Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warcraft III: Reforged - now with lowest user metacritic score of all time

Vatnik Wumao
I don't think that it'll happen, whydoibother. Just think that it would be nice were it so.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I don't think that it'll happen, whydoibother. Just think that it would be nice were it so.
The custom games revival bit? Its iffy, all the yesteryear's modders are today's indie devs, what with free engines and Steam publishing making it possible to go at it with a small team. But Age of Empires 2 HD had a strong re-launch on Steam, regularly several thousand players online, it revived the game. And with DOTA2 spawning that Autochess genre via a custom map, maybe more people will be giving it a go in the old World Editor. I imagine thats why they want to rush it out, capture the lightning.
Overall I think Warcraft III players will more be more than double what they are today, even a year from release. The playerbase will grow, with nostalgic people coming back and some staying, with Starcraft 2 refugees, and with new fans realizing RTS is actually a fun genre, despite being dead for a decade.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
This whole game was not needed at all. Warcraft 3 stands on its own and its old timey graphics are endearing.

The only thing i would have liked is an improvement over the AI for single player and custom games. The AI is one of the things they actually did right in Stacraft 2. Instead of wasting time shoving wokeness nobody asked for they could do things like that since they already decided they are going to mess with the original instead of keeping it the same like they did with the Starcraft remaster.

I also read they are going to add more single player maps and "story". Prepare for even MORE Sylvanas.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
This whole game was not needed at all. Warcraft 3 stands on its own and its old timey graphics are endearing.

Its cartoony graphics were shit even when the game released and heralded an era of aesthetic deroute in Blizzard games which hasn't ended yet even if it seems D4 might finally bury it. Jury's out on the ladder

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Its cartoony graphics were shit even when the game released and heralded an era of aesthetic deroute in Blizzard games which hasn't ended yet even if it seems D4 might finally bury it. Jury's out on the ladder

That's not a valid criticism. Warcraft 2 already had cartoony graphics, so Warcraft 3 didn't do anything it's predecessors wasn't already doing. And to see just how good the visuals of Warcraft 3 actually are you just have to compare it to a contemporary like Battle Realms. Warcraft 3 felt much less like "early 3D", if you get what i mean. There's more variations to the visuals, the animations are better etc, and this makes a massive difference in online play.

No, the issue with Warcraft 3 wasn't the visuals or the style, it was the sub-par writing. A lot of the derpiness of later Blizzard started with this game. Not that their previous games were narrative masterpieces or anything, but they didn't have cringy "anime" moments like the encounter between Arthas and Illidan.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Wait what? Are we saying that Warcraft 3 was not good now? Warcraft 3 was great.

Depends which part we are talking about.

Multiplayer was good. Presentation was good. The design of the campaign was good. Tone and writing however left much to be desired and i consider Warcraft 3 to be the beginning of nu-Blizzard in a way.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wait what? Are we saying that Warcraft 3 was not good now? Warcraft 3 was great.

Depends which part we are talking about.

Multiplayer was good. Presentation was good. The design of the campaign was good. Tone and writing however left much to be desired and i consider Warcraft 3 to be the beginning of nu-Blizzard in a way.
OK yes, that I can go with. I'd say that the WC3 campaign was the last decent Blizzard campaign but you could notice sings of decline

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The night elf models are out. I don't know what's up with this remaster, but most of them (including other races) look like early alpha. Even if we discard the aesthetic shift, it still doesn't have that Blizzard polish, it looks indie at best.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Even if we discard the aesthetic shift, it still doesn't have that Blizzard polish, it looks indie at best.
It looks like an unfinished fan mod. Outsourcing to a third world country studio to make a cheap cash grab is low, even for Blizzard.

Lacrymas

Arcane
At least the release will focus people's attention on the RTS genre and other contenders might have a chance. I don't know any RTSes being developed now besides AoE4 and A Year of Rain, though, but both look shit.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Yeah I've refunded this... Just too many problems and the (questionable) upgrade isn't worth the cost.

My computer which can run most AAA games in 1440p ultra 60 fps was getting like 5 fps on the fucking menu screen. Also since apparently there's crossplay between the OG WC3 and this, if custom games actually do get revived I can still just play them in the OG game.

Olinser

Savant
Will they make Warcraft 3 free to play as they did with Starcaft when they remastered it?

With the current direction of Activision Blizzard they'll probably make it 'free to play' and charge you $5 for each individual campaign and another $5 to play custom games or ladder.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/warcraft3/23237899/warcraft-iii-reforged-releases-on-january-28-2020

WARCRAFT III: REFORGED RELEASES ON JANUARY 28, 2020

BH7HQWEVCV7B1571781106843.jpg

The drums of war thunder once again. Warcraft III: Reforged—the recreation of Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne—will be available at 3 p.m. PST on January 28, 2020.

Though we’ve been working hard to get Reforged in your hands before the end of the year, as we started approaching the finish line, we felt we’d need a little extra development time for finishing touches. As always, our goal is to honor the high standards you hold us to.

Step Back in Time
Warcraft III: Reforged takes you back to a tumultuous time in Azeroth’s history, when a dark shadow eclipsed a peaceful land, the world trembled before the coming of the Burning Legion, and heroes risked it all to prevent the death of their world.

Soon you’ll be able to relive the definitive real-time strategy classic, with revitalized visuals, an epic single-player campaign spanning over 60 missions, rebalanced online play, a suite of contemporary social and matchmaking features, a vast universe of player-created games, and more.

Welcome Back to War
You can pre-purchase the standard edition of Warcraft III: Reforged digitally now from the Blizzard Shop for $29.99—or for $39.99, you can pick up the Spoils of War Edition, which includes a host of extras as well as in-game bonuses for other Blizzard games that will unlock immediately upon pre-purchase. In addition, players who pre-purchase either version will get access to the ongoing beta test for Warcraft III: Reforged.

See below for all the bonus items included in the Spoils of War Edition:
  • Warcraft III: Reforged
    • Champion of the Horde Thrall Hero Skin
    • Daughter of the Seas Proudmoore Hero Skin
    • Fallen King Arthas Hero Skin
    • Emerald Nightmare Cenarius Hero Skin
  • World of Warcraft
    • Meat Wagon Mount
  • Overwatch
    • Player Icons: Human, Orc, Undead, Night Elf, and Lich King
    • Animated Sprays: Footman, Grunt, Ghoul, and Archer
  • Diablo III
    • Mal’ganis pet
  • Hearthstone
    • Third War card back
  • Heroes of the Storm
    • Anub’arak Hero
    • Jaina Hero
    • Thrall Hero
    • Tyrande Hero
  • StarCraft II
    • Alliance Console Skin
    • Horde Console Skin
    • Sentinels Console Skin
    • Scourge Console Skin
  • StarCraft: Remastered
    • Spoils of War Console
Charging Toward Battle
We’re looking forward to kicking off whole new era of Warcraft III, and we can’t wait to face off with your mighty armies online starting January 28!

Olinser

Savant
It's nowhere near ready lol

Yep. They've clearly decided that the amount of money and effort it would require to meaningfully improve what they have isn't worth it at this point, so they're going with the Obvious Beta release, with a small team to fix some of the GLARING bugs as they get found.

Blizzard is dead. It's Activision Blizzard now.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'd be pissed if I pre-ordered this abomination. It doesn't even look "good enough", it obviously needs quite a lot more polish.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom