Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Flou

Arbiter
I just wish Avellone gets back together with Obsidian. These writers at Obsidian are good but lighthearted and lukewarm because of their tender female nature.
Obsidian needs someone to write dark, gritty, twisted, hardcore, punch-you-in-the-face sci-fi/fantasy.

Well. They haven't had a project like that so how do you know whether or not these writers are not capable of writing such stories? Deadfire wasn't dark, gritty or twisted because it's basically D&D with a different setting. The Outer World isn't dark or gritty either. It is a bit twisted, but more in a comedic way.
Tyranny definitely had it's moments, but at least on my playthrough it wasn't all that dark or gritty. Sure the setting is dark, but you can still be the good guy and then it just doesn't go into the darker stuff.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Well. They haven't had a project like that so how do you know whether or not these writers are not capable of writing such stories? Deadfire wasn't dark, gritty or twisted because it's basically D&D with a different setting.
Pillars is on its own. It can be however they imagine it. Deadfire could have been all of that.

Last edited:

Flou

Arbiter
Deadfire wasn't dark, gritty or twisted because it's basically D&D with a different setting

D&D games that I played were never as overwritten, pretentious or "progressive" as Deadfire. Maybe you played other games.

My point was that D&D games hardly were dark or gritty and with the Pillars setting they are trying to lure in those that are into D&D games (Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate). Not what Deadfire is compared to D&D games made 10-20 years ago. Wasn't Baldur's Gate: Dragonspear already a bit "progressive".

You have probably few games (Planescape: Torment and Mask of the Betrayer) that aren't just lighthearted adventures.

The Real Fanboy
Are they insane? Who would ever put her in charge of anything? She has literally not produced anything of value since she started at Obsidian.

How about she writes one one decent character, storyline or area before they hand her a leading position?

Is this the level they are at now? Holy hell.

She just wrote the most popular rpg character of 2019 (along with Chris L'Etoile)

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Passion project that includes co-op.
Divinity_Original_Sin_cover.png

Bonerbill

Augur
People liked Rekke, didn't they?

But hello, the reason you're talking about this is that LESS T_T noticed that her narrative lead credit was removed.

People did? A character with barely any dialogue that relies completely on a mystery box is not a character.

Oh, I mixed up the timeline.

All the sidekicks were more interesting than the main companions. Also, all the sidekicks get more dialogue in the DLCs.

Codex Year of the Donut

Asking 'cause I really don't know: Was co-op a big part of the game's success, i.e. did most people play it that way? I have basically ignored that entire aspect of the game.
I tried to play D:OS2 in coop and hated it. Felt like two people trying to read the same copy of a book at the same time. But apparently a lot of people like it for some reason.
I think it lets normies play RPGs without having to actually focus on the story or characters at all, which is an …interesting way to market RPGs to normies.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Playable? Keyboard and mouse?

(Yeah, a gamepad there too, looks like they're giving choice to previewers. Also the boards under TVs notifying the game is under embargo.)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well get back to Obsidian general: https://www.usgamer.net/articles/ob...nt-plan-on-expanding-too-much-under-microsoft

Obsidian CEO Says It Doesn't Plan On Expanding Too Much Under Microsoft
More resources doesn't mean Feargus Urquhart wants giant teams.

Obsidian Entertainment has found a new home in the Xbox stable of studios, but that doesn't mean the developer will be expanding in size anytime soon. Despite the Microsoft support, it sounds like CEO Feargus Urquhart wants to keep things on a relatively smaller scale.

Speaking at a recent event to press, Urquhart said that while the studio's been on an upward trend since Pillars of Eternity, Obsidian doesn't plan on going above a 200-employee benchmark.

"Are teams going to be a little larger? Yes," Urquhart says. "Are we going to have a larger outsourcing budget? Yes. I mean, Assassin's Creed is awesome, all of those games are awesome, but I don't think we need to compete with numbers."

Obsidian has operated for a while as a smaller team, though it had some tough times around Pillars of Eternity after Fallout writer Chris Avellone brought some studio failings to light. Hopefully under Microsoft and Xbox, Obsidian is finding a more stable platform and less issues.

Last month, Obsidian designer Brian Hines told Wccftech that the studio is focusing more on games, rather than pitching ideas. The Outer Worlds is the first of that bunch, a Fallout-style sci-fi RPG that received good praise, and today Obsidian revealed its next project, the shrunken survival game Grounded, at the X019 press conference. Though it's juggling multiple projects, it sounds like Urquhart wants to keep things small at Obsidian Entertainment, even under a massive umbrella like Microsoft's.

"I don't want to do thousand-person teams," Urquhart says.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/obsidian-founder-feargus-urquhart-rpgs

Obsidian Founder Feargus Urquhart, Whose Credits Include Fallout, Wants to be a Game Director Again
After years on the business side, founder Feargus Urquhart is ready to make games again.

It's been quite a while since Feargus Urquhart has had an opportunity to roll up his sleeves and really make games. As one of the founding members of Obsidian Entertainment, he's had to deal with many of the more business-focused aspects of being a leader, like raising money to keep his niche studio afloat.

But with Microsoft now in charge of the purse strings and Obsidian's future secure, Urquhart seems ready to get back to his roots as a developer. At a recent event hosted by Obsidian, Urquhart talked openly of his desire to get back into making games.

"I want to make roleplaying games. My partners want to make roleplying games. This is the best place to do it, why not do it," Urquhart says.

These comments can be construed as a firm commitment to the studio by Urquhart in the wake of speculation that he might depart after the sale.

"We all joked about sitting on a beach on Fiji," Urquhart says. "I think that would be fun for a month, but after your 47th Mai Tai... my partners and I got into this to make games."

As for what role in game development Urquhart might take, he laughingly says, "Meddling." But then he adds, "I would like to be a game director again."

Urquhart, of course, has a long and impressive history with RPGs in particular. His resume includes the first two Fallout games, as well as the original Baldur's Gate, which was developed in partnership with BioWare.

Apart from that, Urquhart doesn't seem keen to change much at Obsidian Entertainment. While it will have a larger outsourcing budget, he plans to keep the studio at roughly the same headcount. There will be no thousand person teams at Obsidian, he says.

In the meantime, Obsidian just announced its first game as a proper Microsoft studio—Grounded, a co-op survival game that resembles Honey, I Shrunk the Kids. It also recently released The Outer Worlds, a new first-person RPG that has garnered positive reviews.

In the short-term at least, it doesn't seem like Obsidian is going to be shaking things up too much. But regardless what happens, it'll be nice to see a game development veteran like Urquhart climb back into the director's chair.

"I would like to be a game director again."

giphy.gif

Codex Year of the Donut
The last two games Feargus was credited in a creative role for were MotB and Kotor2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom