Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

It's time to do justice: Risen or The Witcher 2

Which game is the better one?

• Risen

Votes: 50 48.5%
  • The Witcher 2

Votes: 43 41.7%
  • Roofles! You call those RPGs? They both suck!

Votes: 10 9.7%

• Total voters

sullynathan

Arcane
On topic, Risen was shit from the few minutes I played and also ran like shit on my system which isn't as old as the game. This is indication that I was going to play a bad game so I didn't go any further. Witcher 2 wins on that regard.

it's a compeletely different thing
that it is, it isn't more complex though

sullynathan

Arcane
So you got raped by a sea vulture and maybe a wild boar in starting area, then you threw a hissy fit and quit.
The framerate raped me so I didn't continue playing. I have no clue why this game runs so poorly on two different systems I tried.

Last I played Risen it was with 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling which is a godsend for all the foliage, much improved view distances, especially for grass and 3072 shadow resolution which is 3x in game max setting at almost constant 60 fps with rare slight dips below. On GTX 1060. I don't remember having performance problems on my old system with 8800 GTS back when it was released either. Gotta say game still looks pretty good. And melee combat still highly enjoyable.

Also, anyone who thinks Witcher 2 is better than Risen is a shit taster faggot.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
I actually started playing Risen again. Still runs like shit, especially when outdoors and with a torch. Combat is shit too and still exploitable like I expect from PB and AI is dumb as hell. Jon the guy that's supposed to lead you to the farm glitched out and stopped moving,but is still available to help me clear out a camp of those Warrior monk guys. Yet at the same time I've put almost 4 hours straight.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I actually started playing Risen again. Still runs like a Piranha Bytes game especially when outdoors and with a torch. Combat is like every other Piranha Bytes game too and still exploitable like I expect from PB and AI is dumb as hell. Jon the guy that's supposed to lead you to the farm glitched out and stopped moving,but is still available to help me clear out a camp of those Warrior monk guys. Yet at the same time I've put almost 4 hours straight.

Just summarizing for you. I think a lot of the PB games are acquired taste, and since folks are only paying $3 - $10 for Risen, not as many people are willing to put up with some elements to experience the whole. Risen is a good game, but you have to be in it for the long haul, warts and all, and take time to get the feel of combat. After running into some new creature and losing 2 hours of game-play because of no auto-save outdoors, that's just difficult for some folks to recover from especially with such a low investment.

sullynathan

Arcane
I actually started playing Risen again. Still runs like a Piranha Bytes game especially when outdoors and with a torch. Combat is like every other Piranha Bytes game too and still exploitable like I expect from PB and AI is dumb as hell. Jon the guy that's supposed to lead you to the farm glitched out and stopped moving,but is still available to help me clear out a camp of those Warrior monk guys. Yet at the same time I've put almost 4 hours straight.

Just summarizing for you. I think a lot of the PB games are acquired taste, and since folks are only paying $3 - $10 for Risen, not as many people are willing to put up with some elements to experience the whole. Risen is a good game, but you have to be in it for the long haul, warts and all, and take time to get the feel of combat. After running into some new creature and losing 2 hours of game-play because of no auto-save outdoors, that's just difficult for some folks to recover from especially with such a low investment.
The game is pretty much gothic 4, down to the weed smuggling quest and its faction system. It's nice to have a game like with a more modern ui but gothic 3 was more ambitious.

Risen was a worthy, albeit lesser successor to Gothic II.

I didn't play past the intro of Witcher 2, but if Witcher 1 is any indication of its quality, it sucked.

Curratum

How am I supposed to choose between two mediocre games whose ambition was much greater than their budget and the ability of their makers at the time?

Prime Junta

Twitcher 2 is great, tightly scoped with a glorious branching path in the middle, you need at least two playthroughs to catch all of it. Also looks great and isn't a chore to play. Twitcher 3 is :decline: in many ways (although tbf also :incline: in others).

Twitcher 1 > Twitcher 2 > Twitcher 3

JDR13

Arcane
Apples & oranges.

If you want the more linear experience with superior writing, characters, and C&C, play TW2.

If exploration and having an open world are more important to you, play Risen.

barghwata

Savant
I voted that they're both shit but i am assuming witcher 2 is way better, risen started out really well, quests and characters in harbor town were really well made and quite fun, but it takes an untter downward spiral from there, the plot shifts into a mediocre "save the world from a monster" cliche, and the main story turns into a series of shitty fetch quests where you just run around looking for objects like "recover 5 crystals to open the temple's door" or "recover 5 pieces of armor to use in your battle against the final boss" and what's worst is that you're forced to fight waves of unchallenging trash mobs to finish these quests and i played in "hard" difficulty.

By the last third of the game i was already incredibly bored but i persisted in hopes that the final boss would be the payoff for all my patience, but once i got to it i have to say it was hilarious, it wasn't even a battle, it was like a game of "Dance Dance Revolution".

Nines_Anarch

Learned
Apples & oranges.

If you want the more linear experience with superior writing, characters, and C&C, play TW2.

If exploration and having an open world are more important to you, play Risen.

The developers from both companies did it better in the past. So the truth is that both games suck and failed to deliver what we were expecting from them.

I like oranges. I do not like lemon-lime.

CD Projekt RED: The Witcher 1 = Orange // The Witcher 2 = Lemon-lime.
Piranha Bytes: Gothic 1 = Orange // Risen 1 = Lemon-lime.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
The developers from both companies did it better in the past. So the truth is that both games suck and failed to deliver what we were expecting from them.

I like oranges. I do not like lemon-lime.

CD Projekt RED: The Witcher 1 = Orange // The Witcher 2 = Lemon-lime.
Piranha Bytes: Gothic 1 = Orange // Risen 1 = Lemon-lime.

163xpj.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom