Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline RPGs You Thought Were Good, But You Kinda Hate 'em

Falksi

Arcane
Chrono Trigger - Remember playing it and thinking "wow! This is fucking A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!" about 20 years ago. Returned to it last year, boring as fuck. The battles play themselves, the plot takes forever to get motoring, and the pacing is pretty poor too. Good graphics, great music and a hint of originality clearly blinded me back in t'day.

Baldurs Gate 2 - It's a classic. It is. It's a fucking brilliantly written & structured RPG, with absolutely tons to suck you in. But boy that fucking path-finding, it just wrecks everything. It's like fucking the sexiest, most dirtiest pair of women in the world, but one just can't help forcing 3 fingers up your arse every few minutes. No lube.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
All the SNES era JRPGs - I played them a ton as a little kid, before switching to PC around Lands of Lore time. There's no going back for me, even with nostalgia goggles. I get an hour in and can't take it anymore.

Betrayal at Krondor - I remembered fucking around with it as a tween and it being impressive, but going back and trying to really play it as an adult I just couldn't connect with it. The story was verbose without being interesting, the exploration and combat too clunky and bland. Maybe I'll try again someday, or watch a let's play.

Neverwinter Nights - A "3D" Baldur's Gate was fascinating to me at the time, but every time I try to replay it I'm amazed by how bland and ugly it really is.

Xeon

Augur
Witcher 1, I loved it and beat it several times, tried to replay it recently I just couldn't get into it, not sure if I have grown old or just got accustomed to modern games, but didn't like the combat at all.

Disgaea games, I loved them when I used to play them in middle school maxing my characters and whatever, tried playing them since they came to PC and man they were too grindy for me now, I didn't like it at all.

Falksi

Arcane
All the SNES era JRPGs - I played them a ton as a little kid, before switching to PC around Lands of Lore time. There's no going back for me, even with nostalgia goggles. I get an hour in and can't take it anymore.

Betrayal at Krondor - I remembered fucking around with it as a tween and it being impressive, but going back and trying to really play it as an adult I just couldn't connect with it. The story was verbose without being interesting, the exploration and combat too clunky and bland. Maybe I'll try again someday, or watch a let's play.

Neverwinter Nights - A "3D" Baldur's Gate was fascinating to me at the time, but every time I try to replay it I'm amazed by how bland and ugly it really is.

It's an interesting one that. I recently replayed FF5 and still had a hard on for it, but others I've tried - such as Chrono Trigger - were mostly bollocks.

Need to play through a few more to decide.

V_K

Arcane
Both Fallouts. I don't hate them, but somehow they just never "clicked" for me. While I can see how and why they are good games, I've tried playing them several times over the years, and somehow neither the story/setting, nor gameplay has ever managed to pull me in.

overly excitable young man

Both Fallouts. I don't hate them, but somehow they just never "clicked" for me. While I can see how and why they are good games, I've tried playing them several times over the years, and somehow neither the story/setting, nor gameplay has ever managed to pull me in.
iu

Tiger

Learned
I thought Divinity Original Sin was great when it first came out. Played maybe 30 hours or so, lost interest overnight and never went back. Something about it really puts me off now, watched some lets play of the second one and again, there's just something about the games I find a bit repulsive now. Maybe it's the overdone comedy of it all.

Gibson

Learned
Baldurs Gate 1

I actually prefer "low-levelness" of the first game. sure it feels powerful to be a wizard in bg2 and simply mow peasants down as you please, but going into durlags tower as a band of weaklings...pfff, palms are sweaty

Jack_Deth

Augur
Patron
Insert Title Here
I thought Divinity Original Sin was great when it first came out. Played maybe 30 hours or so, lost interest overnight and never went back. Something about it really puts me off now, watched some lets play of the second one and again, there's just something about the games I find a bit repulsive now. Maybe it's the overdone comedy of it all.

Slogged through D:OS but never cared for it for that reason. To me it's just a cover for poor writing. It's popularity seemed to stem from it's good coop implementation.

Exhuminator

Arcane
Many years ago, I spent way too long trying to convince myself that Sudeki was actually a decent Xbox RPG. Ultimately I gave up on that idea and admitted to myself it was a terrible pile of putrid bile. Unfortunately by the time I reached that point I was probably 2/3rds of the way through that shitfest.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Wasteland. Simply hate the characters.
And I've fucked around with better titles from late 80s.

Falksi

Arcane

I'm actually just trying to play through that now, and have had to quit because it's just too fucking fiddly.

It's environments are straight out of an action RPG game, and it makes the game way more work than it should be.

Falksi

Arcane
iu

Greta goes psycho!

She's certainly got that inner rage! Probably right footed though.......

Pearceroar_2944691.jpg

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

:updatedmytxt:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom