Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Games you thought were shit, but you kinda like 'em

overly excitable young man

How is it racism? It's just germans writing very clumsily like in some 19th century adventure novel.
They made only one quest which features this whole theme:
At the start when you kill the former slaves.
They could have made so much more with the setting.

Is not having SJW stuff now a sign for quality?
How long till you guys defend Fallout 3?

Falksi

Arcane
How is it racism? It's just germans writing very clumsily like in some 19th century adventure novel.
They made only one quest which features this whole theme:
At the start when you kill the former slaves.
They could have made so much more with the setting.

Some very obvious racism going off there, whether through intent or clumsyness.

If you don't see that or the humour in it, you're just not into that stuff.

Is not having SJW stuff now a sign for quality?
How long till you guys defend Fallout 3?

Already defended Fallout 3. it's an underrated game. Not great, but way better than what a lot of other modern games offer.

I know Björn and Jenny and it is sadly just clumsiness.
Don't PB games generally have their scripts changed quite a bit between localizations?
ELEX was a whole other game. English ELEX localization was pretty serious at parts the original was goofy.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Battle Brothers.
The first battle was a huge turn off for me and i tried it multiple time to kill the opponents before they can finish your most skilled mercenary, even through it's part of the story.
I even think i saved one once but he died anyway.
Not even talking about the extreme RNG in the beginning.

It gets way better afterward and it's not a RPG in my book but it's a good "tactical-RPG".

Might & Magic VI
I really hated what they did with the visuals when the game was released but bought it anyway in a second hand store, to be on the safe side (and still have the boxed version), well, it was great in spite of the 3D shit.

Last edited:

Max Damage

Savant
I'll join Might&Magic VI chorus here: yeah, it's obvious decline from previous releases, but cmon, it's like medieval Doom (drunk and with crappy level design, but you get the idea). Daggerfall is also good for this purpose, when the game doesn't crash all the time. And, unlike some abstract hammerspace inventory in PoE, you can actually buy horse and cart to store every single item from dungeons in. This is so straight to the point that I just can't bring myself to hate the game, even if spaghetti dungeons suck balls :D

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Two Worlds II. There's so much wrong with this game, especially the thrashy writing. But over time it gets quite charming, because the game tries SO hard. It tries, you guys.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Fallout 4. Its a nice shooter. The new perk system is fun, banked crits a cool invention and uniques/Legendary weapon mods are just awesome.

Falksi

Arcane
Two Worlds II. There's so much wrong with this game, especially the thrashy writing. But over time it got quite charming, because the game tries SO hard. It tries, you guys.

That magic system hooked me. Such a shit game, but it just kept me playing.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That magic system hooked me. Such a shit game, but it just kept me playing.

Yeah I remember enjoying the magic system a lot. Also enjoyed the game, but can't remember it well enough to know if there was anything besides the magic system involved with that enjoyment.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Outward. It's janky, barebones, and sometimes tedious. Has a certain charm to it tho.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Mass Effect 2. Yeah, it's dumb, both in writing and gameplay, but I just like it.

Same. I'll also say I'm such a slut for sci-fi that anything with that kind of space opera setting gets a massive handicap from me. I was even able to get some enjoyment from Andromeda for that reason, despite how thoroughly shit it was.

Mass Effect 2 for me, as well. I hated it when it first came out because of how dumbed down it felt and it pissed me off how they forced you to work for Cerberus.

But, over time, I've grown to appreciate it more.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Gothic. I thought people were retarded to like this clunky mess. I started it 4 separate times and searched for the fckn fckn motherfckn cartographer on the wrong side of the castle because the MOTHERFUCKER couldn't say he was behind him or point at him or something. Instead tells me he has a house near the gate!! MOtherfucker!

Eventually found him on my 5th attempt after another bunch of people gushed about it. Greatest fckn game I've ever played.

Dark Souls. Dropped it 3 times before picking up and playing on the 4th. It was like banging my head against a wall till I cracked it. Not as terrible as I thought but not the best experience, I do adore Demon Souls & Dark Souls 3 but.

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
In 2007 I read a lukewarm review in German games magazine "Gamestar" of some obscure Polish game called "The Witcher".
I nearly forgot about it when I got my hands on a demo of that game a year or so later.
And I thought: "This shit is fucking great!".
I bought the Enhanced Edition, which had the first of Sapkowski's short stories included, and played it like a madman. And when I finished it, I started a new playthrough. That's something I rarely have ever done.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Mars: War Logs and Technomancer, by Spiders.

They remind me of cool B-class movies from the 80s and early 90s, including Total Recall. Great stuff, I like it many times more than Greedfall.

Last edited:

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I really liked Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader and replayed it several time, even if it is probably worst Black isle game and goes poor man's diablo in the second half.

Might and Magic 9 is another "worst in the series" but I absolutely love its dungeons and places like Chasm of the Dead, The Lich Lab and Tomb of Thousand Terrors are still vivid in my memory. It actually started to seem less ugly with a time, because most of an early 3D is ugly.

ARPG are entirely different category, but I probably spent more hours on Sacred 1&2 and Dungeon Siege 1&2 than on Diablo 2.

Beyond Divinity is an odd game for Larian but a liked it much more than first and more competent Divine Divinity.

Oh, and from "russian trash of my childhood" it would be Konung 2.

Listing here technically competent or even good games made for different tastes feels wrong (Mass Effect and etc).

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
For the longest time I avoided playing Betrayal at Krondor because I thought the character portraits of bad actors in horrible costumes was indicative of the quality of the game. After I exhausted tactical, turn-based games of the era I decided to give it a try and found that it was as good as advertised.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom