Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - now available on PC

Sentinel

Arcane
Yeah guys RDR2 is the first game to have large view distance.
:nocountryforshitposters:
Y04wMk1.jpg

This is your brain on consoles.
pretty sure people are praising the lighting more than the draw distance itself

Ivan

Arcane
It keeps dawning on me that this reminds me a lot of the wonder of STALKER SoC and Breath of the Wild. It's wonderful just exploring the wilderness and seeing/hearing everything. Love the little details: footprints mud, blades of grass rustling in the wind after your horse rides through. It's incredible. I did have to "optimise" my settings to get it near :60. But that was quite fun. It's very humbling not just bumping everything into Ultra and truly learning a bit behind what each little setting tweaks.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The game doesn't let me run outside of camp either. It does have its strengths, like one being the only cowboy game for pc, which is only really held back by no optimizing, a story, diversity quota, and hopefully a UI modders can fix.

In my opinion, they didn't go overboard with this. It's not diversity for diversity's sake, but serves the story and the world building. The game represents a condensed version of America. Complaining about diversity in that context is like complaining that it only takes 10 minutes to ride to Blackwater. Featuring a Jewish-German loan shark is also a pretty uncommon move. Thanks Strauss Zelnick.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Dude, haven't you seen the leaks? Or even the last official footage? CP 2077 graphics got hit with the console downgrade hard. It looks like shit with shitty textures and everything is low-rez. It will probably run on a toaster when it comes out.

I have not, but this is some confirmation that my ThinkPad, connected to my NVIDIA TITAN, can run it. Thanks!

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
In my opinion, they didn't go overboard with this. It's not diversity for diversity's sake, but serves the story and the world building. The game represents a condensed version of America. Complaining about diversity in that context is like complaining that it only takes 10 minutes to ride to Blackwater. Featuring a Jewish-German loan shark is also a pretty uncommon move. Thanks Strauss Zelnick.
A condensed version wouldn't have any blacks or women in slacks following a gang of outlaws, if by condensing we're going by statistics. A jew is nothing new, Rosenberg was Vercetti's squeaky lawyer. They went so far with the stereotypical jewish car salesman in 5, that they probably had to call him Armenian to keep the character. I was waiting for a quip about a genocide during the fight with Michael. The affirmative action crap wouldn't be an issue if the gameplay was better. Brushing my little pony is fucking insult, the last straw.
I tried both GTA 4 & 5 and they were complete garbage
You will most certainly not like RDR2.

From what I've seen GTA is way more retarded than RDR. It's like Michael Bay vs. Sergio Leone.
Its more like Ritchie vs Tarantino. Or either of those two vs himself. 4 is the peak of the series imo, in terms of setting (east coast is a preference), missions, and things to do outside missions. Vice City is second, maybe the best if you aren't tired of 80s music. VC was the last GTA where the protagonist is in it all for himself, so an actual criminal motivated by criminal things. The Stories games were pretty decent. There's been a fuckton of establishment propaganda in everything they've made since then, starting with San Andreas. The stories of these characters have been centered around being the grudging henchmen of US agents saving the world. Characters joke about it, but that's because its true.

Ivan

Arcane
My biggest gripe with the game (and I don't think it serves the authenticity or feel the game is going for) is that in consistently resets your weapon loadout. It's frustrating, especially when you're thrown into firefights and you realize, oh wait, my shotgun and rifles are no longer on me.....

Aside from that, I'm fine with everything else. I love how much content and banter there is at the camps. You will definitely not see/hear everything in one "playthrough." And I love that. You have to choose who you want to engage with, knowing full well that there are other things/conversations happening at the same time.

addendum: something that has taken me by surprise (and mild disappointment) is how subdued the soundtrack is. It does feel less "gamey" by not seguing into song when the world state changed (become wanted). I'm still early on Ch3, so I guess I'll see how this changes/develops

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
I would probably find Online ideal, but the game's been out a year, so there's no way my dude would even last a minute. That, and I randomly get kicked off the web out here.

Featuring a Jewish-German loan shark is also a pretty uncommon move. Thanks Strauss Zelnick.
A condensed version wouldn't have any blacks or women in slacks following a gang of outlaws, if by condensing we're going by statistics. A jew is nothing new, Rosenberg was Vercetti's squeaky lawyer. They went so far with the stereotypical jewish car salesman in 5, that they probably had to call him Armenian to keep the character

Leopold Strauss? I guess I never connected the dots, his nose ain't that aquiline. But looking at the screenshots I guess you're 100% correct, huh.

HEAVY STORY SPOILER:
so you can say that Jews killed Arthur, since that loan shark mission with Thomas Downes is what gets him the tuberculosis :negative:

The car salesman was probably really just an Armenian and not a jew* but it doesn't matter since GTA V had Michael's therapist conman, Dr. Friedlander a.k.a. the most jooish guy you can possibly imagine :lol: one of the rather few times this game made me laugh out loud. I'm surprised ADL didn't get on Rockstar's ass.

*Keep in mind that during medieval ages, at least in Poland, Armenians many times dethroned Jews as Merchant Kangz.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
That explains why the young turks wanted them genocided.

All that is to say, I hate these animations and menus. And just like twitcher 3, the story gets in the way. Other than that, it can be a game at times.

Modron

Arcane
i guess it means that joke about consoles testing pc version for a year is no longer true?
More like nuRockstar can't code for shit and GTA V being decently optimized on PC must have been a fluke. They didn't bring RDR 1 over because it was so frankensteined together they would have had to rewrite so much of the code, RDR 2 just got the GTA 4 port treatment.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
More like nuRockstar can't code for shit and GTA V being decently optimized on PC must have been a fluke. They didn't bring RDR 1 over because it was so frankensteined together they would have had to rewrite so much of the code, RDR 2 just got the GTA 4 port treatment.

I haven't played it yet, but every tech site I follow say that Xbox One X settings are native 4k, with a mix of low and medium detail on PC. If that's the case, considering the Xbox One X GPU, trying to run on ultra on PC at 1440p or above would be quite the ask. I don't think that was setup as the baseline experience, which is what tech sites are saying as well. Play on medium today, hard and ultra are for future PCs. This is a PR nightmare though, because like with Crysis everyone with a high-end card expects to run at max settings and get super pissed when they can't.

I barely run anything recent on ultra settings, to be honest, even with a 2070. Gotta get them good framerates.

Mortmal

Arcane
<asyncComputeEnabled value="true" />
Best fix ever for freezes problem, no need of cpu limiter anymore, i dont understand why its not patched yet.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Am I the only one who got a big update yesterday and now I can't even enter the settings directory? Its grayed out in the main menu.

This is how R* optimize.:hahano:

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Not to mention game on PC is much more ugly than on XBOX o X in 4k . Plus a lot of texturing , shadowing errors every step. Very poor port from consoles, it should work and look quite good on modern - high quality pc's but it works mediocre without any visual groundbreaking feautres.

And biggest issue for multiplayer is LACK OF TEXT CHAT with proper channel , YES THERE IS NO ANY CHAT AT ALL in what can be best western mmorpg ever. FOR FUCK SAKE. It kills most of multi cool feautures. There are only gestures for autistic people.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom