Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Wayward Realms - upcoming Daggerfall-like RPG from original Elder Scrolls developers - coming to Kickstarter

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
They indeed want to have a 'DM AI' control the game world..... holy f*** this IS BIG

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
- Nobody in the RPG industry has done a 'story engine' that we think will change how RPG's are done, we want to feel like it will be a DM sitting in front of you and reacting to what you do (Julian saying it was very primitive in Daggerfall)

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
- Nobody in the RPG industry has done a 'story engine' that we think will change how RPG's are done, we want to feel like it will be a DM sitting in front of you and reacting to what you do (Julian saying it was very primitive in Daggerfall)

They should notify Elon Musk

mindfields

Learned
- procedural storytelling is a realistic thing, the game will tell the story around your actions rather than being a predefined story like in a typical game.
- they want to have best of both worlds, procedural content together with hand crafted content

Yes, more procedural generation is the answer to everything!

Why bother coming up with engaging stories and memorable events when you can just use a bot?
They're making Daggerfall 2.0. It was always going to use procedural generation.
I hope that the game doesn't have all the horrible things DF had then, like quests being useless (giving you a tiny amount of gold and no XP). Also get rid of learn-by-doing and have you instead spend skill points when levelling up.
I love how retards are giving this post negative ratings. Anyone want to explain why doing a 2-hour long dungeon and then being rewarded with 20 gold and no xp is good game design?

grimace

Arcane
- procedural storytelling is a realistic thing, the game will tell the story around your actions rather than being a predefined story like in a typical game.
- they want to have best of both worlds, procedural content together with hand crafted content

Yes, more procedural generation is the answer to everything!

Why bother coming up with engaging stories and memorable events when you can just use a bot?
They're making Daggerfall 2.0. It was always going to use procedural generation.
I hope that the game doesn't have all the horrible things DF had then, like quests being useless (giving you a tiny amount of gold and no XP). Also get rid of learn-by-doing and have you instead spend skill points when levelling up.
I love how retards are giving this post negative ratings. Anyone want to explain why doing a 2-hour long dungeon and then being rewarded with 20 gold and no xp is good game design?

c3b1abnph7u31.png

Once Lost has created a chart to show that perhaps some players feel satiated after exploring a dungeon for 2 hours because they had a dungeon to explore!

The adventurer entered the dungeon, had a look around, and safely exited the dungeon. This Explorer may also be an Achiever for having Achieved their self determined goal of entering, exploring, and exiting. What a thrilling adventure that was!

Now inside this dungeon their may have been a royal socialite (let's imagine her to be a damsel in distress like a princess). The Socializer entered the dungeon, found the Princess, asked her about her day, and was "rewarded" with the conversation.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Was cautiously optimistic until Makabb started raving about it, then I just went flaccid

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
No one catched what Julian said ?

'The story engine is pretty good at this point, it's at a point where you are able to complete a quest and it will create a continuation of this for you'.

This basicaly means that this game will have a real dynamic story, every player will have 'his own story' in the game as he plays and every time you play you will be able to have a different story unfold.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

'The story engine is pretty good at this point, it's at a point where you are able to complete a quest and it will create a continuation of this for you'.

Wait so they actually have a prototype of the DM engine? I thought they werent even in pre-production.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Wait so they actually have a prototype of the DM engine? I thought they werent even in pre-production.

So you didn't watch the video at all that you posted? julian says that around 2:30, he was making the DM engine for years as he was doing his day job as an educational programmer.

Molina

Savant

Julian's point of view has always been that with a dozen motivated devs, they could do the 100 dev work of an AAA studio in a shorter period of time.

Molina

Savant
The longest thing in this project, I think, will be to provide a satisfactory number of assets to avoid redundancy. Plus the collision bugs, I think.

LudensCogitet

Learned
Sounds like Julian already got the engine created.
Where did you get this impression?I heard some vague talk about how other things some of them had been working on (in educational software?) were developing these concepts, but I didn't hear anything about an engine.

I'm definitely following this project with interest, and I sincerely hope it turns into something great, but it's very early stages and we all know how real the over-hyping is by players and devs alike. I'm staying cautious.

Also feeling more than a little burned right now by The Outer Worlds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom