Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Splinter Cell... something. ¡Ay, caramba!

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
but at least it's still there and game can still be completed in various ways with different outcomes.
It's one of the most linear SC games ever. The level design is a boring chore, the only memorable level in the game was the Shanghai hotel (that took me about 3 minutes to remember) and the boat (boring/below average but setting was interesting). The only good thing about the game is that you can grab people out of cover, that's it.
Dunno, even the balance thing between the terrorists and agency is nice thing.
Beyond easy to max out both bars.

DA 7th gen is the very worst SC game of all. It has no good or enjoyable gameplay. It has no good or enjoyable level design. It has dogshit AI that has the worst aspects of the first 3 games but none of the good. It's also the buggiest mess of them all to boot.

blrrmmmff

Scholar
Conviction wasn't too bad as a generic action game. As a splinter cell game after Chaos theory it was horrendous. I went in with low expectations though and at least mildly entertained.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Conviction is just Max Payne without bullet time in comparison.

Not trying to defend Conviction, which I remember strongly disliking, but I think this is an exaggeration. It was still a stealth game, it just wasn't a "you can ghost it" stealth game. You basically snuck around looking for headshot opportunities and then sneaking away while the enemies freaked out, waiting to do another one. It was like being the predator, which is a stealth game method I do enjoy doing. I think a lot of people demand ghosting or else it's not a stealth game, which I disagree with. Max Payne is literally a run and gun shooter.

Hazy memories of a game I played a decade ago though.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Not trying to defend Conviction, which I remember strongly disliking, but I think this is an exaggeration. It was still a stealth game, it just wasn't a "you can ghost it" stealth game. You basically snuck around looking for headshot opportunities and then sneaking away while the enemies freaked out, waiting to do another one. It was like being the predator, which is a stealth game method I do enjoy doing. I think a lot of people demand ghosting or else it's not a stealth game, which I disagree with. Max Payne is literally a run and gun shooter.

Hazy memories of a game I played a decade ago though.
Conviction you played an Assassin. What I want to play is a Ninja!

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
You guys don't like PSX2? Its an xbox/PS2 game, remember.
And a Gamecube and Wii game, for the 6th gen versions. All versions except Xbox had static lighting all the same though, and that's no way to play a Splinter Cell game. Xbox version also had expanded levels.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Wikipedia says that Ubisoft wanted Blacklist to sell 5 million copies and it only sold 2 million. It was well received critically (and actually is a pretty good game unlike Conviction), which makes that look worse. It also has almost zero micro-transaction potential. So... not a surprise they're having trouble figuring out what to do with it in 2020.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Wikipedia says that Ubisoft wanted Blacklist to sell 5 million copies and it only sold 2 million. It was well received critically (and actually is a pretty good game unlike Conviction), which makes that look worse. It also has almost zero micro-transaction potential. So... not a surprise they're having trouble figuring out what to do with it in 2020.
I always thought that a new SC would follow the MGS V blueprint --open world and microtransactions--, specially given that Ubisoft seems to make all their games open world now. But it seems like they've completely given up on Splinter Cell. We're seeing many thief-like games, but hi-tech stealth might be completely dead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom