Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Fallout: New Vegas - Dead Money.

A glorified mod built on the Oblivion With Guns popamole engine. Thus, it can never be considered a masterpiece.

Inserting Bad Dragon dildos up your ass doesn't make you a dragon lady.

biggestboss

Liturgist
Things Dark Souls 2 does right:
-Atmosphere
-Environments
-Story (subjective) - I do actualy like the relatively lower stakes story in 2

Things Dark Souls 2 does wrong:
-Connection between environments - Certain locations segue into each other in extremely nonsensical ways (especially the lava level), also one of my most favorite quotes by a human ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UScsme8didI&t=18m49s
-Encounter design - way too many hordes and git gud fights for the sake of being difficult which plagued the series starting with 2 and culminating in Suckiro
-Lazy copy-pasted bossfights that later on become lazy copy-pasted trashfights in areas that don't even make sense to contain said enemies
-Going from full analog 360 degree movement to 8-way walk/run (movement snaps to up, down, left, right, and diagonals)
-Many enemy and boss attacks have horrible hitboxes, especially grab moves, which taint a lot of fights that otherwise would be generally great or even amazing (Sir Alonne for example)
-Having Estus Flasks and consumable healing makes no sense from a design or practical perspective

Last edited:

Curratum

Things Dark Souls 2 does right:
-Atmosphere
-Environments
-Story (subjective) - I do actualy like the relatively lower stakes story in 2

Things Dark Souls 2 does wrong:
-Connection between environments - Certain locations segue into each other in extremely nonsensical ways (especially the lava level), also one of my most favorite quotes by a human ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UScsme8didI&t=18m49s
-Encounter design - way too many hordes and git gud fights for the sake of being difficult which plagued the series starting with 2 and culminating in Suckiro
-Lazy copy-pasted bossfights that later on become lazy copy-pasted trashfights in areas that don't even make sense to contain said enemies
-Going from full analog 360 degree movement to 8-way walk/run (movement snaps to up, down, left, right, and diagonals)
-Many enemy and boss attacks have horrible hitboxes, especially grab moves, which taint a lot of fights that otherwise would be generally great or even amazing (Sir Alonne for example)
-Having Estus Flasks and consumable healing makes no sense from a design or practical perspective

I wouldn't argue any of the negatives here. It's just that I am HUUUUGE on the atmosphere and environments of the game. Everything clicks and works for me, I GET the places, I feel the feels I imagine they are designed to provoke, and that's huge to me in a game.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
751_Deus_20Ex_20PS2_20Pack-PAL.jpg

Deleted Member 16721

A masterpiece to me is looser than Liluras definition. It is a game that is perfect even with its imperfections. My list would go something like:

Morrowind
Gothic 1
Master of Magic
Icewind Dale
Lords of Xulima
Avernum Escape From the Pit
Baldur's Gate 1
Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines
Planescape Torment
Disco Elysium
The Outer Worlds
Fallout New Vegas
Skyrim
Elminage Gothic
Kenshi
Arcanum
Fallout 1
Risen 1
ELEX
Chrono Trigger
Tides of Numenera
Final Fantasy 6, 7, 15
and a few others I'm missing off the top. Basically the most excellent RPGs that create a remarkable total package.

Last edited by a moderator:
Disappointed that no one's mentioned System Shock 2 yet.
Endgame takes a nosedive in quality.

The fact that Ultima Underworld has only been mentioned twice in this thread is appalling. For shame, Codex.

Of the Goldbox games I’d say the Kenyan games are closest. Not sure if I’d say they quite get there though.

Edit: That autocorrect. :lol: Krynn, not Kenyan.

overly excitable young man

What are even Captive and Hired Guns?
Are they thrown in there to suggest an exquisite taste?

biggestboss

Liturgist
Endgame takes a nosedive in quality.

The fact that Ultima Underworld has only been mentioned twice in this thread is appalling. For shame, Codex.

Of the Goldbox games I’d say the Kenyan games are closest. Not sure if I’d say they quite get there though.

Edit: That autocorrect. :lol: Krynn, not Kenyan.
Can't speak for everyone else, but I personally didn't want to name masterpieces that other people already named because I feel that it would just be the same three games named over and over.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
A masterpiece to me is looser than Liluras definition. It is a game that is perfect even with its imperfections. My list would go something like:

Morrowind
Gothic 1
Lords of Xulima
Avernum Escape From the Pit
Baldur's Gate 1
Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines
Planescape Torment
Disco Elysium
The Outer Worlds
Fallout New Vegas
Skyrim
Elminage Gothic
Kenshi
Arcanum
Fallout 1
Risen 1
ELEX
Chrono Trigger
Tides of Numenera
Final Fantasy 6, 7, 15
and a few others I'm missing off the top. Basically the most excellent RPGs that create a remarkable total package.
Skyrim is at best a mediocre rpg. How can it be a masterpiece?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I'd say that a masterpiece is a game that is as close to perfection as possible given its self-imposed limits

If a game innovates, it's far from perfect. If it doesn't, who cares about playing it? I bet some of the sequel-games have perfected mechanics.

Last edited:

overly excitable young man

Xin Xianjian Qixia Zhuan is definitely a masterpiece.

Deleted Member 16721

Skyrim is at best a mediocre rpg. How can it be a masterpiece?

Mediocre to who? I find it has rather high quality systems and the interplay of all the systems makes it greater than the sum of its parts. For me. I'm not claiming anything objectively, just my personal subjective masterpieces.

Deleted Member 16721

What are these systems?

I value the freedom the game offers. Freedom to create your own character, their story, explore your own path through the world. Regardless if you like Skyrim or not you must agree there aren't many RPGs at all that offer that amount of freedom throughout the game systems that supports hundreds if not thousands of hours of exploration. I happen to value that.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom