Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tim Sweeney sets out to destroy Unity

hexer

It seems there's no end to Tim Sweeney's machiavellianism.
As of today, Epic Games acquired Quixel and made entire Megascans library available to Unreal developers for free.
Without any alternative, it's just a matter of day when Unity will be forgotten and discarded - at least by developers who aim for photorealism

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/epic-games-and-quixel-join-forces-to-empower-creators
https://quixel.com/blog/2019/11/12/quixel-joins-forces-with-epic-games

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Are there any Unity games aiming for photorealism in the first place? It seems like cryengine is the main competitor to unreal in that segment.

hexer

Yeah, none that I know of but they've been struggling to break into that spotlight for the last year or two.
This was a kick in the nuts I don't think they'll recover from.
Megascans has no alternative right now

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I don't think this will be direct threat to Unity's current dominance on low-to-mid-end games, but will certainly undermine its recent effort to expand on high-end photo-realistic games.

hexer

Yeah, it's definitively worrisome for more ambitious projects.
As of now, Unity hasn't even stabilized its new AAA lightning system, HDRP,
which when it comes out in a month or two will at best produce results from 2016.-2017. games.

They're branching all over the place.. games, movies, simulation, architecture, etc.
10 or more actively supported different versions at the same time.
Currently it's a mess!

Mustawd

Don’t see how this is Epic’s fault. More like Unity just can’t compete head to head.

hexer

Funny thing is Unity depended on Megascans' existing and exclusive assets to show off their latest tech demos.

I wonder what are they thinking now... probably drawing out straws to determine who will be the next guy to
climb the mountain, brave the wilderness and photoscan those perfect rocks and trees for their next demo :lol:

DeepOcean

Arcane
As if making games was just about adding some textures.

All those photorealistic stuff is useless for a developer without the manpower to properly use it (like most indie devs), someone needs to sculpt realistic models to use those textures, someone needs to do the animations of those models, someone needs to mess with shaders and lighting to make things look good, do photoshop to change the textures, etc.. Good luck with that if you only have 3 people on your team and want to make a game that doesn't look like a steam asset flip .

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Waiting for Death Strapping and hundreds of photogrammetry walking sim asset flips.

Codex Year of the Donut
There doesn't seem to be any license restrictions on the usage of the assets ergo nothing is stopping anyone from using them.

passerby

Arcane
Funny thing is Unity depended on Megascans' existing and exclusive assets to show off their latest tech demos.

I wonder what are they thinking now... probably drawing out straws to determine who will be the next guy to
climb the mountain, brave the wilderness and photoscan those perfect rocks and trees for their next demo :lol:
There doesn't seem to be any license restrictions on the usage of the assets ergo nothing is stopping anyone from using them.

If you've watched this announcement video, you'd knew that they've cut prices in half for everyone and made it free to use with UE.

hexer

If you've watched this announcement video, you'd knew that they've cut prices in half for everyone and made it free to use with UE.

Yeah UE users get it all of it for free, others have to pay.
But I've seen reports of people going around these restrictions somehow by linking UE account to Mixer and then exporting to Unity.
Haven't tried it so I can't confirm

Ultrarealism will be the death of style. Massive decline.

Of course, nothing beats reality itself

Rodcocker

Arbiter
I just wish there was a well supported/documented 2D game engine that had the tooling of Unity / UE4 without all the bloat for 3D shizz.

Rodcocker

Arbiter
I just wish there was a well supported/documented 2D game engine that had the tooling of Unity / UE4 without all the bloat for 3D shizz.

GameMaker Studio 2?
Plenty of successful 2D games were built on it by non-programmers.

It seems the obvious choice - definately good for shoot em up 2D, but I'm more interested in turn based / simulation stuff. I find the language just way too slim line for that kind of thing. Can't even declare a struct without some hacky stuff... I like the GUI and everything, just find the scripting falling way to too short for what I want to do. Shame.

Shinji

Savant
Godot had the opportunity to be that engine, but some genius decided it was a good idea to compete with Unity/Epic and focus on 3D.
So that leaves GameMaker as the only decent 2D game engine (with a good toolset) available.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom