Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rune II: Decapitation Edition - abandoned by Human Head Studios, still causing drama

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
If Prey 2 was coming out before Dishonored, as it was supposed to be, this could have caused some serious ripples in the stale FPS genre.

But as of today, I expect nothing from these guys anymore. They are as dead as Raven Software.
How is making of another popamole ps shooter is refreshing a stale genre? Also selling millions of copies is hardly stale genre. If anything is stale,is our taste for shooters :(.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Prey 2 looked amazing due to the gunplay and the verticality with the parkour elements, especially back in 2011 where everything had to be the next Call of Duty. To this day there is nothing like it on the market, I will never understand why they cancelled it.

Sinatar

Arbiter
Prey 2 looked amazing due to the gunplay and the verticality with the parkour elements, especially back in 2011 where everything had to be the next Call of Duty. To this day there is nothing like it on the market, I will never understand why they cancelled it.

Take a look at The Quiet Man and Rune II to understand why they cancelled it.

Irata

Scholar
Too bad they went survival. I think even a half-way decent ultra-violent 1st or 3rd person game would have sold well today. Hacking off an arm and then beating them with it.

Maybe we'll get a "Die by the Sword 2" someday.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I really don't understand what behooves people to make a sequel to a game only to completely change its nature and genre. Fuck, at this point a level for level remake of Rune would have been more interesting.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I really don't understand what behooves people to make a sequel to a game only to completely change its nature and genre. Fuck, at this point a level for level remake of Rune would have been more interesting.

I suspect the way how technology and tools have evolved has a lot to do with it. Not to mention the different training younger designers are receiving.

Rune was made with UE1, with a BSP-based level editor. There simply was no other choice but to create tight levels that required of lot of skill and improvisation to fake a lived in world. It was that sort of restriction that encouraged creativity. Also it was a time when interdisciplinary exchange from the animation/film industries was still very rare. Designers and artists were mostly autodictates, not Digipen or Pixar alumni.

If you look at UE4 today, it almost pushes you to design a game in a certain way. More fabricated, that is. Of course the argument then always is "Well, it's simply too expensive to create our own engine or alter commercial solutions to our likings". Perhaps, but perhaps it's also because developers have simply unlearned to face an experimentational, unknown journey.

Funnily enough, Prey (2017) is the one recent game that still feels like it was designed with that philosophy in mind.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Cool looking press demo doesn't mean the game was anywhere near being actually good or developed well.

LudensCogitet

Learned

I suspect the way how technology and tools have evolved has a lot to do with it. Not to mention the different training younger designers are receiving.

Rune was made with UE1, with a BSP-based level editor. There simply was no other choice but to create tight levels that required of lot of skill and improvisation to fake a lived in world. It was that sort of restriction that encouraged creativity. Also it was a time when interdisciplinary exchange from the animation/film industries was still very rare. Designers and artists were mostly autodictates, not Digipen or Pixar alumni.

If you look at UE4 today, it almost pushes you to design a game in a certain way. More fabricated, that is. Of course the argument then always is "Well, it's simply too expensive to create our own engine or alter commercial solutions to our likings". Perhaps, but perhaps it's also because developers have simply unlearned to face an experimentational, unknown journey.

Funnily enough, Prey (2017) is the one recent game that still feels like it was designed with that philosophy in mind.

^ This here may embody the essence of decline. ^

Chasing the ever receding dragon of modern graphical quality, inflating the budget until risk or a small audience is unacceptable, "training" kids in droves as though game development was merely an industrial trade with settled practices, acting as though the technological underpinnings of a game can just be farmed out using a generic third party solution.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
My thoughts from an hour gameplay video - if there was no stupid crafting and building I'd probably buy it right now. Such a fucking shame it's not a straight up Dark Souls-esque aRPG with Nordic themes.

Not writing the game off though, I wrote off Outward initially due to the crafting/survival mechanics too and then I liked it.

Codex Year of the Donut
To be fair to InXile, they did make a blobber with UE4.

V_K

Arcane

Take a look at The Quiet Man and Rune II to understand why they cancelled it.
But then you'll have to start wondering why they ended up buying the studio that made such amazing stuff.

Codex Year of the Donut
Is Rune II very terrible later on? I played about an hour in he beginning and it seems to be a dumb hack and slash. Fun enough but without much substance. Do things change? Any interesting mechanics? Ways to have fun?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Played for like 3 hours, got repetitive very quickly. Rune 1 was about navigating linear but cool dungeons and worlds, dealing with traps, ambushes and tough battles. No grinding, it was about skill.

Rune 2 is the exact opposite, an open world with no unique landmarks or dungeons, just islands covered in generic snow and forests. There you grind for XP and Diablo-like loot from respawning enemies and chase artifacts until you are strong enough to beat Loki. This is a poor man's Breath of the Wild, not a Rune sequel.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I got the first artifact, was sent to face Loki.
He kicked me out, I had to search for two other artifacts.
I got the two artifacts, was sent to face Loki.
I beated him, he kicked me out, now I have to search for three other artifacts.

Yeah, I'm done with this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom