Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mortmal

Arcane
Are they even making this game?
They are probably working on something,but gone are the days of the small indie divine divinity studio, gone the devs showing their kicstarter progress on multiple YouTube videos . We are so beneath them they dont even communicate about gameplay anymore, its a corporation in bed with google stadia rolling in cash now.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I couldn’t quite fully realize why I don’t like Original Sins in the first place. Yes it’s the retarted RPG mechanic, stupid art style reminding me of 90s Disney production, and mini games involving generic environment “points of interaction” stuff. But honestly most of all I hate their engine. Really, it looks so fucking cheap so I couldn’t bear playing this shit for more than two hours (combining both the first game and the sequel).

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I couldn’t quite fully realize why I don’t like Original Sins in the first place. Yes it’s the retarted RPG mechanic, stupid art style reminding me of 90s Disney production, and mini games involving generic environment “points of interaction” stuff. But honestly most of all I hate their engine. Really, it looks so fucking cheap so I couldn’t bear playing this shit for more than two hours (combining both the first game and the sequel).

Meh, Deadfire engine is a lot worse. Divinity runs and loads fast. Divinity is cartoony but don't let this stop you.

CyberModuled

Savant
gone the devs showing their kicstarter progress on multiple YouTube videos
Didn't they literally say that they were going to do update videos for BG3 with a fucking update video once the announcement trailer on Stadia was shown?

I agree that the severe lack of updates or general content news between the announcement trailer and whenever the next big content drip is obnoxious but that's fucking PR for you. Literally the entire point of this news drought is to keep having you guys talk about what 3 is going to be like/how it's going to play/what lore it's going to abide to and all you chuckle fucks are falling for it.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
BG3-related part from an interview by IGN Southeast Asia:

The game we're making, Baldur's Gate 3, is an insanely big game. It's super complex for us to develop for the players and it's a really complex game to make. Given the size of it, we all need the help we can get to make it.

We started out with the idea of how large we're going to be but we're always wrong. I mean with Baldur's Gate 3, we've made a lot of iterations but it's always the same mistake and it’s bigger than we expected. It's because we take things to the next level and decide many options like, "Wouldn't that be cool, wouldn't those be cool, yeah?" (laughs).

We try to reward exploration and experimentation for the players. That means we probably put an irrational amount of effort that only a few people will see but we think that would be really cool to see in the game. But the thing is that when the players discover that, it becomes a very big advocate for the game because I never expected that possibility. There's a lot of passion that goes into making this game obviously.

[talking about Fallen Heroes]

So it's a spin-off game? Why not just go straight to Divinity: Original Sin 3?

Swen: (laughs) Yeah, it's a spin-off game. Well, we're making Baldur's Gate 3 so it's consuming all our efforts. It's not a simple game to make.

Larian is making Baldur's Gate 3 now and Baldur's Gate is such a beloved franchise. How are you going to live up with the fans' expectations?

Swen: I don't think we can live up to the expectations. I think that's impossible. Those expectations are soaring through to the roof. What we're doing is we're making our type of Dungeons & Dragons with a lot of love for what came before and with also putting our own stamp on it.

That's literally the only way we could approach it. We don't want to make a clone of Baldur's Gate 2. We want to make Baldur's Gate 3. It's based on the 5th edition of Dungeons & Dragons so there's a lot of stuff that I think that we're going to add into it. There are also innovations and things you haven't seen before but we'll never know which one the fans are going to like it or not. I hope the fans like it because we put a lot of effort into it.

Have you asked the previous developers BioWare and Interplay about making Baldur's Gate 3?

Swen: Well, the team who made previous Baldur's Gate games have spread around but we talked to a whole lot of them. We chatted with them about how to do it. We also talked to the people of Wizards of the Coast obviously since they're the owner of Dungeons & Dragons. So we came up with something that I think it's good. We'll see.

I'm fascinated by how you're able to translate tabletop gameplay to video games. Tabletop games are quite complex already. Will Baldur's Gate 3 has the gameplay mechanics similar to Divinity: Original Sin?

Swen: No, it's not the same as Divinity: Original Sin. It's very different at its core. For me, the biggest difference is probably the class-based gameplay. The similarity, however, is that both Divinity: Original Sin and Baldur's Gate 3 will try to give you a lot of player agency. You decide to do something. The Dungeon Master thinks and says, "Sure, roll D20". They just check and we'll see if it goes or not. That's the fun of it.

We're trying to do the same but in a video game, the game itself becomes the Dungeon Master. So we have to figure out upfront on what you're going to be doing, for example, in terms of stupidity and have the game world reacts to you. That's what we want to try. I think we have cool stuff in there.

Saerain

Augur
Patron
Only degenerates would roll a halfling character in the first place so it doesn't matter to me what they look like.
B-but I want ye olde halfling waifu size queen.

6.jpg

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
BG3-related part from an interview by IGN Southeast Asia:

We started out with the idea of how large we're going to be but we're always wrong. I mean with Baldur's Gate 3, we've made a lot of iterations but it's always the same mistake and it’s bigger than we expected. It's because we take things to the next level and decide many options like, "Wouldn't that be cool, wouldn't those be cool, yeah?" (laughs).

Ha, this reminds me of a sign at one of the tombstones at the Nashkel cemetery: “This game will be the end of mine. Ray.”

Saerain

Augur
Patron

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Aren't those tags put there by other people? That Shared/Split Screen thing kinda gives it away.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I am more worried about them having 4 studios all working on BG3 than the tags themselves.
The more people on the payroll, the more the game has to appeal to masses.

Self-Ejected

Lichtbringer

Self-Ejected
The more people on the payroll, the more the game has to appeal to masses.
Correct, and Larian has 200+ people working on the game.

The chances that this game is turn-based are therefore slim. I'm expecting a Diablo/WoW/Baldur's Gate hybrid with fast paced multiplayer action - and the kids will love it.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
D:OS2 also has online PvP as a bonus, actually I think this is great feature that lets you to re-use characters you finished the game with and try them against other players

The chances that this game is real-time are therefore slim. I'm expecting a D:OS/KOTC/Baldur's Gate hybrid with a slow paced multiplayer action - and we will love it.

Codex Year of the Donut
D:OS2 also has online PvP as a bonus, actually I think this is great feature that lets you to re-use characters you finished the game with and try them against other players

The chances that this game is real-time are therefore slim. I'm expecting a D:OS/KOTC/Baldur's Gate hybrid with a slow paced multiplayer action - and we will love it.
Larian spent 15 years barely scraping by making real-time games at publisher demands(because "turn-based doesn't sell", according to publishers,) then Swen — who has admitted this himself — decided to make turn based games because it's what he wanted to make. And as we all know, that definitely wasn't a mega-hit and didn't lead to a sequel that sold extremely well.
Yeah, I'm sure their next game will be real-time.
Are you guys insane?

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Baldur's Gate 3 will get torn apart if it's RTwP. The one thing that isn't decline about modern gaming is that the current generation of casual/non-hardcore gamers know that RTwP sucks, a development which Larian no doubt contributed to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom