Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Thonius

Arcane
Oh right... completely forgot that there is shitty Game IV and thus codex thread about it... anyway signing in to tell everyone that this shit IV will suck. Cherio!

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Open areas I like the idea, but they should be more special and have more detail. Going out of Jail into semi-big Cathedral building with painted walls and stained glass is good. But then it's 3 levels of same grey walls again.
Going into desert is ok, but not if there are 3 levels of open desert to cross.

Yes, they shoud have made the Catacombs tileset or the Jail tileset different. Also add more (and different!) caves to replace 2-3 of the open world areas. Wrap Cold Plains and the Blood Moor into one, follow up with merging the Dark Wood and the Black Marsh (and perhaps the Tamoe Highland) and expanding the caves between the Stony Field and the Dark Wood. Repeat the process for all the other Acts.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
so have everybodys autist feelings calmed down abit now?

Hoping to get more info from blizzurd soon.

kek
Have you finally become homosexual to cope with how much butthurt you get or are you still living in denial?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
No other genre suffers the cancer of players masturbating over the numbers going up. In most other genres players don't even see the actual numbers.
Take Doom for instance - no one has ever complained that you don't replace your basic shotgun by one that does a few millions damage but the enemies are bloated accordingly.

Amazing analogy.

Also, many shooters who puts """rpg elements""" only make it to make the game a looter and more gear dependent. RPG elements in shooters should be making the game more akin to FNV. And guess what. On FNV you don't have a Anti Materiel Rifle dealing 50 damage and another dealing 5 trillion damage. With all perks, the damage goes from 110 to 130. And explosive ammo is not a ultimate skill on 180 second cooldown. Is a expensive type of ammo who few vendors have in limited amount on stock; Armor works in a better way. SMG's outDPS rifles vs unarmored targets but are useless vs heavily armored enemies. In most generic mmos, armor just absorbs a % of damage, doesn't matter if is a 9mm hollow point or a .308 AP.

anden

Literate
Meh, I'm waiting ExileCon and PoE 4.0 for some real arpg gaming, cos as they said, Diablo 4 is Not even 'Blizzard soon'

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Feel free to create your own game with locational organ damage and 3 week healing of minor injuries where nobody every gets significantly stronger and the greatest warriors the world has ever known can be killed by an infected rat bite. I'm sure it'll sell like hotcakes. :roll:

Shadenuat

Arcane
86535122.jpg

Grots (aka vile moms) each and every one spawn little adds. Furthermore, here 2 unique grots spawned, additionaly to a 3d pack to the left. (NM difficulty)

Now, game generally begins these monsters in A1 with shamans + fallen; but usually u'd find 1-3 shamans + horde of fallen. The rest is easy - kill shamans, and fallen are fairly useless they can't even damage you.
Same tactic goes for undead mages and skeletons in A2. Extremely annoying if there are many of them though, due to Shamans being weak, but undead mages being very tough.
However, instead of following similar formula, A4 decides that enemy that spawns multiple enemies should also come in packs. Now I am packing level 20 summons, AoE stun, an exceptional unique weapon and merc with runeword halberd, and even I have trouble with clearing everything out quickly; but at least slowly I eventually would kill them all, and I can even collect potions and gather loot while wolves hold the line.

But what of a simple boi with sword and shield without AoE damage or summons and unlucky with good equipment?

Now, imagine game set a limit to these enemies:
on Normal, they would be Solitary
on Nightmare, they could appear in groups of 1-2
on Hell, their spawns would get their properties/extra effects
also increase their size to look like they're big an stronk.

together with them, game would spawn 1-2 mana burning ghosts
or a venom lord
and/or 1 oblivion knight + 1-3 hell knights

For Sorceress, ele druid, hammerdin, whirlwind barb, trapsin or corpse explosion necro, it would honestly all be the same probably (although variating resistances would be an issue for everyone except necro and hammerdin); it doesn't matter for them if there are 2 spawners or 22, it's all free xp for aoe spells.

But for any melee build and just in general, it would provide better variation and better experience. +hey maybe with less monsters you could just nerf all the biggest aoes.
Also, it just feels wrong to have enemies that serve as "breeders" to spawn in packs.

Do you need 3 trillion australian doraz to do this? I don't think so; it's just a different way of drawing spawns from the pre-existing lists. It's just that instead of groups you could spawn them in "parties". I am not sure, perhaps game does this with shamans+fallen and helknights+oblivion knights?

Guess there is also something to be said about that in NM and Hell, monster level equals to level of its area instead of monster being "custom crafted"; and there are more monsters spawned; which shows that NM and Hell are more of an afterthought than a "true" continuation of the game.

No wonder so many skills in the game are not just not competetive, but simply unviable not for just building; but even for leveling.

Oddly enough, I am not sure PoE spawns enemies in "parties"; I think it also spawns packs of the same. Not that it matters in that game where you kill whole screens per second.

they have a decently purist approach, but also added some PoE things such as melee splash jewel
This is an equivalent of a bucket used to remove water from leaking boat.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Also I find it funny that they never managed to patch swapped quest icons in Act 4 for first 2 quests.
was blizzard always so sloppy? i take back everything i got +3 scythe

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
86535210.jpg

:neveraskedforthis:

86535211.jpg

:fuuyeah:

i also got shit amz bow and trang goul gloves whatdafuq :lol:

actually Kaku doesn't look terrible I remember it being bad but seems like they buffed it
also I got IK helmet 10 mins later WHAT IS HAPPENIN

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
Itemization makes up for this unless you Multiplayer.
Not quite given that you can grind and do boss runs.

If SP wasn't encumbared with MMO-lite mechanics, then yes, it would help, although existence and implementation of set items suggests that grind is the intended way of playing.

Generally I think combination of deterministic and rogue-like skills would have worked.
Absolutely. There are different ways to combine them too.

Open areas I like the idea, but they should be more special and have more detail. Going out of Jail into semi-big Cathedral building with painted walls and stained glass is good. But then it's 3 levels of same grey walls again.
Going into desert is ok, but not if there are 3 levels of open desert to cross.
Agreed.
Open areas could be nice if they weren't the meat of the game (leading somewhere instead of game being mostly set there) and if they were atmospheric and structured.
Devs should have asked themselves the question how given area fits in Diablo.

Derping around in meadows/desert/jungleswamp doesn't feel particularly Diablo-like.
Dark woods, a mountain pass while journeying east, with assortment of dubiously human cloaked raiders trying to stop you (and cold based hazards), swamps to be crossed with some monsters, drowned undead and outcasts of civilization practicing dark magic or desert with more cloaked raiders and some elemental hazards would have worked.

Feel free to create your own game with locational organ damage and 3 week healing of minor injuries where nobody every gets significantly stronger and the greatest warriors the world has ever known can be killed by an infected rat bite. I'm sure it'll sell like hotcakes. :roll:
I think locational organ damage is exactly what happened to you. Seriously, apply that ice.
Applying straw will only make the irritation worse.

Amazing analogy.

Also, many shooters who puts """rpg elements""" only make it to make the game a looter and more gear dependent. RPG elements in shooters should be making the game more akin to FNV. And guess what. On FNV you don't have a Anti Materiel Rifle dealing 50 damage and another dealing 5 trillion damage. With all perks, the damage goes from 110 to 130. And explosive ammo is not a ultimate skill on 180 second cooldown. Is a expensive type of ammo who few vendors have in limited amount on stock; Armor works in a better way. SMG's outDPS rifles vs unarmored targets but are useless vs heavily armored enemies. In most generic mmos, armor just absorbs a % of damage, doesn't matter if is a 9mm hollow point or a .308 AP.
Careful, you might make Damned Registrations spontaneously combust.
+M

Shadenuat

Arcane
looks like some cool, intricate skill and boss animations and mechanics

and I would still rather eat nails than play something like that.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Some unrealistic elements are ok. Nobody expect a realistic inventory management on anything but a hardcore survival horror game where you don't wanna your guy running around with a arsenal in his backpack. But the ludicrous number inflation, stats 100% tied to gear, cooldowns and other BS doesn't improve the gameplay.

Shadenuat

Arcane
If SP wasn't encumbared with MMO-lite mechanics, then yes, it would help, although existence and implementation of set items suggests that grind is the intended way of playing.
When I feel like my progress is blocked in D2 and I need to farm some I just re-roll a new character :neveraskedforthis: which means casters get to level 87; and melee barbs get to nightmare and stop there. :M

Also, I don't know what they intended with set items; they stated they're like prebuilds for newbies; but considering half of them are trash and others are high level and are a pain to collect and are still mostly weaker than what you can scrap yourself, I don't know what was their idea at all.

Whatever they intended; they made an itemization and skill system powerful enough maybe by accident to finish game basically naked, so if they wanted to make it grindy, they badly failed :lol:

but then of course they "fixed" it all in D3 with infinite trash loot and infinite maps etc.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
d4 weapons looked fine on pictures
like that sword

375089.jpg

they just need to allow that witcher dude work and not bother him

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Looks like we might never see an arpg without massively oversized weaponry ever again. Thank you, WoW. Thank you, anime. STOP

Yep. Is thanks to WoW that most modern BS exist. Oversized weaponry, stats 100% tied to gear, cooldowns, stilized arstyle, etc.

But Diablo 1 art was amazing. This is a heavily armored guy with a axe

warrior_small.gif

On Gothic
iu

This is wow armor set

iu

iu

Shadenuat

Arcane
I find it ironic that Blizz tried so hard to plagiarize on Warhammer which varies from cartoony good vs evil toystoldier to noblebright to historically inspired; and Blizz-thing failed at replicating any of it

jvvhZg5.jpg

729a71c3968029d661be4e636303bbd0.jpg

f44a6c43ae4224a7e70e0baf478a3d3b.jpg

although GW themselves with their fiasco and destruction of Old World and new fantasyh marines failed at their own thing as well so i guess: checkmate englishmen

everyone loses.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom