Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you’re calling JA2 an RPG, then I vote:

Age of Wonders 2 SM, and Heroes of Might and Magic 3.
AoW 2 - maybe, if you stretch really *really* hard, and without SoM.
And HoMM 3 is a hard no. Maybe HoMM 4, but even that one is a very *very* hard stretch.

Like... this is how it feels debating with Lilura (the following images are SFW, but they are large):

giphy.gif

And this is how it feels like debating with you:

giphy.gif

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron

AoE 2 - maybe, if you stretch really *really* hard, and without SoM.
And HoMM 3 is a hard no. Maybe HoMM 4, but even that one is a very *very* hard stretch.

Like... this is how it feels debating with Lilura (the following images are SFW, but they are large):

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

A little hatchling is no match for an experienced Dragon Lady.

laclongquan

Arcane
The RPG is not even complete.
Also, thoughts on King of Dragon Pass? It's not a standard RPG, but worth considering, and very polished.
I love KoDP, but definitely wouldn't call it a masterpiece (if being a masterpiece requires that the game be near-flawless, as the OP seems to think). For one thing, as far as I can tell, there is really only one viable way to play the game and win: be crazy generous all the time, don't pillage too often, and don't ever piss off the non-human enemies (e.g. trolls). There are other issues, like many of the seemingly-innocuous early-game decisions making the game completely impossible later on (e.g. your initial choice of an ancestral enemy), and it being kinda random whether you succeed at hero quests. Still, despite this stuff, it's a great game.

WRONG!

There is a way to play rich guy, like worship the god of artisan, concentrate on the artisan portion of population, open up trade route etc... In my run it's viable to win second, not Kingship, because the chief was too old. It's a strange and very different way from other plays.

There is also a way expand a clan as big as possible. And the way it ism to raid EVERYONE touching our border. I did it. It's hard because we got retalitation raids every time. It's good because you can use Earthblood ritual thus get rich crop every year. This is also quite different.

Of course, there's also the normal win way everybody can play.

If ToEE hadn't been bug riddled at release then it would be a masterpiece as it is a near perfect computer game adaptation of the D&D 3.5 ruleset and combat, supported by a faithful recreation of a pnp adventure module.

Deus Ex is one of my favorite games but it sure as shit is not a masterpiece if going by the definition that a masterpiece is an as-close-as-possible-to-perfect work. Game is riddled with problems, specifically being far too easy given the amount of options you are given, enemy AI is braindead, which allows stealth to be too easily abused, it was a pretty bad looking game even at release, level design could be inconsistent, and so on. Thief: The Dark Project and Prey 2017 are near to masterpieces of that genre, but both of them have issues as well, especially Prey with, again, being too easy given the amount of options the player is given (common theme with this sub-genre).

I would agree with aweigh as far as a lot of JRPGs being close to masterpieces, simply because they limit themselves far more than western RPGs in terms of how many mechanics they implement, and thereby are able to focus on perfecting what they do choose to implement. Personally I'd put something like Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne.
I could played endless modules in the ToEE engine as my only video game for the rest of my life if someone would just fucking make the damn thing...how hard could it be? ... I think it would sell well too, just copy the damn thing and then paste old DnD modules into it..fuck..maybe if I get enough money someday I will give it a go and fuck it all up and everyone can laugh at me

Last edited:
Ultima Underworld is probably the truest masterpiece in RPGs, but it's also a masterpiece beyond the RPG genre which is extremely rare.

Dark Sun is a possible contender as an RPG.

If we venture into RPG hybrids then Sacrifice is definitely a masterpiece

as someone who is EAGERLY awaiting KOTC2... it looks like dogshit. the tokens do not look great.

Says a lot about our society that I'd prefer the first game's graphics. I dunno I just don't dig the board game look, especially when it's not even as aesthetically pleasing as the d20 roll app used by WOTC for running digital campaigns, which is already quite lo-fi.

The game will (probably) still be amazing tho and that's what matters most.
I am hoping someone will eventually upgrade the games visuals to those you find in those type of apps you mention...BTW what is this?

is this similar to KoTC2? seems like maybe, but with better art? Or am I giving it the ability to do more than its capable of..

Gibson

Learned
Masterpiece: A work of outstanding skill, mastery or workmanship. In other words, it isn't enough for an RPG to have great this or great that, but fail elsewhere.

a few moments later:

- Fallout (PC)
- Deus Ex (PC)
- Jagged Alliance 2 (PC)
- Diablo (PC)

the above have great this or that, but they fail elsewhere, so...

giphy.gif

d1nolore

Savant

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

HoMM 2 > HoMM 3 > HoMM 4

Heroes of Might and Magic 4 was a shit show. Released buggy and with no multi-player, no physical manual, subpar for the series legacy. The new style with fighting hero's was hit and miss with fans.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

HoMM 2 > HoMM 3 > HoMM 4

Heroes of Might and Magic 4 was a shit show. Released buggy and with no multi-player, no physical manual, subpar for the series legacy. The new style with fighting hero's was hit and miss with fans.
It had barbarians though.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
For me personally, Icewind Dale fits the bill. Yes, it is rather limited in quest complexity or reactivity, but it does exactly what it wants to be, has masterfully executed graphics, sound/music and atmosphere and offers huge replayability. I know of no other game that does dungeon romping as well as this one.

Diablo.

Diablo is a masterpiece.

Icewind Dale is a Baldur's Gate mod. Thus, it can never be a masterpiece.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom