Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
This post caused me to create this topic. In that topic, people were saying that third-rate RPGs were "perfect", which is ridiculous. I don't even think Jagged Alliance 2 is perfect.

Masterpiece: A work of outstanding skill, mastery or workmanship.

Note how it says "a work". In other words, it isn't enough for an RPG to have great this or great that, but fail elsewhere. When taken as a whole, the RPG must equate to a masterpiece. Thus, Troika games are out despite my undying love for them.

There are not many masterpieces. Off-hand, and in no particular order:

- Fallout (PC)
- Deus Ex (PC)
- Jagged Alliance 2 (PC)
- Warband (PC)
- Diablo (PC)
- Darklands (PC)
- Wasteland (C=64)
- Captive (Amiga)
- Hired Guns (Amiga)
- Dungeon Master (Atari ST)

I can call any of these masterpieces with a straight face. There are others, of course, but that's what I can think of, off-hand.

So what, to your mind, are examples of genre masterpieces?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fallout 2
BG 2
JA 2 (if we indeed consider it an RPG as Lilura insists)
ToEE
VtM: Bloodlines

Probably more but that's the first that come in mind

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Knights of the Old Republic 2

The RPG is not even complete. A masterpiece is a complete work that invokes a degree of awe. It is more arguable that KotOR 2 is worthless.

Planescape: Torment

The game is a major mess. Masterpieces are never messes. Thus, PS:T is easily eliminated from the equation.

Fallout: New Vegas - Dead Money.

A glorified mod built on the Oblivion With Guns popamole engine. Thus, it can never be considered a masterpiece.

Sentinel

Arcane
Knights of the Old Republic 2

The RPG is not even complete. A masterpiece is a complete work that invokes a degree of awe. It is more arguable that KotOR 2 is worthless.

Planescape: Torment

The game is a major mess. Masterpieces are never messes. Thus, PS:T is easily eliminated from the equation.

Fallout: New Vegas - Dead Money.

A glorified mod built on the Oblivion With Guns popamole engine. Thus, it can never be considered a masterpiece.
I'm just going to assume that you either never played Deus Ex, or are a total hypocrite. Considering your post history, probably the latter.

d1nolore

Savant
As much as I loved Vtm:b it was oh so horridly buggy on release and still so with only official patches.

d1nolore

Savant
This post caused me to create this topic. In that topic, people were saying that third-rate RPGs were "perfect", which is ridiculous. I don't even think Jagged Alliance 2 is perfect.

Masterpiece: A work of outstanding skill, mastery or workmanship.

Note how it says "a work". In other words, it isn't enough for an RPG to have great this or great that, but fail elsewhere. When taken as a whole, the RPG must equate to a masterpiece. Thus, Troika games are out despite my undying love for them.

There are not many masterpieces. Off-hand, and in no particular order:

- Fallout (PC)
- Deus Ex (PC)
- Jagged Alliance 2 (PC)
- Warband (PC)
- Diablo (PC)
- Darklands (PC)
- Wasteland (C=64)
- Captive (Amiga)
- Hired Guns (Amiga)
- Dungeon Master (Atari ST)

I can call any of these masterpieces with a straight face. There are others, of course, but that's what I can think of, off-hand.

So what, to your mind, are examples of genre masterpieces?

Curious why you put Diablo on the list, you don't seem the type.

d1nolore

Savant
Which Might & Magic would people point to as the best or closest to a masterpiece? I've only played 2 of them

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Wizardry 1
Dungeon Master
Pool of Radiance
Chaos Strikes Back
Ultima Underworld
Diablo
Diablo 2
Deus Ex

Flawed masterpieces:
Darklands
Disciples of Steel
Fallout 1
Fallout 2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom