Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
nice try but that was a successful check that happened after picking an option saying 'Take the pry bar'

i'm not surprised nobody noticed that because people are by and large dumb

and who knows, because of that mayhap they need to have it spelled out verbatim what a pry bar does, so they treat it as amazung gaemplayz

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
nice try but that was a successful check that happened after picking an option saying 'Take the pry bar'

and who knows, because of that mayhap they need to have it spelled out verbatim what a pry bar does, so they treat it as amazung gaemplayz
Don't excuse your authism with us being dumb mate. Also you do know that you play as character with full on amnesia,that doesn't even know the concept of money?! The game doesn't explains that shit to you but to the character,that is why it is filled with all those dialogues with different aspects. Maybe you are getting dumb with old age roxor,you liked deadfire,then you went on and liked druid stone....what is next,liking outer worlds?

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex

Yes, but why play ELEX when you can play Gothic 2

You still haven't answered the fundamental question Darth Turd

Shadenuat

Arcane

Don't excuse your authism with us being dumb mate. Also you do know that you play as character with full on amnesia,that doesn't even know the concept of money?! The game doesn't explains that shit to you but to the character,that is why it is filled with all those dialogues with different aspects. Maybe you are getting dumb with old age roxor,you liked deadfire,then you went on and liked druid stone....what is next,liking outer worlds?
i honestly think it's a joke. Perception does this all the time: some important dialogue, and if your Perception is very high, then just like it states in description, it notices unnecessary things and states obvious things: dialogue dialogue dialogue buzz is buzzing outside 66 degrees to the left dialogue
Encyclopedia does the same, but really, it's a thing about any skill taken to very high - it does absurdy things.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

i honestly think it's a joke. Perception does this all the time: some important dialogue, and if your Perception is very high, then just like it states in description, it notices unnecessary things and states obvious things: dialogue dialogue dialogue buzz is buzzing outside 66 degrees to the left dialogue
Encyclopedia does the same, but really, it's a thing about any skill taken to very high - it does absurdy things.
It could be,it is a game that everyone have a different experience. I don't know what happened to him to get that butthurt so...

Shadenuat

Arcane

It could be,it is a game that everyone have a different experience. I don't know what happened to him to get that butthurt so...
well it kinda written right in every skill description.

c7vklkui79y31.png
hmm i dk

Electrochemistry: :drink:

savoir faire: :slamdunk:

encyclopedia: :littlemissfun:

etc. continue im not great at this

Tigranes

Arcane
BTW, the difference is that a Fallout "intelligence" check is meant to give you smart and helpful things all of the time by passing increasingly high intelligence checks

Disco Elysium skills are more like one-dimensional autistic NPCs where Perception just wants to Perceive things no matter how profound or moronically obvious and won't STFU

Every player in the universe of course realised this the moment they left the first room and Electrochemistry went OMG SMOKE CIGS PLEASE OH GOD with no regard for whether it is a good idea

Or they realised it in the character creation screen when the game told you literally this is how skills work

But not Darth Roxor, the great heroe of the Codex, for he walks on edges where few dare to tread

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
that's a lot of rationalisation to excuse this game's intellectual dishonesty

if the chain of events was: dialogue option "1. Take the bent piece of metal" -> "[Perception] This is a pry bar!", i wouldn't bat an eye

but when it's: "1. Take the pry bar" -> "[Perception] This is a pry bar!", then my eye certainly starts twitching

bataille

Arcane

The observation that the pry bar-related perception check is dumb is of the exact same intellectual caliber as the very check you're criticizing. People are not stupid: they have been pointing out some quite obscure and non-obvious things about the narrative since the release, so I don't think they were so braindead they didn't notice an elephant like this one. It's not smart, it's petty.

If you want to pass some genuinely non-trivial perception checks to brag about (as a player), then don't get hung up on the trivial ones and march on. There's plenty of harder challenges for the curious mind (some of which you must have encountered prior to getting inside the carriage, too).

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
at least shadowrun waifufall doesn't have skill checks that reveal the purpose of a pry bar to me but maybe this is some of that muh dekonstrukshunizm that i've heard so much about
I don't remember the particular thing you're talking about with specificity, but I think it actually is "muh dekonstrukshunizm." Kind of funny to put a trivial intelligence check as the means by which obvious tutorial hints are delivered.

Tigranes

Arcane
Come on, roxor, give me something to work here. As if "take bent metal stick" -> "Oh a prybar!" would actually be any better.

You should wait until Empathy tells you "He must be angry!"

Or, rather, you should wait until Empathy starts misleading you towards getting Stockholm Syndrome with the suspect/witness - or when Half-Light focuses more on being aggressive rather than the smart melee attack option until you get fucked in the head.

Roxor won't have a clue about this as he hasn't seen the content, but looking at the game as a whole, I do think there should be more of those moments where the Thoughts are actively fighting against / contradicting each other or leading you down the wrong chute. I think part of the issue is that too much of the dialogue is still built around the "ask questions 1, 2, 3, 4" format, which AOD successfully moves away from, but is perhaps harder here as a detective game.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I do think there should be more of those moments where the Thoughts are actively fighting against / contradicting each other or leading you down the wrong chute. I think part of the issue is that too much of the dialogue is still built around the "ask questions 1, 2, 3, 4" format, which AOD successfully moves away from, but is perhaps harder here as a detective game.
Very much
yes.png
You remember when at one point Harry falls in love and thoughts not yet incapacitated by this affection start to wage a losing battle against it? When suddenly you can't trust your character? Conceptually the best moment of this game, narratively far from an important one and I know that, don't misunderstand me, what I want to say is that there should be much more of these moments. More in like cubic meters of quantity.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
Stats having their own "personalities" is definitely one of the best parts of the game. There are many examples of this, as the game likes to play around with the system but one of the ones that stuck out to be was when
Encyclopedia kept giving the wrong answers to the Innocence Quiz. In a standard RPG you'd think a stat like encyclopedia would always be right and whenever it would trigger you would just pick that option, no downsides. Not the case here. And it wasn't the only time either. Same with Logic, a stat which tries to view situations from a rational point, but in a world that is not always logical
Also one of my favorite parts:
8ORpIHS.png

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Come on, roxor, give me something to work here. As if "take bent metal stick" -> "Oh a prybar!" would actually be any better.
I think a more legitimate question/grievance with the crowbar, wire cutter, and flashlight is that it's trivially easy to get them, you get them all at once, their uses are totally predictable, and thus the mechanic of requiring you to swap among them is kind of time-wasting in a bad-adventure-game way (e.g., where a character says, "Give me the cake" and then you have to select the cake from your inventory and give it to them).

bataille

Arcane
at least shadowrun waifufall doesn't have skill checks that reveal the purpose of a pry bar to me but maybe this is some of that muh dekonstrukshunizm that i've heard so much about
I don't remember the particular thing you're talking about with specificity, but I think it actually is "muh dekonstrukshunizm." Kind of funny to put a trivial intelligence check as the means by which obvious tutorial hints are delivered.

I think he means a passive interfacing check when the tinker boy expresses his excitement about prying things open with the thingie. But I may be wrong: I hadn't put any points in perception when I got the pry bar.

If that's the check, then I don't think it was supposed to be a tutorial. The game spells out all the intricacies of using a pry bar in a vulgarly decontextualized tutorial message later on.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
I think a more legitimate question/grievance with the crowbar, wire cutter, and flashlight is that it's trivially easy to get them, you get them all at once, their uses are totally predictable, and thus the mechanic of requiring you to swap among them is kind of time-wasting in a bad-adventure-game way (e.g., where a character says, "Give me the cake" and then you have to select the cake from your inventory and give it to them).

Agreed. There are numerous examples of Disco Elysium taking the easy way out when there is clearly an opportunity for a clever take that would be in line with what makes DE so good elsewhere. There are certain Important Items that you learn in the first day that you should hunt for, and given the interesting rigamaroles around some of the objects/facts you find on the first day, you learn to anticipate the discovery of other such nuggets down the road. It is then a big disappointment when some of those items turn out to be gifted to you once enough time passes.

Best example being the badge: all that buildup around losing it, and oh there it is literally the moment you pass the time-gated bridge. There's no mystery or cleverness in connecting the bridge, either. The gun at least has an interesting character/dialogue associated with it, but the actual process of recovering it is railroaded and boring.

In many places, Disco Elysium indeed resembles a highly ambitious game that should have been not necessarily bigger, but far more layered in its nonlinearity and the exponential combinations of different Thoughts and choices. It is, ultimately, not quite nonlinear/varied enough to truly be a classic. Judged as a first game by a new studio, it's a great game with an inimitable style, but that doesn't mean we can't point out this weakness.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The bridge is super weird, and feels quite a bit like the kind of cuts I recall happening in TTON where a somewhat arbitrary late-stage change is made to massively reduce the amount of branching, since it has become apparent there is no way to address it otherwise.

The problem with the bridge is that the bridge being impassable has no thematic weight (as you point out) and the game assigns you, in the very first place you go to (the hostel bar/lobby) a quest that directs you to go the fishing village. The result is that it feels like you ought to be able to cross the bridge from the outset. I can forgive designers for foreclosing sequence-breaking openness for its own sake*, but going across the bridge on the first day wouldn't be a sign of a perverse player. It feels much more reasonable to go to the fishing village on the first day than it does to explore the back room of the book store (for instance), but you are allowed to do the latter but not allowed to do the former.

(* Obviously, "sequence-breaking openness for its own sake" is actually really cool, it's just a huge resource hog for something that a tiny number of players will experience, so I understand why a small team (or even a large team) engaged in triage would lop it off.)

I will add that the content across the bridge wasn't as good as the Martinaise content (not as well integrated, not as dense or organic, too much walking around, lack of a real map more annoying, etc.), so I can sort of see the benefit of blocking it on the first couple days, since a player who (logically, based on the cryptozoologist quest) went there off the bat might well quit the game in boredom / disappointment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom