Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pokemon Sword and Shield

flyingjohn

Arcane
You have to unlock the option to change sound control settings.

iu

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
They released an online bank with a subscription fee where you can store all your pokemon and the idea was that you could store your favorite mon and transfer them into the newest releases.
Well, that I didn't know about. That is indeed a collosally shitty move to exploit kids. Though you should feel dumb if you bought into it, there's obviously no way that's going to be sustainable. It'd be like Blizzard offering a service where you can port all your characters and items between every one of their games.
Why is not substainable? It's just a server that host a bit of data. Since all games use the same mechanics passing a poke between them is really easy.
The reason that they cut the dex was to avoid making some sprites and animations. Really a shit move to cut some costs, when they make millions of profit

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
They released an online bank with a subscription fee where you can store all your pokemon and the idea was that you could store your favorite mon and transfer them into the newest releases.
Well, that I didn't know about. That is indeed a collosally shitty move to exploit kids. Though you should feel dumb if you bought into it, there's obviously no way that's going to be sustainable. It'd be like Blizzard offering a service where you can port all your characters and items between every one of their games.
Why is not substainable? It's just a server that host a bit of data. Since all games use the same mechanics passing a poke between them is really easy.
The reason that they cut the dex was to avoid making some sprites and animations. Really a shit move to cut some costs, when they make millions of profit
Sprites, animations, sounds, of constantly increasing quality, for a constantly increasing number of different creatures? You may as well ask why they didn't add 30000000 new pokemon each generation. Why not add more? It's only expensive and time consuming! They have to draw the line somewhere.

The other half of it is gameplay. You need to rotate old stuff out to make room for new stuff that would otherwise be too similar or strictly inferior unless you want the game to turn into power creep bullshit where all the newest gen stuff has double the stats of gen 1 stuff. Look at MTG. Look at any long standing competitive multiplayer game. Nobody carries over everything from previous iterations forever. That would be insane.

The shitty move was offering the server in the first place. Or rather, charging for it. Having an easy method to transfer what can be transferred is good. Charging kids for a service that might be utterly useless to them because the pokemon they stored can't actually be transferred is a huge dick move. Kids don't know any better and their parents can't be expected to understand the game well enough to foresee the problem. But if you're enough of a nerd to be here, you should have seen this coming as easily as Diablo 4 being online only and having a cash shop.

Tehdagah

Arcane
They should've created a Pokemon game with a full new cast of creatures. It's already time.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
They should've created a Pokemon game with a full new cast of creatures. It's already time.
The thing they need least is making new pokemons. They need to make a region with the best pokemon from the pool they already have, anfld improvements in all game mechanics. They are reselling basically the same game for 20 years.
A revolution is needed.
If the new game with improved gameplay sells well, they can build on it and start adding new pokes every now and then.
Since GF is so greedy and risk adverse they will continue this path until a huge drop in sales happens. Hopefully this will be the time

biggestboss

Liturgist
I’m going to buy the game tomorrow, but I do hope that sales get hit big time for all these cut corners Game Freak has been making. I accept all cuck ratings for this post.

Garbage

Learned
I’m going to buy the game tomorrow, but I do hope that sales get hit big time for all these cut corners Game Freak has been making. I accept all cuck ratings for this post.

Why can't you wait a week and buy a second hand copy instead? That way Game Freak isn't getting any money from you and you won't fuck over the series for the rest of us.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I'd say if better gameplay is what you're after one of the modden versions is probably your best bet. I've no idea which one, but I'm sure someone else has thought of it before.

biggestboss

Liturgist
I loved playing through Blaze Black and Blaze Black 2. Never really liked any of the other ones because they generally deviate too far from the source material.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
Apparently, controversy is brewing. At this rate the shitflinging around the game could very well become more entertaining than the game itself.

Codex Year of the Donut
In fact, compared to previous Pokemon games, they look fantastic – and there’s no sign of the framerate stutter that was so common on the 3DS during battles. Some of the new unique attack animations are really damn cool (Nintendo doesn’t want us to talk about them in detail quite yet, but take my word for it). They really stand out against some of the older moves, which can be stiff and plain.
https://nordic.ign.com/pokemon-sword-nintendo-switch/31215/review/pokemon-sword-and-shield-review

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Ironically, these "HD assets" are the ones used in the latest 3DS game. They are HD because they run at higher resolutions, not because they were rebuilt from the ground up.

they are the same exact models and yet have different polygon counts...

curious.

I mean, feel free to think that subdiving polygons and shit counts as "rebuilding a model", but everyone knows you can easily do that. And indeed, some people take it to retarded extremes:

avlwxq1y3ao21.jpg

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant

You mean like they did 9 years ago with Pokemon Black and White?
And the fanbase still found a way to bitch and moan about that, as I recall. I respected the effort with BW/BW2, but by then I feel like several adverse trends that had been plaguing the series since R/S/E days had finally progressed way too far for the effort to matter much.

Gerrard

Arcane
At least the rave battle music is in, too bad those gym leader battles are a fucking joke. How did it come to this after Ultra which had some of the most bullshit fights in the franchise history?

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
At least the rave battle music is in, too bad those gym leader battles are a fucking joke. How did it come to this after Ultra which had some of the most bullshit fights in the franchise history?
They used to make 'em harder. Fans complained about that too (see the simplification they had to perform on Platinum's gameflow because Millennials are too fucking stupid to understand the concept of "backtracking" and "exploration"). Hell, Gen. IV even had Gym Leaders that would partially fill their rosters with other Leader's type disciplines, so you couldn't just powerlevel literally one damn 'mon with their type weakness and steamroll the bastards. The autistic screeching was both sad and predictable. In a way, the fans killed the series before Gamefreak tried, same as with Zelda.

They're still honorary Jews for the current bullshit, though.
serveimage

They should make the "switch/set" choice more obvious, it's in the options screen alongside stuff like dialogue box borders and text speed and makes a world of difference without going overboard with difficulty for the kiddos. Seeing a Shield stream and it doesn't even give you the option at the beginning anymore.

Those tight ripped jeans make the boy look girlier than the girl. I like the Galar champion's cape being absolutely covered in sponsors though.

source.gif

edit: oh, a 2v1? Maybe there's hope the rival will be an asshole again.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom