Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Origins is ten years old today

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
the mage lore
ah yes, the psykers who tempt corruption

stupid templars, tho, oppressing them and turning them into nullos if they're too much of a liability AAAAAAGH SLAANESH IS SUCKING ME OFF SAVE ME TEMPLARS

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Hand-crafted encounters and hand-placed loot is where it's at.

Scaled encounters are still hand-crafted if the scaling is hand-crafted. :)

That's lame. A single bandit attacking someone without help from his group doesn't even make sense.

There are lone bandits. It does make a solo run a bit less impressive though.

Deleted Member 16721

Look, just because I mention scaling in DA:O, and this causes you to look things up in lame-o wikis because YOU don't know how it works off-hand, doesn't mean I need you to quote it back to me, and "inform" me, as if I don't know.

Do you know who I am? I'm someone who doesn't quote any other authority than my own. When I research something, I research within the game, and then I post my findings on my blog as an authoritative source. I don't check wikis and I don't even take into account what the devs say.

I don't mean to be mean, but is there something wrong with you? I mean, there's confidence in yourself then there's whatever the hell that was. Brb, I have to retrieve my jaw off the floor. :)

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Look, just because I mention scaling in DA:O, and this causes you to look things up in lame-o wikis because YOU don't know how it works off-hand, doesn't mean I need you to quote it back to me, and "inform" me, as if I don't know.

Do you know who I am? I'm someone who doesn't quote any other authority than my own. When I research something, I research within the game, and then I post my findings on my blog as an authoritative source. I don't check wikis and I don't even take into account what the devs say.

I don't mean to be mean, but is there something wrong with you? I mean, there's confidence in yourself then there's whatever the hell that was. Brb, I have to retrieve my jaw off the floor. :)
Careful, back talk like that will get you on his ignore list.

biggestboss

Liturgist

Xeon

Augur
I kinda liked the level scaling in BG2, iirc you get a stronger version of monsters instead of the weaker ones, no? For example instead of getting a Clay Golem, you get an Adamantite Golem or instead of a Mummy, you get a Lich. Things like that I kinda liked to still keep some challenge.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
EDIT: I guess the ignore was added probably some time after said post, but the post itself was extremely memorable to me for some reason. https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...odexian-obsession.128767/page-12#post-6241633

His posts are fraudulent; that's why he's on ignore. People who consistently lie to themselves, and to others, go on ignore.

I kinda liked the level scaling in BG2, iirc you get a stronger version of monsters instead of the weaker ones, no? For example instead of getting a Clay Golem, you get an Adamantite Golem or instead of a Mummy, you get a Lich. Things like that I kinda liked to still keep some challenge.

>=16th level triggers the scale. Yes, like BG, BG2 has very limited scaling, but I still don't like it. It's lazy encounter design. But since you like level scaling in BG2, you can go in my iggy bin with all the other BG2 'tards.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Ah. Yes. I remember now. But that's not part of any map, I can forgive them taking a shortcut on random/sleep encounters. Most of BG is handcrafted with love and attention to details.

And if I remember correctly, bandits and hobgoblins in large groups weren't a joke due to poison arrows.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I enjoyed it at the time, enough to play it through 2 times. I think its story is great, even if generic, it has very engaging characters, and the combat can be interesting when the encounter is meaningfull. However, I could never go back to it. The last time I played it I had my fill. It's just too bloated and long, with too much trash combat and areas that drag.

In contrast, I've played Mass Effect trilogy through 3 times and would play it again tomorrow if Bioware released a remastered version.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I feel like reminiscing a bit about this now-classic RPG.

And nothing makes one smug like being able to master a game while newbs struggle with it (when they're not trying to figure out how to get that foursome with Isabela)
wLtMInB.png

(classic screencaps, taken near release)

I may have a case of fuzzy memory, but didn't they basically nerf the game not long after release because people were complaining they were dying to starting wolves on normal or something?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I may have a case of fuzzy memory, but didn't they basically nerf the game not long after release because people were complaining they were dying to starting wolves on normal or something?
The Day 1 patch made easy easier and gave normal a bit of boost
  • made Easy difficulty easier
  • slightly increased attack, defense, and damage scores for all party members at Normal difficulty

Then 1.02 fixed a problem where the scaling system was scaling encounters to max level regardless of your level and made a few more adjustments
  • Daggers now apply 0.5 points of damage per additional point in dexterity and 0.5 points of damage per additional point in strength, as originally intended. This increases dagger damage for high-dexterity characters.
  • During combat, mana or stamina reserves now correctly regenerate more quickly when reserves are low. This allows players to occasionally use an talent or spell in the later stages of lengthy fights.
  • When exploring, mana and stamina now regenerate more quickly at higher character levels. This reduces downtime between fights.
    Certain battles were not scaling properly, resulting in excessively difficult fights. They now scale as intended.

When I replayed DA:O on hard with 1.02 I still had a difficult-enough time. That's the difficulty it was balanced for anyway (which is why noobs have such a hard time and why pros find Nightmare too easy). :M

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The difference between noobs and pros in DA:O amounts to build efficacy, though, I could auto-attack my way through Nightmare with good builds for the characters. DA:O basically had no encounter design with a few exceptions. Or maybe the mobs needed to be deadlier. ...and with better AI.

Last edited:

Frozen

Arcane
Hmmm mebbe I should replay this. Are there any good mods worth bothering with?

You need gazzilion mods for it to be passable today. Modding of this game could also be a chore because for most things you need other mods as a basis...and so it goes.

Best thing is to browse DAO nexus categories and see what you like. I wouldn't touch any new quest mods because it brakes the difficulty curve (except Alley of Murders)

Most important thing is HD textures and other visual enhancements.

There was back in the day kind of repack of different visual enhancements called Dragon Age redesigned, it was extremely good in a way it was an .exe no need to bother with it just install and pick options you want.
Strange thing is, this game with engine from 15y ago could still look really good today but you need to spend forever for all of mods to work.

Absinthe

Arcane
LARPing is when you do things that aren't acknowledged in-game.
The game doesn't pretend to have a valid reason to kill elves. The only reason you could have for doing it is because you think Werewolves make a better army.

If it was a late cut, it must have been a painful one for them.
Wouldn't surprise me.

Patches don't pay the bills when it's "good enough.
Good patches pay dividends by improving the reputation of your company and making people want to buy your future products as a company committed to releasing good games.

I didn't need any mods my first time through, which was also completely unpatched.
Landsmeet bugs, ancient armor set bug, Oghren never fucking explains why he's coming along (there was a cutscene for this that they forgot to enable), Mage Origin has a number of broken and missing dialogues, Crime Wave questline was royally busted (and it was a rare questline where you have multiple means of solving every quest), siding with Harrowmont in Orzammar is supposed to turn out differently if you have evidence that Bhelen was responsible for Trian's death, Sten was down a spec, down racial stats, and missing a lot of contextual dialogues because of difficulties in getting their triggers to fire, Haste and Momentum combined would somehow result in the character behaving as though neither were applied, Healing Received modifiers did not work, a lot of quest bugs and missing items, a considerable number of broken combat talent mechanics (esp. threat mechanics), etc.

Hear! Hear! Fuck LucasArts and the Secret of Monkey Island, too.
You know that Monkey Island is not a serious world and LucasArts was making a blatant joke out of shameless advertising. EA on the other hand was completely serious in pretending to offer you a quest only to tell you that you should buy some DLC. It was completely jarring and annoyed the shit out of a lot of people.

When I replayed DA:O on hard with 1.02 I still had a difficult-enough time. That's the difficulty it was balanced for anyway (which is why noobs have such a hard time and why pros find Nightmare too easy). :M
The dex to damage patch (which they claimed was implementing the mechanic as originally intended, even though it obviously wasn't) also resulted in ridiculous things like pure dex builds that had so much defense no attack will hit them (unless it's the rare enemy with Perfect Striking), and it made Dual Weapon Mastery talent complete shit (because those weapons are 100% strength-based). For any weapon where you get dex to damage, dexterity was strictly better than strength unless you really wanted the physical resistance, but there are enough ways to get massive physical resistance bonuses anyway.

Last edited:

Darkman

Educated
DAO was like a meal of bread and water after a famine. Remember FO3 was getting 9/10 scores with one of it's boons being great choice and consequence and it came out just a year previously.

This game has a lot of good in it and I enojy it it as as a whole but you have to wade through a lot of shit to get to the enjoyable parts. (Fuck the Fade)

polo

Magister
I remember enjoying it a lot at the time. Even played it 2 or 3 times i think. Fade and the tunnels (in the warven kingdom i think) were really bad tho.

Starwars

Arcane
I started a replay of this due to this thread. Don't know if I will have the stamina to finish it but it's fun to dive in. Playing a Mage. Never did that before, so have never seen the mage origin. Wasn't anything special in itself but the origins are really cool overall I think. It's definitely incline, especially for a big budget game, to do something like that.

One thing that kinda stands out pretty quickly is that the world feels pretty solid. I mean, all the codex entries are maybe not the greatest way to deliver it but the world really feels full of history and stories.

It's also very Biowarian of course. But after not playing a Bioware game in forever it's actually kind of charming in a way. And you get the hilariously "I AM EVIL!" moments like killing the prisoner in the cage at Ostagar. Comes completely out of the blue. :D

Absinthe

Arcane
The difference between noobs and pros in DA:O amounts to build efficacy, though, I could auto-attack my way through Nightmare with good builds for the characters. DA:O basically had no encounter design with a few exceptions. Or maybe the mobs needed to be deadlier. ...and with better AI.
That's why Lilura plays with slinks s3 RAVAge mod, which is also the reason why she has so many mobs killed by the end of the game. It spawns all kinds of extra mobs with special capabilities, advanced tactics, and unusual magic items.

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/1406/

Qwinn's Ultimate Fixpack, Dragon Age Rules Fixpack, Improved Tooltips, Advanced Tactics, and Two Specializations Sten are the ones that I would consider mandatory. None of them change the game. They just make shit work properly. (Dragon Age Rules Fixpack erroneously removes the ability to target allies with Crushing Prison though, which was intended so you can use the Forcefield+Crushing Prison Shockwave spell combo.) Console font mod is not necessary but recommended if you feel like using the console (otherwise text is invisible).

Other than that the RAVAge mod above and the Faster Combat mod can make combat better.

There's also sea's custom campaign (Thirst) if you're curious.

I'd also add Dragon Age Redesigned to fix a lot of the almost Oblivion tier potato npcs without turning them into barbie dolls, no helmet hack is also nice so you don't have to look at the hideous mage hats and light armor helmets all the time.

Absinthe

Arcane
I'm personally not a fan of Dragon Age Redesigned. On the graphics front Theta HD and Some Dalish Textures help.

Last edited:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In

I'd also add Dragon Age Redesigned to fix a lot of the almost Oblivion tier potato npcs without turning them into barbie dolls, no helmet hack is also nice so you don't have to look at the hideous mage hats and light armor helmets all the time.
Comparing DA:O's NPCs to Oblivion's is ridiculous. Whether you think Dragon Age Redesigned is an improvement is up to personal taste.

Starwars

Arcane
Forgot how many whore-y characters are in this game, including my main character. I have demanded kisses from two women in Redcliffe as reward for resolving quests, I've listened to Leliana talk about about the excitment and mystery of the young chaste girls at the chantry, and I've had Morrigan complain about her tent being cold and then proceeding to warm it up with a fantastically awkward sex scene. I also got a kiss as reward for giving her a book.

:shredder:

What would poor Parvati say to all this perversion?

Falksi

Arcane
Forgot how many whore-y characters are in this game, including my main character. I have demanded kisses from two women in Redcliffe as reward for resolving quests, I've listened to Leliana talk about about the excitment and mystery of the young chaste girls at the chantry, and I've had Morrigan complain about her tent being cold and then proceeding to warm it up with a fantastically awkward sex scene. I also got a kiss as reward for giving her a book.

:shredder:

What would poor Parvati say to all this perversion?

I think that's one of the reasons I really like it. It's simplistic & traditional roots are just fun to ride. You're good, here's a big bad thing to kill, now go adventure, kill it, and fuck everything you can along the way.

It's how life should be really.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom