a crown.

Hats off to at the paranormal aspects of the game, and how well they fit inside its logic.

I like Kim calling bullshit on all the woo. Even if the necktie doesn't approve.

Last edited:

axedice

Cipher
The Pale is an "Extinction Entity" (™) , analogous to oxygen buildup in the atmosphere during the Great Oxidation Event. Just like bacteria using photosythesis and filling the atmosphere with free oxygen, the humans of Elysium are filling it up with their stray thoughts and memories. Once the "thought sinks" (the pale oceans where current life forms can not thrive) in the world are filled to the brim, The Pale will overflow and engulf the entire world, causing mass extinction to open up a place for new kind of life forms. And these advanced life forms (that synthisize the composition of the pale) will see the remaining humans as we see plants.

Oh and since the Great Oxidation event is also called Oxygen Holocaust, the Pale is also a Nazi.

frajaq

Erudite
In case anyone missed the bit about the fate of Revachol in 22 years (sequel confirmed?) and cements shivers as a supernatural ability. Requires a literal godly passive reaction speed check:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbbBd5myZ0M (Starts at 6:03)

he is part of the homo-sexual undergound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xinf3mPhkg

bruh this was the 97% check that I fucking missed and it was literally the most important

fuck the skill system in this game sometimes man

Prime Junta

and cements shivers as a supernatural ability

Well it probably is a supernatural ability and yes that probably was a sequel hook, but neither this nor anything else in the game really cements it as such. There's nothing to prevent you from deciding that the whole conversation was a figment of your imagination.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
he is part of the homo-sexual undergound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xinf3mPhkg

Hah, I had a hunch. Didn't think about the homosex thought so I never got to talk to him about it, but there were several little comments that made me think "huh, I guess he might be gay".

Best-written gay character in RPG history, then.

In case anyone missed the bit about the fate of Revachol in 22 years (sequel confirmed?) and cements shivers as a supernatural ability. Requires a literal godly passive reaction speed check:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbbBd5myZ0M (Starts at 6:03)

From the comment section:

Oh, so there were spoilers in the game to Kurvitz's book. In the book, Revachol does get nuked, or rather, the event is referenced to as something that happened in the past from the book's perspecive.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Not good news, guys.

It is on Steam for 1,5 months now, and the number of owners is still 50-100 thousands.

So, the game flopped (?)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom