Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Oh my god I did it lads.

gmCv14K.png

Why do you have 14,716 pouches of Dust of Disappearance?

You're not cheating, are you?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Oh. Oops. lol.

The small portion of yellow trim at the bottom of the pouch actually makes the / look like a 7.

My apologies for the accusation. Carry on.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Terrormites made my Necromancer lose spirit in fear, to which I responded by casting bless on him like I usually do to regain spirit. I haven't tried replicating it, but my Necromancer became cursed when I blessed him :rpgcodex:

I might be wrong, but being a duck might help with swimming there. Or being something else helps with catching the quicksilver fish? Either way, this thing wasn't just for lulz, of that I am fairly certain.
I just caught the fish with my character who has 69 speed, since speed description says it's used for reaction time checks. And the only time I swam was like 4 squares to reach the outlet where the turtle was after I used my scrying crystal to reveal the map. I use the turtle to travel over water. Even with my characters who have 30 swimming, they lose all vitality and then die after 1-2 squares of water.

Why do you have 14,716 pouches of Dust of Disappearance?

You're not cheating, are you?
That's a bag to hold magic items in, old man. As if I would risk running Zep's software and get my computer infected with the gay.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Terrormites made my Necromancer lose spirit in fear, to which I responded by casting bless on him like I usually do to regain spirit. I haven't tried replicating it, but my Necromancer became cursed when I blessed him :rpgcodex:

As designed. Many spells have different effects depending on the context.

The Necromancer is getting some serious beefup in the next release, persevering with them they will likely end up one of the best classes.

Swimming is never meant to be easy. I adjusted it many times to mimic Crusaders Wiz 7 to make sure that swimming any length is always much harder than hitching a ride on some kind of flotation device, be it a turtle, seahorse or boat. I swam all the way across the sea in Crusaders by casting spells to restore vitality over and over again. Even then, it was not easy. I thought this made perfect sense even with 100 swimming skill.

Most of the mechanics in Grimoire come from playing Crusaders and watching the way the math works very carefully and then trying to mimic it exactly. I was that impressed by the balance in the game and the general bezier curves of skills versus effort.

Crusaders continues to this day to achieving an almost perfect balance in these things. Just because it has exploits like the Nuclear Pineapple does not mean it is unbalanced at all. In fact, having exploits makes the game ten times more fun. I was trying to get that zeitgeist into Grimoire. I did it by playing CDS and then playing Grimoire and adjusting the math to try to sync them. Bradley was on top of ten years of source code legacy and unit testing, I had to duplicate it all from scratch just by feeling my way through it.

The containers are another marked improvement over CDS but without the icon and the contents count they were very unfriendly in V1. V2 I added these and other features and tried to make them super easy to use with a right click to drop an item in one of the slots.

Dorateen

Arcane

You need to have the necromancer cast the spell Cerebral Shield on himself to restore spirit lost from the fear effect. As Cleve mentioned above, the class functions differently than other classes. Another example is that resurrection will not work on necromancer, you need the spell Raise Dead.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet

As designed. Many spells have different effects depending on the context.

The Necromancer is getting some serious beefup in the next release, persevering with them they will likely end up one of the best classes.

Swimming is never meant to be easy. I adjusted it many times to mimic Crusaders Wiz 7 to make sure that swimming any length is always much harder than hitching a ride on some kind of flotation device, be it a turtle, seahorse or boat. I swam all the way across the sea in Crusaders by casting spells to restore vitality over and over again. Even then, it was not easy. I thought this made perfect sense even with 100 swimming skill.

Most of the mechanics in Grimoire come from playing Crusaders and watching the way the math works very carefully and then trying to mimic it exactly. I was that impressed by the balance in the game and the general bezier curves of skills versus effort.

Crusaders continues to this day to achieving an almost perfect balance in these things. Just because it has exploits like the Nuclear Pineapple does not mean it is unbalanced at all. In fact, having exploits makes the game ten times more fun. I was trying to get that zeitgeist into Grimoire. I did it by playing CDS and then playing Grimoire and adjusting the math to try to sync them. Bradley was on top of ten years of source code legacy and unit testing, I had to duplicate it all from scratch just by feeling my way through it.

The containers are another marked improvement over CDS but without the icon and the contents count they were very unfriendly in V1. V2 I added these and other features and tried to make them super easy to use with a right click to drop an item in one of the slots.

That's what I thought when I got cursed, it made sense since a Necromancer is more of an evil class.
I absolutely agree with swimming, and I don't think you need to make it any easier. It's good to have walls like that to force you to find out how to progress.

On rust/acid destroying equipment; I think I know my key issue with it. Having permanent equipment destruction without a well paired item economy to replace the lost equipment is where the issue is. If you have too plentiful an item economy, rust/acid destruction becomes trivialized and ignorable, but if you have a sparse economy, they are absolutely devastating to the point that you may be without armor and weapons for your entire party for a long while. I say this in respect to the samhain location of the game where I'm currently at, the first (of possibly more later in the game) locations where enemies appear with acid/rust abilities to destroy your equipment. So far I haven't seen Smither's restock his selling inventory, so I suppose the first question would be, do NPCs restock their items for sale? If not, there is a very real possibility that someone not save scumming shamelessly can lose all of their equipment (or have to play through several areas without any equipment). Even selling the basic trash items Smithers has is something I would very much recommend to be able to restock on in some form to alleviate this, while expecting the player to take off their more unique/powerful items until they get past these enemies if they don't want to lose them. Was your intention for playing through areas like this to just strip the entire party of all their items?

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I just looked at my petrified duck cleric and lo and behold
source.gif

He was no longer petrified! But he had a full sleep bar, and after curing the sleep with a spell, in the middle of the next combat he became human again.

And then I just used my last perk key (the third so far, I got a red robe that has 20 ac and a ring for my first two) in the mausoleum of samhain and found a moon lance. After identifying it I swear I was misreading the damage for a moment when I saw 6d8.
:what:

Edit: And then I just discovered the hidden passage in the temple baths, I knew Argosyre was up to something!
:stunned:

Last edited:

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Would I be correct in believing that if I were to try to structure the game into different acts, uncovering the mystery of Crowl and resolving their plight would be the first major arc?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Would I be correct in believing that if I were to try to structure the game into different acts, uncovering the mystery of Crowl and resolving their plight would be the first major arc?

There aren't really arcs as such, more like region focussed storylines that sometimes span several regions. Once you finish the first part of the game you can go literally anywhere you like.

Efe

Erudite
would someone with editing skills please put cleve on illidians face when hes saying you're not prepared?

GandGolf

Augur
...Most of the mechanics in Grimoire come from playing Crusaders and watching the way the math works very carefully and then trying to mimic it exactly. I was that impressed by the balance in the game and the general bezier curves of skills versus effort...

You're only supposed to take the good mechanics, but ditch the annoying ones.

The player map for wizardry 7 was better also, with different colors for the floors and walls depending on if they were grass, town, cave, or dungeon. The ability to add notes to the map that Grimoire added was nice though, I do admit.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom